Ensolite Painting and Seam Repair Advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #1

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1978 13' Scamp
California
Ensolite Painting and Seam Repair Advice

I'll preface this post by saying that I'm not fully restoring our Scamp. I would like to make it look nice enough and functional enough to just get out there and camp-- mainly while my kids can still fit in the bunks!

But here is one of my current problems:
The ensolite is in good shape, but splitting in areas where the PO tried to seal them. They used some type of spreadable sealer, and then painted over the whole thing. So there are two inch wide sections running along seams that look smooth! And the paint color is a weird pinky flesh color.

So obviously the best choice is to repaint. But a number of issues come up here:

Do I do anything about the smooth patching against the rough ensolite? I found that it peels off easily (see attached photo). So perhaps I try to peel most of it off and start from scratch? But where do I stop "peeling?"

What do I use to fix the seams? What is thin enough to not be so distracting against the rough texture of the ensolite?

What do I use to paint over everything? because I definitely need to paint over. I cannot handle this pinky color.

And any other issues you see arising please feel free to note them here! Thank you again for all the help.

-Cindy

morbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I sealed the seams with a paint able caulk and then painted with a white semi gloss ceiling paint, It looked really good until the caulk shrunk. Recently I tried to cover the seams with white Duct tape, but it wont stick. You could remove the stuff that's in your seams now and buy new seam tape from Scamp.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Cindy, this is like any kind of painting, prep work determines success. I'd get rid of all the flaking, etc., scrub clean then (maybe) seal it with Kilz, and then paint a color pleasing to me. I don't mind doing something once, but doing it over ARGH. So prep work is king.

Some have found it's good to fill the seams with caulk, take a damp paper towel and texture it to match the surrounding texture. Greg mentioned the caulk shrinking... that is worth checking into. Check for answers maybe at the paint store...

This is my 2 cents worth...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbank View Post
I'll preface this post by saying that I'm not fully restoring our Scamp. I would like to make it look nice enough and functional enough to just get out there and camp-- mainly while my kids can still fit in the bunks!

But here is one of my current problems:
The ensolite is in good shape, but splitting in areas where the PO tried to seal them. They used some type of spreadable sealer, and then painted over the whole thing. So there are two inch wide sections running along seams that look smooth! And the paint color is a weird pinky flesh color.

So obviously the best choice is to repaint. But a number of issues come up here:

Do I do anything about the smooth patching against the rough ensolite? I found that it peels off easily (see attached photo). So perhaps I try to peel most of it off and start from scratch? But where do I stop "peeling?"

What do I use to fix the seams? What is thin enough to not be so distracting against the rough texture of the ensolite?

What do I use to paint over everything? because I definitely need to paint over. I cannot handle this pinky color.

And any other issues you see arising please feel free to note them here! Thank you again for all the help.

-Cindy

When I repainted the interior of my 85 Scamp with the same elephant hyde wall and ceiling covering as you, I scrubbed the surface well, and wiped it down with a almost wet, plain water rag, then dried it. After a few days, I painted the entire interior with 123 Primer. It bonds very well, even to glossy surfaces, without sanding. I then used Behr super white high gloss. I am thrilled with the results.

In the photo, you will see a strip under the window where the rotted bunk bed support was, that I removed. I trimmed a piece of the elephant hyde from under a counter inside a cabinet, and glued it on with rubber cement. After drying, I used some acrylic caulk and smoothed it out with a very damp, almost wet paper towel. I then primed and painted. Yes, you can tell it has been repaired but its better than no attempt at all. Just My Opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp 017.jpg  
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #5

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1978 13' Scamp
California
Keep the advice coming! Thank you guys. I'll also note that the Foam warehouse near my husband's work has many different kinds of "ensolite." I have no idea what today's ensolite looks like compared to years before, but I think it's worth a look. The door's interior is pretty shot and it might be worth it for me to recover it, especially since it doesn't "touch" any other ensolite walls (which would make it easier to detect differences in material).

Big Mike, did you use the high gloss so the wall would reflect, hiding imperfections? That's what we did with our wood siding in the house since it was from the 60s, and it seemed to work well. I'm just not sure about a "shiny" interior. But if it using a satin or eggshell shows every imperfection, it might be worth going high-gloss.
morbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Actually, a high gloss will show more imperfections than a flat or semi-gloss. I wanted the ease of cleaning and to reflect any light I can since I usually have the curtains closed most of the time. Just remember this. It is YOUR camper and you should use your own creativity to make it your own and most of all, have fun with it! Even though I have mine posted for sale, I am in no big hurry to sell. I have used it this last March and will be using it again at the end of this month. I like it a lot and look forward to my stays in it.
Mike
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
If the gap is big do you caulking in layers, slightly underfill the first time then the next day fill as described above.

I filled, then used seam tape, then painted over it all hoping the paint would help hold the seam in place as well as making cleaning easier.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
painting