Electrical cord - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 11:36 AM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
David, I am not clear about what we are seeing or what you mean by the fridge plugs into - is the cable coming from the outside that is plug into the fridge or is the fridge plugged into a separate 110 receptacle box? . Wondering if there is actually any reason for even bothering with the 30 amp plug on the out side of the trailer - if the other end of it that plugs into the campground is 110 and all you have in the trailer is running on 110....

As others have suggested may be time to rethink/upgrade the whole wiring system in the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #22

Name: David
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
I have no problem rethinking/redoing the whole electrical. Im just trying to do the best thing that I can on my own...cause i dont really want to pay an arm and a leg for an electrician.

Basically the way it worked was, cable on the outside plugged into a normal 110 receptical and then into that outlet on my trailer.

On the inside that recptocal; was wired direct to a normal grounded plug. (the fridge pluged into that plug, leaving one spare) the circut continue on to one florecent light in the kitchen and ended there. There were tow more lights that were not hooked up...they look like low voltage lights with only a white and a black ( no ground) .

Thats it...as it were.
dhwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
elec

It does look like my marine plug without the cover . What are your elec,needs on your trailer ? Will A/C and Microwave , cooktop etc etc then a 30 amp service (110 ac ) works . What ever you end up please make sure you use GFCI protected plugs next to sink and bath area and outside for sure . Good Luck in your elec upgrade .Check out You tube for some answers and then if over your head go hire an electrician or go to and RV place .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhwilder View Post
I have no problem rethinking/redoing the whole electrical. Im just trying to do the best thing that I can on my own...cause i dont really want to pay an arm and a leg for an electrician.

Basically the way it worked was, cable on the outside plugged into a normal 110 receptical and then into that outlet on my trailer.

On the inside that recptocal; was wired direct to a normal grounded plug. (the fridge pluged into that plug, leaving one spare) the circut continue on to one florecent light in the kitchen and ended there. There were tow more lights that were not hooked up...they look like low voltage lights with only a white and a black ( no ground) .

Thats it...as it were.

Ok - so basically you only have a 110 need so really no need to track down something to replace the old 30 amp plug in that has clearly been changed to 110 power anyways. You could replace it with a 110 connection box but before you do that you may want to explore a little more as to what your end goal is. Are you planning on running a line from the battery for the 12 volt lights not connected or are you thinking of installing a converter? If you run everything off the battery other than the fridge - how do you plan to charge the battery? What you decided you need to do may depend a lot on what else you plan to add to the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #25

Name: David
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Anyone know of anyone in Winnipeg who I could pay to look at/ rewire my boler? I am out of my depth here.
dhwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #26

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
RARE Vintage Trailer Bargman Power Electric Cord Plug Male Female End 35A 120V | eBay

I agree that a Marinco (or other chinese knock off) plug and socket should be in your future.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical