Ever had your own waterfall? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2008, 07:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Has this ever happened to you? We were relaxing in our screen room Friday evening, enjoying a little rest after setting up camp. I heard an unfamiliar sound, but in a campground there are lots of sounds, so I didn't thing much about it at first. It sounded like water spilling out of something. Then we looked over at the Scamp & saw that we had a small waterfall flowing out of the door! The hose that connects to the faucet had come loose & water was spraying inside the kitchen cabinet, then spilling out onto the floor. Fortunately, we have carpet tiles with a thick rubber back & most of the water was in the carpet, not the floor underneath. We removed all the carpet tiles, set up fans & dried the floor. The carpet tiles dried in the sun. My husband made a trip to a hardware store & reattached the hose more securely.

So...has this happened to anyone else or are we the only ones?

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Quote:

Sandra
Not in a camper. It was a brand spanking new house. A split level, with a bath off the hall right above the kitchen range. One flush and the water line let go and we had the most amazing cascade of water down over the range hood onto the stove. Took a bit to dry it out and we had no problems getting it fixed.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #3

Bonnie,
I've actually had a similar experience at home too. I came inside to find that the water heater had sprung a major leak. Water was spraying everywhere & the carpet in the den was soaked & ruined.

Clean-up was a little easier in the Scamp! It would be a good idea to occasionally check the clamp that holds the hose to the faucet, just to be on the safe side.

Sandra
Old 05-30-2008, 04:01 AM   #4

Trailer: Play Mor II 1987 and Home Built Teardrop
Quote:
Has this ever happened to you? We were relaxing in our screen room Friday evening, enjoying a little rest after setting up camp. I heard an unfamiliar sound, but in a campground there are lots of sounds, so I didn't thing much about it at first. It sounded like water spilling out of something. Then we looked over at the Scamp & saw that we had a small waterfall flowing out of the door! The hose that connects to the faucet had come loose & water was spraying inside the kitchen cabinet, then spilling out onto the floor. Fortunately, we have carpet tiles with a thick rubber back & most of the water was in the carpet, not the floor underneath. We removed all the carpet tiles, set up fans & dried the floor. The carpet tiles dried in the sun. My husband made a trip to a hardware store & reattached the hose more securely.

Sandra
Yep! Happened in our brand new Aliner (now sold). Factory didn't tighten Shore Water clamp and . . . . well you know the rest of the story. It, also, dried out with no lasting damage.

Geron
Geron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I was filling the water tank on a Wildwood stick built and the pipe came loose from the fitting allowing water to go everywhere in the trailer. We were glad we had a vinyl floor.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Glad to hear yours didn't distroy much, and you were able to still enjoy your time. When Dh and I owned a Resort, we had several guest tell us that it happened to them. One guest and I were talking about it and what he said made sense................. After hearing his explanation I passed it on to guest all the time. What he said was everytime you hit the road in a rv/trailer/camper ect, the rv/trailer/camper shakes around with the equivalant of a 4.5 earthquake. So it makes sense to check the connections every once in a while. Even the phone wires, cable connections just sometimes rattle loose. And with checking every once in a while you may also see potential future issues. I got in the habit of doing after every long road trip. It was amazeing how often I found it looser than it should have been. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #7

Robin,
That makes sense. Every time we tow the Scamp, the cushions end up in the floor. If we didn't bungee the closet & cabinet doors, I'm sure the contents would be scattered all over the interior. So it's not really surpising that the hose came loose. From now on, we'll check it when we reach the campground.

Hmmm...I wonder if Frederick has this on his very comprehensive arrival checklist???

Sandra
Old 06-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Sandra, I don't know that it has to be done every time. Just more often than we actually think to do it . Like you said, the cushions wiggle off, Doors open, eventually the movement shakes everything loose. In our Class A, the micro came out going down the road. It was a lovely crash, look back and the micro hit the floor. And it was built in! It just made sense to me after the discussion came up. I guess even checking it everytime is worth not having an issue. Think of it this way, everything got a good washing........... (Just what you want when your relaxing) LOL. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
It happened to a relative of mine when the hose to the washing machine broke while they were on vacation. What a mess! It's a good reason to shut off the water in your home when you're going to be away for any length of time. At least those things that are just connected with hoses.
Carol Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote