Ensolite density? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2020, 10:27 AM   #1

Name: Kuba
Trailer: 1971 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Ensolite density?

Hi there,

I'm giving another attempt at insulating my 1971 Trilly 1300..

Acquired with original ensolite already ripped in places, so I wire brushed and sanded all interior walls/ceiling down to the fiberglass.

The plan is to install an insulating layer followed by marine headboard liner.

On the first attempt I tried putting up reflectix bubble wrap from Home Depot with 3m 77 spray adhesive in a can. A very expensive & discouraging lesson later, The reflectix unglued itself from the fibreglass after the summer heat. I suppose the silver lining is that I decided to wait with the marine hull liner install..

After lots of forum reading, I am attempting once again. This time I'm looking to purchase proper Ensolite from the foam factory (unless someone has any leads in Canada?) btw IR Foam no longer does retail Sales since October, wholesale only with a business license.

Question: which type of Ensolite is most recommended for my application?

So far I have found this Suggestion:

Polyethylene closed cell Foam Roll from Foam Factory:

(60" wide, 1/4 " thick, 50 foot roll (2lb or 4lb density)

https://canada.foambymail.com/PR/pol...foam-roll.html

Does anyone know what density is best for insulating a fiberglass trailer? I'm assuming the density will have a big impact on playability of the foam in the corners of the trailer?
kubapsuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:37 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
As perhaps you’ve realized, the problem with your Reflectix install was the adhesive, not the Reflectix. 3M77 is for light craft applications with paper, cardboard, and thin cloth. 3M90 is the correct product for this application, but IMO contact cement or headliner adhesive is even better (and cheaper) for large projects.

Moving forward, closed cell foam has better insulating properties than Reflectix as a thermal layer, so I think you’re on the right track. Unlike the Ensolite in vintage trailers, it does not have a top layer of vinyl, so you will need to put something on top. Fuzzy marine headliner is a good choice for preventing condensation and feeling warm to the touch. The nap traps air and adds a little insulating value of its own.

Since closed cell foam is not commonly used in DIY projects, you may have to wait a while for an answer to the density question. I certainly have no idea, though my offhand guess would be the lower density. Have you reached out to the company?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:42 PM   #3

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
With the polyethylene foam you're going to run into the same adhesion problems you had with Reflectix, which is also polyethylene. It's really, really difficult to stick anything to it. You'd definitely need 3M 90 over 77 to have any hope there (and it'd have to be the real thing, not the low-VoC California version). Contact cements may also work well, but you'll need to make sure it's a type that's designed specifically for polyethylene.

Actual Ensolite foam is PVC-based rather than polyethylene, so it's far easier to adhere to.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:58 PM   #4

Name: Ryann
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
FL
I used 3m90 to adhere reflectix to my walls. It stayed up fine in the florida heat and humidity. I could not get anything, like trim, seam covers, to stay on top of my vinyl headliner though. I used HH-66 pvc vinyl cement to get seam covers to glue onto the headliner. Good luck!
miarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:53 PM   #5

Name: Kuba
Trailer: 1971 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
With the polyethylene foam you're going to run into the same adhesion problems you had with Reflectix, which is also polyethylene. It's really, really difficult to stick anything to it. You'd definitely need 3M 90 over 77 to have any hope there (and it'd have to be the real thing, not the low-VoC California version). Contact cements may also work well, but you'll need to make sure it's a type that's designed specifically for polyethylene.

Actual Ensolite foam is PVC-based rather than polyethylene, so it's far easier to adhere to.
You’ve given me lots to consider, Thank you!

I had no idea it’s so difficult glueing polyethylene to other surfaces. I’m now on the hunt for a PVC based ensolite which is harder to come by.. but I may have found a lead on this form from someone else’s thread, and could use your insight given your know-how about different foams?

I'm curious if anyone has had any luck finding a close alterantive to the orignal Ensolite. I found some stuff manufactured by Armacell called Ensolite IG2. Its being sold under the name "Gym Rubber" on foambymail.com.

https://canada.foambymail.com/gymnas...ber-sheet.html

Here is the official armacell technical sheet.

https://www.armacell.us/fileadmin/us...taSheet.US.pdf

Looks promising? Thoughts?
kubapsuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:18 AM   #6

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
The links are getting truncated by the software, but I found it. No R-value listed, but it should be decent enough since it's a closed-cell foam.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote