Extensive "before" photos of untouched '72 Compact Jr ALL ORIGINAL - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-15-2016, 11:38 AM   #1

Name: Jessica and Miles
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
Pennsylvania
Registry
Extensive "before" photos of untouched '72 Compact Jr ALL ORIGINAL

In case this is ever helpful to anyone, I'm sharing:

I took a VERY exhaustive photo survey of my '72 Compact Jr before beginning restoration. This camper has had one owner since its purchase (my grandfather-in-law) who is absolutely fastidious. He left everything original, no mods at all, but took good enough care of it that most things are in good shape. It actually still has the original vinyl boot, still has original upholstery, and even the four little pins that hold the pop top up were still in it. So before I go changing things, I'm putting up pics of everything as it currently is...mildew, pencil doodles and all. If anybody finds something they wish they could see better or that would be helpful to them, please let me know and I'll photograph it (but with 284 photos my guess is you'll see everything).

Maybe if someone needs to know "how was this before somebody changed it or messed with it?" this will help answer their questions!

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...hare_link_copy
MilesandJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:19 PM   #2

Name: Doug
Trailer: Hunter
Missouri
Bravo! Thank you so much for this!
luptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:59 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
awesome job, which there was the same for the Boler
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:37 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Miles, thank you for sharing.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Very thorough job of documenting what was originally there. I wonder if your upholstery has been sun bleached. This is a link to how mine looked. It was under a second layer of fabric.

Original Cushion Covers Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Old 03-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
I wish Paul would have taken so many!

Cute child!

BEST
Old 03-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: Hunter
British Columbia
Registry
1972 Compact Jr

Mine is identical - even the same colour!
Mine had a few things changed - like new 12v and 120v light fixtures, sliding door access to the storage areas under seating on both sides, some rewiring, new upholstery and blinds instead of curtains and new stripes outside. (Stripes need to be redone again!). There are some pictures on my site and I will post more as I continue reno's.
I have already moved the battery from under the sink to the tongue, painted the cabinets and interior walls white. I have also removed shag carpet glued to the walls and indoor/outdoor carpet from the floor.
Mine also has brake drums so it appears a prev owner installed electric brakes which are now not connected. Don't think I'll need to use them due to the very light weight. I towed the trailer back to BC from California last summer with no trouble except a completely worn out tire after 1500 miles due to running low air pressure. Tires had been replaced just before purchase and I didn't check pressure since they looked OK ( big mistake!!) I believe the old valve stems were not replaced which caused the leak! New tire now ( and 2 new valve stems) and have completed a 2000 mile trip later in the summer without incident!
Had many curious inquiries - no one has ever seen a trailer like this here!!
VW dealership owner even wanted to buy it from me! I refused to sell of course and look forward to many happy miles of towing with my 2014 VW Golf wagon.
billmccracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #8

Name: Jessica and Miles
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
Pennsylvania
Registry
I love your name - the Chartreuse Caboose!! Perfect.

Looks like you've done some great things with yours. We are excited about ours but only just beginning the process of refurb, and haven't really decided what changes we will or won't make to it yet. What are your favorite things about yours, and what do you wish you had done differently if anything?

We already put on new wheels and tires and the bearings are repacked, but that's about it!
MilesandJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Super stoked you posted these! After more than 30,000 miles and 43 states with our '72 CJ, she's long overdue for some rehab. We took off the boot to replace it (the original had been replaced with cheap canvas which rotted and finally tore in last week's winds at Anza Borego State Park, California) last night, the cabinets have shaken toward the center after the screws that secured them sheared off (apparently not for the first time - they were these three screws shown in your photo: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...RtWaQ95U5-VsuA). Gosh, yep, your detailed photos are great. This one (https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...RtWaQ95U5-VsuA) shows right where my cabinets are falling apart.

What is this for? Mine doesn't have anything like it. https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...RtWaQ95U5-VsuA

Our upgrades are also going to include new curtain rods. Oh, and we had to weld the frame to get home after it broke somewhere along the road. Yep...broke! Right behind the crossmember you show here https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...RtWaQ95U5-VsuA

It looks like there's been at least one mod, and it's the first I want to make: hinges on the chair cabinets! Mine has the original wood which just set on there. I'd rather it hinged in place. Those photos will help me figure out my options. Looks like someone added an awning, too, and mine never had an external electrical outlet. That's interesting.

Those little pins that hold your door window open are easily replaced. I did it with hand tools in my garage with limited skills (never got to take shop, but I can wing it pretty well). Same with the screens: SUPER easy. I did the first one, then my six year old and eight year old did the side window screen installations. Seriously.

You might like our table mod that gets rid of that dang center post bouncing around the trailer: https://picasaweb.google.com/1092826...t=embedwebsite

You're going to have SO MUCH FUN WITH THIS! (But first, you're gonna need to downgrade your tow vehicle!)

Thanks for the pix.

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote