EZ UP/First Up/Shelter Logic/Coleman products ??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2008, 10:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
I've looked at numerous posts/threads here on the board regarding these quick tents and shelters. We really liked the Kelty carport deluxe but didn't want to add anything more to the outside of the Scamp. The bag awnings seem to work fine but present the same problem as the carport. I've seen many people using the quick tents for a type of awning in front of their camper and it looks like this would be the best solution for us.

So here is the real question. Because most of the manufacturers either list the height to awning at 6' 3" or they don't list anything at all, I'm hoping people out there could give us a real-world measurment to assist us with finding the right fit for our situation.

After I measured our camper, we determined that we need 6' 6" minimum.

If nobody out there has one that fits the bill, does anyone own the Coleman brand 15x15 eventshade? If so, could you provide me with a measurement to the eave edge please.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
It is difficult to get that information isn't it.

We recently acquired a 10'x10' First Up and although I am not about to put it up to give you a measurement, I can tell you that it does clear the door on our Boler without any problem.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
It is difficult to get that information isn't it.

We recently acquired a 10'x10' First Up and although I am not about to put it up to give you a measurement, I can tell you that it does clear the door on our Boler without any problem.
I'm definately not asking anyone to go out of their way to get me a measurement, just hoping that they might remember on their next outing to take a tape and grab me a measurement, or even possibly just measure to the top of their open door.

If they know that their tent/tarp fits over the door, then that measurement would be enough for me, along with a make and model of course.

We have raised our camper height with the new axle so unfortunately for us, just saying it will fit over the door of a 16' Scamp wont be enough.

thanks,

Dan
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I'm definately not asking anyone to go out of their way to get me a measurement, just hoping that they might remember on their next outing to take a tape and grab me a measurement, or even possibly just measure to the top of their open door.
Dan,

We'll be out next weekend. I'll measure both for you. As Carol Ann says, it [b]did clear our door, but she may have forgetten that since then I've raised the trailer with the axle swap, it may not clear it any more.

FWIW, I'm planning on adding a small add-a-room type structure 5' wide 3-5' deep to act as a screened porch that we can use as our screen door mod and as a connection between the trailer and the EZ-up. We tried the EZ up next to the trailer and it created problems opening the Jailhouse windows. If we kept the screen open the allow for the trailer windows to open, the bugs got in. Plus there is always the problem of uneven sites. I thought that the "porch" could act as a "covered bridge".

The initial plan was to just use a window awning with screens hanging from the sides. I've currently progressed to a more elaborate design.

This is a plan in progress, I got a lot of ideas looking at the screen room on Alf's Escape 5.0, reading the posts here and seeing the new modular tents that connect together. Plus thare are the drive away add-a-rooms that are in the UK caravan world. Hopefully something comes of it. I'll post pictures when it's done.

I feel like I'm in a time warp when it comes to the trailer. I'm working on last years plans, planning next years projects, and posting the things I finished the year before all at the same time.

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Sirit Deluxe
we have an EZ-UP from wal-mart $80 and we have a Casita 17 with hi lift axle and the EZ only clears on a perfectly level spot. when it does not clear we put some of those plastic leveler blocks under the legs and then just drive the spikes thru the spaces on those blocks and use the tie out ropes and we have had no problems. the ez up survived two pretty good thunderstorms with some pretty strong wind.
andy s is offline   Reply With Quote