Entry Door Holder - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
Registry
Thumbs up

Hi there everyone, I'd like to add a door holder for the entry door. What have people used?? Also what location do you recomend (at the bottom or 1/3 or 1/2 way up)??

https://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Paul;

I think that the location is very trailer specific. On one of my trailers, it was at the top. On my Fiber Stream, the latch location matches up with the bottom vent access door of the refrigerator. I think for fiberglass, it would be important to have some sort of wood backup plate on the inside of the trailer to which to firmly attach the latch. That would guide my location selection.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Hi Paul, way down here in Belleville... I located a bright metal door holder at the RV shop. I installed the "tab" part on the horizontal at the lower edge of the Trill's ridge...about two thirds down the side, I used SS screws and some epoxy fill (the two tone sticks from CTC) and the loop part of the unit on the door. Four years later and no problems.
To keep the tab part from flapping in the breeze, I added a rare earth magnet from Lee Valley (with metal magnet-holding cup) alongside the belt line of the Trill.
If you are coming east for any reason, pm me & we can do a show & tell on our respective green trills.
Cheers...Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
I have a string with two loops in the ends. One goes around the door handle and the other slips around a protrusion on the trailer tongue. Not very elegant, but works great and the price is right.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 88 Cadet
You could always go to the RV place close to your location. They would have a door holder, which is a T shaped pin that hooks into a clip you would install on your door.
As for location, I think you need to look at another Tril or open the door and see what part of the door meets with the trailer. You want it where the door and trailer will touch. So on a Boler/Trillium, since the top and bottoms curve inwards, your door may be farther out at the top and bottom when open.
On my Cadet it is pretty much in the middle.
Len Cater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:31 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Because of the curve on the aircraft-door on Scamps, the door holdback has a offset
Attached Thumbnails
DoorHolder.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Quote:
I have a string with two loops in the ends. One goes around the door handle and the other slips around a protrusion on the trailer tongue. Not very elegant, but works great and the price is right.
That's funny, I use a bungie cord to hold the door open. The plastic door holder was snapped when I bought the trailer and I just removed it and used a bungie cord.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
I do the same, I found that when there is strong winds, the door holder (I have that round metal thing with rubber in it on the door with a metal pin on the body) gives up, so I secure it with a bungie cord as well.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 1976 Tripple E Surfside
I just bent the latch itself slightly to curve towards the door.
Works perfect,and no worry about the wind slamming the door.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 1976 Tripple E Surfside
Quote:
Because of the curve on the aircraft-door on Scamps, the door holdback has a offset
That is what I did right there.