Electricity where it shouldn't be! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #1

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Send a message via Yahoo to mikecontos
Hi, I have a 1965 Hunter Compact II. I am experiencing a weird electrical issue. The interior camper lights only work when plugged in to the home AC power.(Its always been like this, i just bough touch lights for camping) They do not run off of battery. The water pump, however does, and always has until last week.
The oddest part here is that if I am unplugged, on battery power only, circuit breaker under sink OFF, the running lights of the trailer stay on unless I actually disconnect the battery.
I think that the water pump is just a loose wire somewhere, and the other may be a short. somewhere.
Any electrical guru's out there? Is there a transformer or something that may be failing? Finally, could the water pumps sudden demise have something to do with the running lights staying on?
Im just asking before I start tearing everything out so I know where to start lokking!
Thanks, Mike In Reno.
mikecontos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:06 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

1. Something in the wire connections is allowing the converter, but not the battery, to power the interior lights. It sounds to me like the converter is not connected properly to the battery and therefore is not charging it.

2. The 1st thing I would check is the voltage output of the battery. If it is below 11.6 volts, it may not have enough "oomph" to power the pump.

3. There is a short somewhere between the battery and the running lights. The "House" battery should have nothing to do with the running lights; that should be a separate wire from the tow vehicle's running light circuit.