Electrical Connector Clamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2019, 03:59 PM   #1

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Electrical Connector Clamp

This is a small question. We just returned from a trip, during which I lost the black, plastic, screw, band clamp that was provided by Casita as a way to secure the eletrical connector to the vehicle.

However, I cannot find a similar one online, and Casita does not list them in their parts lists.

What are these kinds of clamps called, and where can I buy a replacement?

Thanks in advance,
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:05 PM   #2

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Our Ace Hardware has a rack in the back with a lot of little screws, bands, etc. in it. I noticed the other day that there were plastic screws as well and it might be a good place to start. It may be something used that is not specific to electrical, but used for a lot of things. Might also find in a auto parts store as it seems that many wire harnesses use similar things.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:26 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I never liked that silly thing that came with the trailer, and so I replaced it with a short nylon web strap with Velcro on it. Takes two seconds to put on instead of five minutes of messing around with that screw type thing. Holds every bit as secure, if not better, and it is so easy now. I'd never buy, or use, one of those screw type things ever again.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:16 PM   #4

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
I use a small bungee cord.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #5

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Check Little House Customs. They use to carry them.
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:57 AM   #6

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Clamp

Thanks,

Little House does carry them. Seeing them there after your comment, I googled the term "multiclamp" used at Little House, and I found them on Ebay for a little cheaper.

They are called Camco 39103 Multi Clamp at as little as $4.95 with free shipping. Before I order one, I will try the other suggestions of a bungee cord (have a lot of bungee material) or Velcro strap (have some of those too).

Thanks,
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #7

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Harbor Freight sells Velcro by the rolls which might work and its always handy to have some along. https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=velcro%20roll
Old 09-01-2019, 04:01 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
It seems kind of silly to me try and invent something comes with a standard 7 pin connector. The dust door of the TV side and a feature that catches on the opposite feature in on the 7 pin plug connected to a cord to the trailer. Works good and has been used successfully for many years on millions of trailers.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:37 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Multi clamp

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:38 PM   #10

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
The dust door of the TV side and a feature that catches on the opposite feature in on the 7 pin plug connected to a cord to the trailer. Works good and has been used successfully for many years on millions of trailers.[/QUOTE]

Our dust door catch won't stay down without a little bungee cord.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:41 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eberhardt View Post
The dust door of the TV side and a feature that catches on the opposite feature in on the 7 pin plug connected to a cord to the trailer. Works good and has been used successfully for many years on millions of trailers.
Our dust door catch won't stay down without a little bungee cord.[/QUOTE]

that suggests the spring is broken on it.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:45 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I tried a bungee and found it made matters worse, but good luck.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:46 AM   #13

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
I had one of those "multi clamp" gizmos that the previous owner included when I purchased my 2007 Casita. However, after 12 years, it simply "wore out" and the adjustment knob no longer had the grip to snug up the connector.

But I spotted one of those things that (younger) folks use to gather their hair into a "pony tail" and that seems to work just fine. It's small enough that I don't need to double it up like a rubber band and it has just enough elasticity to snug up the TT connector around the seven pin connector cover on my TV.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:11 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Alabama
I use a wire tie and just cut it off when I arrive.
StevenMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #15

Name: Wendy
Trailer: shopping
California
You might give Casita a call to see if they have the part. Not all available parts are listed on their parts wbsite.
Westwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2019 Casita SD, former HiLo and Sunline
Florida
Velcro web strap

I second Casita Greg’s solution. The plastic screw type doodad that we got with our Casita was a nuisance to use and proved flat unreliable. We chucked it out after our first trip. A Velcro web strap is a simple and foolproof way for assuring that the mud cap continues to secure the connector plug. We bought a pkg of ten 12”-long Velcro straps for $12 from Amazon, and have found many uses for them in addition to securing our TV - trailer connector plug.
Dave40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I don't get it. 3 different tow vehicles w/ 7 blade connectors, and 3 different trailers, over a 20 year period, never had any issues with the trailer cord coming unplugged just relying on the notch on the spring loaded cap to latch it in place.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #18

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Escape21
California
Camco 39103 Multi Clamp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BUQOAY..._bdWDDb54T3D5J

$2.99 on Amazon
Searay50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:53 AM   #19

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I don't get it. 3 different tow vehicles w/ 7 blade connectors, and 3 different trailers, over a 20 year period, never had any issues with the trailer cord coming unplugged just relying on the notch on the spring loaded cap to latch it in place.
I have.. but it ended up being because the spring in the cap hinge had gotten messed up. Not sure exactly how, but after a fair bit of cursing I got it back into position and all was fine, with the plug at the end of the cord only slightly worse for wear from dragging briefly.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical