Ensulite removal after flood? - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-24-2020, 06:01 PM   #1

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1977 13' Scamp
Colorado
Ensulite removal after flood?

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the community, and desperately need some help on the new to me '77 Scamp I acquired last week. This beauty was unfortunately caught in the massive flooding that happened in Colorado back in 2013, and the scamp's interior was gutted with anything cloth or wood with the exception of the ensulite lining that's throughout the camper and its been sitting ever since.

From what I've been reading, everyone seems to highly discourage the removal of the ensulite due to it's difficulty of removal, and the reinstall of new material. It sounds like its best to leave it in place, if it's not too damaged.

My question is, does anyone know of the dangers of leaving whats currently in there in place, and caulking/painting over it? Do we know how much moisture/mold can buildup in this material, and if i'm at risk of causing more problems down the road if I don't take this stuff out?

Final question: If i do decide that removal is the best, has anyone had luck using the material "Armaflex"? it seems like a viable option if I'm able to remove the existing ensulite...

Thanks!
Joel

mcjoelseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:03 PM   #2

Colorado
pictures

sorry, forgot to attach the pics...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8143.jpg   IMG_8144.jpg  

IMG_8145.jpg  

Old 05-24-2020, 07:17 PM   #3

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2010 Little Joe / 2010 2 Dr Jeep Wrangler
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjoelseph View Post
sorry, forgot to attach the pics...

While I have no info to help you
I am curious as to the flood you referenced... my wife and I are fairly new to the Lone Tree Colorado area... this is something I never heard about
Can you provide some details
And best of luck with your scamp
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:43 PM   #4

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
I've seen other restorations where the Elephant skin was molded and was able to be sealed and painted over it so no further spread or contamination could occur. I'm sure those who have done it will jump in with links, techniques etc. so don't give up on it!
Old 05-25-2020, 07:08 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Ensolite is closed cell foam, so moisture and mold cannot get inside it. However, I'd be concerned it could be hiding in voids behind it, next to the shell. I don't know if thorough dehumidification would be sufficient to evacuate all the moisture and kill any remaining spores, or if you risk further spread when the trailer is exposed to a humid environment in the future.

What have you done about the floor?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:31 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
My experience with ensolite (three molded FGRVs), is that it doesn't harbor mold except on the exposed "white" surface. The black backside doesn't harbor mold. This is coming from someone with extreme sensitivity to mold (allergies and asthma).

Example: I have found where water migrated in through an exterior rivet and then behind the ensolite, then created a bubble in the ensolite. May have been there for years. Pierced the bubble and water drained out perfectly clear. Wow.

Mold on the "white" surface can be eliminated with cleaners.

EDIT: Mold may also form along loose edges behind the ensolite. Again, just use usual cleaners to remove it.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #7

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Scrub it, fill the voids with some good polyurethane sealer and dabble with a wet sponge to match the texture and then prime with Bullseye 123 anti mold and paint.
And I agree while you are there be sure to check the floor carefully for rot. The floors rot from the insides where some source of water, a window leak, leaky plumbing etc wets the floor and keeps it wet.
In my case I had to replace the entire floor and before I installed the 3/4" plywood floor pieces I laid fiberglass cloth, epoxied, top, bottom, and sides.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:22 PM   #8

Michigan
Registry
Your ensolite appears to be in very good condition. After 40 years, every fitting, rivet, window, vent, etc must be removed and re-installed with suitable sealant.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #9

Colorado
flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
While I have no info to help you
I am curious as to the flood you referenced... my wife and I are fairly new to the Lone Tree Colorado area... this is something I never heard about
Can you provide some details
And best of luck with your scamp
Alan, colorado, speficially the denver/boulder/longmont area was hit by HEAVY rainfall back in 2013 and there was a lot of damage to much of the front range. My friend's farm, where my new scamp was kept, took a lot of damage when this happened.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:52 PM   #10

Colorado
Thanks! Looks like a few people have already with some super helpful info.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:56 PM   #11

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Your ensolite appears to be in very good condition. After 40 years, every fitting, rivet, window, vent, etc must be removed and re-installed with suitable sealant.
thanks John! as this is my first experience with ensolite, I wasn't sure what was normal. I'll know more once i pick it up this week and dive into the "demo" of whats left inside and see where the damage has made it mark.

The plan is to remove the shell from the frame, remove all windows and seals, and restore the whole thing from the frame up. do you have any opinions on keeping/resotoring the old jalousy windows versus replaceing them with the rounded corner sliders that Scamp offers on their parts site?

Joel
Old 05-25-2020, 01:57 PM   #12

Colorado
new floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Scrub it, fill the voids with some good polyurethane sealer and dabble with a wet sponge to match the texture and then prime with Bullseye 123 anti mold and paint.
And I agree while you are there be sure to check the floor carefully for rot. The floors rot from the insides where some source of water, a window leak, leaky plumbing etc wets the floor and keeps it wet.
In my case I had to replace the entire floor and before I installed the 3/4" plywood floor pieces I laid fiberglass cloth, epoxied, top, bottom, and sides.
Thanks JD! If youve got any words of advice and any pictures of your floor replacement, i'll be all ears. Ive never done fiberglass before, but it seems like if youre diligent and take your time, it's not overly complicated.

Joel
Old 05-25-2020, 02:02 PM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Ensolite is closed cell foam, so moisture and mold cannot get inside it. However, I'd be concerned it could be hiding in voids behind it, next to the shell. I don't know if thorough dehumidification would be sufficient to evacuate all the moisture and kill any remaining spores, or if you risk further spread when the trailer is exposed to a humid environment in the future.

What have you done about the floor?
nothing so far. Ill be picking it up this week, once i get some rubber that i trust to tow it home on. I'll be documenting the whole restoration, and will be more pictures. It's spent the last 7 years at the same farm where the damage occured, but here in colorado, where it's fairly arid. I have no idea how much, if any leakage occured in that time, but i can't imagine it was stellar. I anticipate needing to replace the whole floor, with i'm not super anxious to do...
Old 05-25-2020, 02:45 PM   #14

Michigan
Registry
"The plan is to remove the shell from the frame, remove all windows and seals, and restore the whole thing from the frame up. do you have any opinions on keeping/resotoring the old jalousy windows versus replaceing them with the rounded corner sliders that Scamp offers on their parts site?"

The jalousie windows of that era are generally very sturdy and replacement hardware and seals are readily avaiable. Also jalousie windows provide great ventilation and can usually be left open when raining, therefore, I would recommend keeping them if possible.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:55 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Definitely agree with John. I love the jalousies in my boler. They give nice airflow without letting the rain in (always important here on Vancouver Island ) and I was able to find all the parts and seals I needed on the intertubes to be able to refurbish them. You just have to be very careful dismantling them.

bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote