Electrical Problem? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #1

Name: Sherri
Trailer: 2012 Casita Spirit
St. Petersburg, FL
Registry
Electrical Problem?

I am hoping for a solution or some guidance to a problem with my 2012 SD 17’ Casita. Leaving on a weekend trip, I noticed that my power jack would not operate unless it was plugged into the 30 amp plug I installed on the back of my house. This was a first. Just got home and again the power jack that was connected to the battery for two hours, will not operate unless plugged in AND I noticed my back lights are on and I have no idea how to get them off. Am I spacing on something minor...I hope. Thanks for all/any suggestions.
Sherritini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
the tail lights are only connected to the 'pigtail' that plugs into the tow vehicle, so if they are lit, there's some sort of wiring short.

when you say 'power jack', do you mean the cigar lighter socket on the underside of the rear cabinet?

sounds like you should check your charging voltage, and the state of the battery. a fully charged battery at rest should be around 12.6-12.8 volts, and when the trailer is plugged into 120VAC, the output of the power converter should raise that to a charging voltage of around 13.8V, I keep a voltage monitor plugged into my cigar socket...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #3

St. Petersburg, FL
Registry
Thanks John! It was a corroded pin head in the 7 pin connector. I cleaned it and all is well. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-10-2017, 03:33 PM   #4

St. Petersburg, FL
Registry
Thanks John for taking the time to reply. It was a corroded pin in the seven pin connector. All is well now!
Old 12-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #5

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Sounds like you do not have power comi g from the battery. Look for a blown fuse, open wire or Dead Battery
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:28 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherritini View Post
Thanks John for taking the time to reply. It was a corroded pin in the seven pin connector. All is well now!
That points out one of the interesting problems troubleshooting circuits with LED lamps. They draw so little current that stuff (like corrosion) can provide enough of a path that they will light. Another LED "got you" that shows up is finding voltage on a socket for a circuit that has a dead fuse. Indicator fuses (the ones that have an LED built into them) or the fuse blocks that include a LED to indicate a blown fuse will still show voltage at the receptacles, or sockets (without a lamp) on the circuit.

Again, it only takes 20 ma or so to light many single LEDs, and the arrays will also light (although sometimes dimly) with minimal current.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical