Electrical-can't get my electrical heater started. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2017, 06:31 AM   #1

Electrical-can't get my electrical heater started.

Going to Yellowstone tomorrow night and have no clue why I can't turn it on?
robertmarchiony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:06 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Is this a built-in or stand-alone electric heater? For a stand-alone, you may want to check it in another power outlet either in the trailer or at another source. There may be an internal fuse tripped/blown. For a built-in electric heater, did you trip a circuit breaker or blow a panel fuse? Check that first. Our propane heater wouldn't work when we were stuck in a Wyoming blizzard last year, so we picked up a small milk house heater at a hardware store and that worked fine as a replacement for a few days, too.

Hint: you will find people really eager to give helpful suggestions here if you can provide more background info pertaining to any questions you have. For example...type of trailer, age of trailer, type of heater, etc. Good luck!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #3

Sorry to state the problem I'm having wrong. It's the electrical thermostat that will not start the pilot to get the heater going. It is a built in scamp heater. We have had problems with blown fuses. Both on the battery and on the privacy lights (interior)on one side of the scamp. Lights on the other side are working fine. Our power converter which we plug-in before we start our trip keeps coming unplugged due to trailer vibration. So when we get to a destination the lights on that side of the trailer are always blown. This has happened a few times already. Don't know if the two problems are connected??
robertmarchiony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:25 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Symptoms,
when turned on does the fan come on?
Do you hear a TIC, TIC,TIC as the igniter tries to light.
Is there a battery in your thermostat.
when was the last time you have turned on the heater and it has ran properly?
is the gas tank full and working properly. test the stove with all burners lit to check propane flow and pressure. this will also help purge the line.
is the gas going to the heater turned on.
is their a separate power on switch at the heater under the cover.
are you plugged into 120 volt ac or running on battery?
if running on battery is your battery voltage over 12.5 volts?
If voltage at the heater is too low the fan wont turn fast enough to make contact at the sail switch to send power to the gas solenoid.
Model and brand of your heater?
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The converter becoming deenergized due to the cord coming unplugged should not cause the 12VDC fuse to open.
I think Steve Baz gave you the best path to follow.
It's easy to check and see if the thermostat is the problem
, just place a wire jumper across the 2 terminals on the Tstat.
If the furnace doesn't start the firing sequence with the Tstat jumpered then the problem is not the thermostat.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
My 29 year old Atwood will make the ticking noises but often not ignite. A couple sharp taps with a screwdriver and hammer on the gas valve seems to get it going. Obviously a sticking valve that I need to replace. So, listen for that ticking noise!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:11 AM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp 13'
New York
Problems with scamp heater

Well I started a new post as I could not figure out how to reply to another members heater problem. Ours is a 2017 Scamp and from the begining the heater wouls work sometimes and not other times. At first I thought the problem was the gas gauge I had attached to the tank. Them I thought the problem was that the tank was not full enough. As it turns out, the problem was that the front grill on the heater was loose. Once tightened, the heater work percectly every time.
Bob Greene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical