Electrical Short? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2010, 02:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Thumbs up

I rewired my little friend last summer and noticed on its first trip out that when both (all two) interior lights are on, the outside MARKER lights turn on EVER so faintly! I figure there must be a short somewhere, but I haven't gotten into it yet.

Meanwhile, tonight it's (FINALLY) pouring, and our Junior is out in the driveway awaiting more upgrades and repairs - and weathering the storm. I just went out to make sure all doors and windows were locked and (seemed) tight. The interior lights didn't maintain a constant brightness, but dimmed and brightened randomly. Hmmm...this doesn't bode well for the complete rewire job.

Where should I start tracking this problem down?

BTW: The interior rewire was spurred on by my need to move the battery outside. I replaced existing wires with brand new wire, and ran all ground back to the battery. I did not ground the battery to the frame...somehow I think that may have something to do with this but you electrical types out there will SURELY know!

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Recheck all your grounds.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Run a test ground from your batteries negative post to the frame and see if it fixes the problem to which a more permanent setup can be made if needed (my trailer has a green wire from the battery to the frame for this purpose)..... those lights outside lighting very dimly sounds like a ground problem feeding back thru the wiring trying to find a good ground.....try the battery to frame test first and if that doesn't work then try re-checking all the grounds like Darwin mentioned. Also if not already done unplug the plug from the tow vehicle to see if that makes any difference if not done already......... with all those outside light dimly lit it is going to be "One " ground somewhere
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
Run a test ground from your batteries negative post to the frame and see if it fixes the problem to which a more permanent setup can be made if needed (my trailer has a green wire from the battery to the frame for this purpose)..... those lights outside lighting very dimly sounds like a ground problem feeding back thru the wiring trying to find a good ground.....try the battery to frame test first and if that doesn't work then try re-checking all the grounds like Darwin mentioned. Also if not already done unplug the plug from the tow vehicle to see if that makes any difference if not done already......... with all those outside light dimly lit it is going to be "One " ground somewhere
Joe
Thanks, and will do. Just for clarification, this does happen when it's off the TV. The rain flickering event happened in the driveway with the TV parked about 10 feet away.

Another project...

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I'm far, far from a wiring expert, but when anything like what you described goes wrong, my first thought is "ground." (As previous responses have already mentioned, but sometimes it's nice to hear it echoed.)

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Jen,

The lamp may be wired in series with the other lamps, as the other lamps draw power the lamp in series on the feeding circuit will glow faintly. This is because as the power to operate the inside lamps is pulled thru the filament of the outside lamp it heats up and glows.

Happy Camping, Safe trails.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:05 AM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Jen,

The lamp may be wired in series with the other lamps, as the other lamps draw power the lamp in series on the feeding circuit will glow faintly. This is because as the power to operate the inside lamps is pulled thru the filament of the outside lamp it heats up and glows.

Happy Camping, Safe trails.

Harry
Harry.... That is so true what you say. I am just assuming (which i shouldn't do) that each and every light has it's own positive and ground ( to the frame or separate ground wire) And if it's wired the way you suggested it only takes one receptacle to be corroded or not making contact perfectly.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
Lights are generally not wired in series. If one bulb were burned out, then all the other lights would not work. It then requires checking each light until the burned out bulb is found and replaced; not a fun task late at night.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Lights are generally not wired in series. If one bulb were burned out, then all the other lights would not work. It then requires checking each light until the burned out bulb is found and replaced; not a fun task late at night.
Agree, if lights would be wired in series they would see only a portion of the total voltage available. Voltage at each bulb would be reverse proportional to their wattage. For example, 2 25W bulbs would see 6V each from a 12V source. In a circuit of 2W and 10W bulbs connected in series to a 12V source there is going to be 10V drop on 2W bulb and 2V drop in 10W bulb.
As mention multiple times above lack of good ground makes some of these bulbs connected in quasi series, check your ground connection.
For more information see attached.
George.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchhoff%27s_circuit_laws
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm%27s_law

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Recheck all your grounds.
Keep this one simple.

Double-check your ground connections at each fixture, at the battery and at the converter before you do anything else.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote