Ensolite Conditions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2022, 09:47 PM   #1

Name: Jacob
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Ensolite Conditions

Hi again,
I thought I would separate this question from my frame question as they are different topics. Someone let me know if that is incorrect protocol (new here).

I have done a lot of reading about how the ensolite insulation in these old trillys should be removed only as a last resort. I am concerned about the possibility of rot behind the ensolite around the windows, see picture with window in it.

And there are clear signs of rot under the front couch near the front wall as well as lots under the dining seats, I can't see any cracks or holes in the exterior so how do I find where the water is coming from without removing the insulation?

Any or thoughts or recommendations on this?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Window Frame Rot.jpg   front seat rot.jpg  

right rear rot.jpg   is this ensolite.jpg  

Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 09:14 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingstone View Post
Hi again,
I thought I would separate this question from my frame question as they are different topics. Someone let me know if that is incorrect protocol (new here).

I have done a lot of reading about how the ensolite insulation in these old trillys should be removed only as a last resort. I am concerned about the possibility of rot behind the ensolite around the windows, see picture with window in it.

And there are clear signs of rot under the front couch near the front wall as well as lots under the dining seats, I can't see any cracks or holes in the exterior so how do I find where the water is coming from without removing the insulation?

Any or thoughts or recommendations on this?
Thanks!
That is not Ensolite. Ensolite is a black closed cell foam. When used in our little fibreglass trailers it is covered in an off-white vinyl layer. What you seem to have is an open cell foam. The covering layer is far more popcorn textured then the Ensolite I have seen. Which is also called elephant hide.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:38 AM   #3

Name: Jacob
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Thanks!
I had a sneaking suspicion that it isn't ensolite! First, everywhere I looked online ensolite is black (as you mention) and secondly, I was looking at the stuff in my trailer wondering what was so special about it.
So seeing as it is open cell, and not ensolite, I suppose that I should assume there is moisture buildup behind/in it. At least where I can see signs of moisture (rotted wood, rusted screws etc.).
Is the best course of action to gut, patch the outer shell and re-insulate?
The cabinets in these Jubilee's are all wood so replacing the interior won't be terribly hard. Still, more work than I bargained for.
Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote