Elephant hide help! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #1

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Elephant hide help!

Hi,

I'm finally getting to fix up my 13' 1984 Scamp! Right now I'm in demo and clean mode.

The elephant hide under the front window is damaged where the po had build a solid set of bunk beds.

I have tried a search on this site, which I may have done wrong, so please bear with me. Am I understanding correctly that ensolite is no longer available to purchase?

If so, can anyone suggest an alternative for that area?

Thanks so much,
Tonnie
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:56 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Can you post pictures of the area so we have a better understanding of what the extent of damage is? This would help us all give you advice.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:50 AM   #3

Florida
photo of problem area

Sorry, I thought a had attached a photo!

Let me try that again...
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp front window.jpg  
Old 01-12-2017, 06:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
That damage was caused by the owner removing the tab for the gaucho. Too bad, a bunk bed could have been built around it, rather than removing it. BUT, it doesn't look so bad that it's not repairable by thoroughly cleaning the area and using caulk. A number of owners caulk all the seams when the molding is toast.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:35 AM   #5

Name: will
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wyoming
In our Scamp, we built a shelf about 5" wide and the length of the window where the "tab"was. Maybe that would work for you.
Wyowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:41 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What are you planning to put back in that space, Tonnie? That has some bearing on how good it needs to look.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:42 AM   #7

Florida
Thanks Donna!
Old 01-12-2017, 07:55 AM   #8

Florida
Thanks for the idea Will!

In answer to your question, John, ideally I'd like a drop down table there for eating. We want that area to be a dinette and leave the big area on the other end as a permanent bed.

If I put a 5" tall board with a shelf on top, using the holes already created, could I use a piano hinge to attach a table for eating? It could be swung up and have an attached leg.

We will be installing a small window unit that will be supported with the trailer tongue and come through the fiberglass shell near the floor.

A drop down table could hide it when it's not in use.

Will the fiberglass shell support something like this?
Old 01-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
I think so. The weakest area is around the door. When you build your dinette seats, I would recommend attaching them to the shell across the front and all the way round to the galley and the door. Tabbing- blocks or strips of wood epoxied to the fiberglass- is the usual way, since, as Donna notes, the fiberglass lip that Scamp installs around the front to support the sofa bench is missing. You don't have to remove all the Ensolite; just cut out for the tabbing.

I also agree that you may be able to save the Ensolite: clean thoroughly, re-glue any loose edges, fill seams and voids with latex caulk, texture to approximate the Ensolite surface. Many people do that to the entire interior (replacing any remaining T-molding on seams with caulk). Then you can prime and paint. I've seen some amazing results.

I've seen a couple of AC installs through the lower front shell in conjunction with a front dinette mod, so I think it can be done. Getting it sealed up right so rain doesn't enter, especially when towing, is the challenge. I think Floyd did one (or has personal knowledge at least). Perhaps he will chime in, or you could send him a PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #10

Florida
Thanks, Jon... Floyd has sent me photos of what he did. That is want I'm shooting for, I just would prefer to have a table that drops down. I'm planning to use the original fiberglass bottom bunk piece and make a cut out for the table area.

Would a wood table be too heavy' or should I shoot for something light like plastic? If plastic, I thought I could disassemble a small fold up table (2 X 4) and use one half.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
That sounds good. I didn't know you still had the original bench. But if you have the bench, does it also have the fiberglass lip to which it was originally attached? I couldn't see it in the pictures.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #12

Florida
Uh, Oh... The only lip I see is plywood. There is one in the front and one in the back.

The camper didn't have that fiberglass front section when I got it. I was given one from a very generous Scamp owner who didn't need it anymore.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Then you'll need to add your own tabs to attach the bench to the shell.

When you say the table "drops down," do you mean it lowers to bridge the footwell and make an extra bed? If so, I think even half of a plastic table at 2'x2' would be larger than the footwell.

I would probably use (5/8" or 3/4" ?) plywood and cover the top with laminate. There are tons of cool color and pattern options; I just don't know if there is a minimum order. Most big box stores keep some small pieces of laminate in stock, but they tend to be bland, currently trendy colors and patterns. If there is a minimum order, you could do the back table as well. I know you are planning to leaving it down as a bed, but your plans or a future owner's might call for a dinette at some point down the road.

Gluing laminate to a relative small surface is a DIY project. Trim the edges with wood, plastic T-molding, or (for a retro look) metal C-channel. Here's a Boler front dinette with white laminate and metal trim:

Name:   IMG_6052r.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  19.4 KB

The owner of this one (not mine) also did the caulk-and-paint thing to the Ensolite. Notice you can't see any seams.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:27 PM   #14

Florida
Thanks Jon!

Actually, I have a long laminate top that was given to me through freecycle.org. I plan to put it on top of the fiberglass kitchen counter and remount the sink. It's big enough that I can cut a matching table out of it.

I was wanting to piano hinge the table in such a way that the leg would tuck up and the table would hang down parallel to the wall. So, the fiberglass shell of the camper would need to be strong enough to support the weight of the table top. That's my concern... I think it would allow the area to be more versatile and I could put the portapotty between the seats during the night.

The walls look really nice in the photo you sent. What a nice job they did with that dinette.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:31 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
You can cut sections of elephant hide from under the fiberglass benches and patch and calk them in. That moves the problem to a far less conspicuous location. Then you can use foam excersize mat to re insulate the areas under the benches.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #16

Florida
Thanks Steve!
Old 01-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #17

Florida
OOPS! Wrong Year!

I must be losing my mind... My Scamp is a 1979, not an 1984. Apparently, it's getting younger every year. Just like me!