Electrical. Hook Up? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Arrow

Just bought a 1998 16' Scamp and I'm a Nubee. It has a seven prong female connection on trailer. Called Scamp and they said "yes we used to use that type but not any more" end of conversation. I can't find the correct male connector for towing vehicle. Can any one point me in the right direction?

Thanks, John
jstraight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Just bought a 1998 16' Scamp and I'm a Nubee. It has a seven prong female connection on trailer. Called Scamp and they said "yes we used to use that type but not any more" end of conversation. I can't find the correct male connector for towing vehicle. Can any one point me in the right direction?

Thanks, John
Congratulations on your new to you trailer.

On the left hand column you’ll see a link under Helpful Resources called [b]Helpful-Links. Click there and go to [b]Wiring. I think you’ll find what you are looking for there.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/resources.html...un=fiberglassrv

Good Luck.

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:52 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Mike, Thanks for the supper quick response,but. I have the wiring harness diagram. What I would like is the large round pin style connector to wire to the truck to mate up with the existing female from the trailer. Any idea where it can be purchased? John
jstraight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Ifn ya can't find the exact plug you are after, its an easy swap to fix that issue, just go out an buy a new (matching pair) male n female connection.....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.folandsales.com/catalog.asp?pro...;showprevnext=1

or

http://www.championtrailers.com/TRAILER_RECEPTACLES.htm
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
John,

There are all sorts of connectors. 7 pin with flat blades, 7 pin with round pins, 6 pin round, etc. Northern tool has many connectors to look at to pin down what sort you have.
Northern Tool Trailer Connectors

You might find an adapter you can use or you might have to wire up your own plugs. Not too difficult, but research carefully and take your time.

Roy in TO has a set up I haven't seen before. He has a 7 pin flat blade receptacle on both the truck (normal) and the trailer (new to me). He had a short cable made up with a plug at either end that he just plugged in when he was ready to go. Just another way to approach it.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
there are adapters available. I got one at the U-Haul store.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #8

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
and with that setup... nobody will ever be asking to borrow his trailer for the weekend. hmmmmm, good idea mate!

Quote:
John,

There are all sorts of connectors. 7 pin with flat blades, 7 pin with round pins, 6 pin round, etc. Northern tool has many connectors to look at to pin down what sort you have.
Northern Tool Trailer Connectors

You might find an adapter you can use or you might have to wire up your own plugs. Not too difficult, but research carefully and take your time.

Roy in TO has a set up I haven't seen before. He has a 7 pin flat blade receptacle on both the truck (normal) and the trailer (new to me). He had a short cable made up with a plug at either end that he just plugged in when he was ready to go. Just another way to approach it.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:07 AM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Roy in TO has a set up I haven't seen before.
You are right Steve, I changed from what I thought was the original but similar setup to what I have now. I posted the pictures of the original last year here.

It was an oddball 7 pin round configuration I could not find it elsewhere, so I switched it to something more common and readily available. I believe I may still have the parts if someone is hunting for them.

I'll have to check with some of the other boler American owners out there if that was original or not.
It confused me at first till I figured out it was meant to either keep the wiring from getting damaged when not in use or as an early anti theft design.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:05 PM   #10

I spoke with Jean-L earlier tonight and he had the same 7 round pin arrangement on his 1972 boler American. That is there is a connector on the trailer body that allows one to remove the wiring to the tow vechicle when it is not needed. Below is a picture of my original connection. I replaced that with the standard 7 flat pin connector that is common today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7round.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	15669

Old 09-11-2008, 12:08 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Both ends here at ETrailer:

http://www.etrailer.com/p-52024.htm

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #12

Yes,
the link Pete provided is for a "standard" 7 pin round, where the pins around the outside are equally spaced. That differs from the original in the boler American where there is a larger space between 2 pins on the outside which puts the rest of the pins closer together.

Just goes to show one, how many different connections there has been over the years.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
That's why I always change my trucks and trailers to the 7-pin Bargman/Pollock (six flat and one round), even if I don't need all the connections, because that is the most common connector in my experience (after the Flat-Four, of course).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote