Extension Cord/Converter Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2019, 02:09 PM   #1

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Extension Cord/Converter Question

I have removed the battery from my '15 Casita for the duration of the cold weather. I would like to connect an extension cord (12 ga.) to the trailer power cord and be able to run a small electric heater in sub-freezing weather. The wires from the converter to the battery are just disconnected and laying inside the battery compartment. Will taping the terminal ends be necessary or can I just leave them bare and separated? Will hooking up the cords in this manner cause damage to the converter? I am just trying to avoid having to run the extension cord through the door or a window to just power the heater. I would rather keep the battery on a trickle charger in the garage and not in the trailer. Thanks, dm.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #2

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
I have removed the battery from my '15 Casita for the duration of the cold weather. I would like to connect an extension cord (12 ga.) to the trailer power cord and be able to run a small electric heater in sub-freezing weather. The wires from the converter to the battery are just disconnected and laying inside the battery compartment. Will taping the terminal ends be necessary or can I just leave them bare and separated? Will hooking up the cords in this manner cause damage to the converter? I am just trying to avoid having to run the extension cord through the door or a window to just power the heater. I would rather keep the battery on a trickle charger in the garage and not in the trailer. Thanks, dm.
Can you not just switch the converter breaker off?
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:40 PM   #3

Texas
Can't switch the converter off as far as I know. Not sure how it is done if you can. I don't see a main switch anywhere in it, or I don't know what it looks like. Only see 12v fuses and outlet circuit breakers. Maybe I am not looking hard enough at the breakers Will give it another look. Thanks
Old 02-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
The converter circuit on mine is labelled "charge line".
Attached Thumbnails
ACBrkrs1.jpg  
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
One of the single pole branch circuit breakers in your converter supplies 120 VAC to your converter . Tape off the positive lead to your battery to prevent a possible short , turn off the circuit breaker feeding your converter ( probably a SP 15 amp circuit breaker ) and plug in your trailer to shore power .
Be aware that the circuit breaker feeding the converter may feed other loads in your trailer
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:12 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Why would you not leave the battery in the trailer, connected, so that the converter keeps it charged?
A charged battery won't freeze until you hit 60F below.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:40 PM   #7

Texas
One of the reasons for removal is it being hard to access where it is mounted in order to check the fluid levels. Another is it is easier to clean the terminals and connections.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:49 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
One of the reasons for removal is it being hard to access where it is mounted in order to check the fluid levels. Another is it is easier to clean the terminals and connections.
We have a 2013 Casita SD and do the same thing and for the same reasons
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:

If it's hard to access for checking fluid, it must be even harder to remove and to remove the terminal connections.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:30 PM   #10

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
This may help all who have a Casita. The batteries are difficult to get out. My husband took a 5 gallon bucket and put a board on it to make it level with the battery box. He slides the battery out far enough to check the levels and clean the cables. Then he can slide it back in without lifting it in and out. He tore a rotator cuff lifting a battery into our Yukon so he won't be lifting a battery again. We are also figuring a way to put long enough cables on the battery and leave them loose in the box so we can put the battery minder on it without moving it in and out. We know we'll have to cover the positive one so it can't make contact with anything. Don't think it would take a real heavy duty wire since it is for the battery minder only.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:15 PM   #11

Nevada
Registry
I just installed a new converter on my '98 Casita. It has a 30A breaker that brings in the power to the AC distribution bus. There are several 15A breakers on this bus and one is for the DC converter/charger. Opening this would shut down the converter. The second way is there is a 30A fuse on the DC side which removing it disconnects the battery. Do you have your converter's manual, or can you get a copy on-line? It should show you how to disconnect the battery.

The reason I replaced my converter is that I purchased an AGM battery which requires at least a 3 step charger. The old converter was only a one step. I also added drawer slides to the battery box to allow the battery to easily be rolled out for inspection and maintenance. You're right it is a bit of a trick to position the wires so they will come out with the battery, not snag or risk shorting out, but it is do-able. I also added a disconnect switch just inside the battery door to open the battery circuit. The only problem is the weight of the battery would quickly snap off the drawer if not supported when the battery is pulled out. I use a piece of wood as a leg to support it.
egfasdsdsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #12

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
A lot of converters are actually on a standard AC plug. My 16 food scamp one is. Might find out where it is.

I also use a sealed battery so no checking fluid levels.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote