Electrical Help Needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #1

Name: Clamdigger
Trailer: 16 Casita SD 2003
Delaware
Electrical Help Needed

I'm not the brightest crayon in the box. I had my 2003, 16' Casita plugged in to 110V and the AC that is plugged in to a socket below it and the outside plug do not work. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Clamdigger
Clamdiggershucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Electrical Help Needed

If you exceeded the amperage of the circuit in question by having the trailer plugged in consuming power while the A/C was also running, you possibly popped the circuit breaker controlling that outlet and the outside outlet. That is the first thing I would check.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-26-2016, 09:31 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
With an A/C plugged in you may have tripped your house breaker. First check your house outlet for power. If that is good next check your breakers in in the converter box.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Check also the GFCI at the end of the sink/stove island hasn't tripped. Both the circuits you refer to are protected by that one GFCI.

Your profile says you're shopping for a trailer. Have you found one and that's why you're asking?
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:05 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
Check also the GFCI at the end of the sink/stove island hasn't tripped. Both the circuits you refer to are protected by that one GFCI.

Your profile says you're shopping for a trailer. Have you found one and that's why you're asking?
I agree with Steve L , I would check the GFCI by the sink.
The older style GFCI's often would trip on the startup of inductive loads. ( A/C compressors / fans are inductive ). In years past the code required GFCI protection in garages but garage door openers and refrigerators / freezers would trip the GFCI on startup and you had to reset the GFCI ( sometimes several times ) to get your garage door to open. The code then made an exception for fixed inductive loads , so there was not nuisance tripping of the GFCI. The newer GFCI'S do not have this problem and the code exception has been changed.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:46 PM   #6

Florida
I might be wrong, but the way the OP described the problem, I read it to mean that the Casita was plugged into a 110 outlet and an A/C and outside outlet on the same (house) circuit wasn't working. I did not read it to mean that the A/C and outside outlet were trailer components. Perhaps the OP could provide a better explanation of what exactly isn't working, and if it is in the house or in the Casita.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:13 PM   #7

Name: Clamdigger
Trailer: 16 Casita SD 2003
Delaware
Electical Problem

Thank you all for helping with this one. The house breaker was not tripped. I will check the GFCI and converter breakers in the camper.

To clarify what is not working is the outlet under the AC (which the AC is plugged into) and the outlet on the outside shell of the camper.

Thanks so much!
Clamdigger
Clamdiggershucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:13 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdiggershucker View Post
Thank you all for helping with this one. The house breaker was not tripped. I will check the GFCI and converter breakers in the camper.

To clarify what is not working is the outlet under the AC (which the AC is plugged into) and the outlet on the outside shell of the camper.

Thanks so much!
Clamdigger

Thanks for clarifying. I misread your post. I would check the breaker in the trailer as other respondents suggested, and also make sure that the outside outlet, if it is a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) outlet hasn't tripped. If it is a GFCI outlet it will have two buttons in the middle, one labeled test and the other reset.
Good luck. I would guess it is something that will be easy to correct.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Thanks for clarifying. I misread your post. I would check the breaker in the trailer as other respondents suggested, and also make sure that the outside outlet, if it is a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) outlet hasn't tripped. If it is a GFCI outlet it will have two buttons in the middle, one labeled test and the other reset.
Good luck. I would guess it is something that will be easy to correct.

Unless someone has changed the outside 120 volt duplex receptacle since it came from the factory, the outside outlet is not an actual GFCI receptacle, per se. It is just a standard duplex receptacle with a weather-tight coverplate. It receives its GFCI protection from the GFCI outlet that is mounted inside the trailer. (It's the only GFCI outlet in the trailer.) Since the outside outlet is "downstream" of that GFCI, it picks up its protection from that inside one.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Unless someone has changed the outside 120 volt duplex receptacle since it came from the factory, the outside outlet is not an actual GFCI receptacle, per se. It is just a standard duplex receptacle with a weather-tight coverplate. It receives its GFCI protection from the GFCI outlet that is mounted inside the trailer. (It's the only GFCI outlet in the trailer.) Since the outside outlet is "downstream" of that GFCI, it picks up its protection from that inside one.
That's how my Casita is set up. I went crazy (short trip) the first time the outside outlet wouldn't work. Eventually tracked it down to the inside GFCI. That's one lesson that has stuck with me.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical