Fan-Tastic Vent help, please - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It appears to have been the plunger switch all along. I tried but had no success by-passing the switch and getting the fan operating, but I did connect the lead and ground wires to the fan motor directly to the battery, and the motor is clearly not the problem. Fan-Tastic was great, and they have a new plunger switch in the post already. If the new plunger switch doesn't solve the problem, I suppose I'll have to try to sort out the intake/exhaust switch, but I'm relieved to know the problem isn't the motor. Now I can go back to enjoying retirement with my fiddle -- not a multimeter -- in hand!!! But I enjoyed trying to sort out the problem and really appreciate all the excellent guidance the forum folks provided. Thanks yet again.
Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:59 PM   #22

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Just an aside: You don't need a multimeter to test whether you're getting 12V power to a line or terminal—just a test light with a sharp probe, available at any auto-parts store.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:14 PM   #23

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Charge your battery, your voltage is to low to run your fan.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Just an aside: You don't need a multimeter to test whether you're getting 12V power to a line or terminal—just a test light with a sharp probe, available at any auto-parts store.

/Mr Lynn
Yes, that reminds me of the test light I used to set timing on my VW donkeys-years-ago! But the test light has long ago been replaced by a multimeter (for whatever reason I don't recall....) and now that's what I use. Nothing like acquiring more expensive stuff to do the job of simple tools from days gone by. Maybe I should have stuck with the tent -- I never had electrical problems with it.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
Charge your battery, your voltage is to low to run your fan.
Voltage is a bit low, I know, but it is enough to run the fan ONCE I'm sure I'm getting voltage to the fan. And the battery is currently out of the Scamp and getting charged up now that I've sorted out the problem. Hard to do with no battery installed, though.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:18 PM   #26

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davis View Post
...Now I can go back to enjoying retirement with my fiddle -- not a multimeter -- in hand!!! But I enjoyed trying to sort out the problem and really appreciate all the excellent guidance the forum folks provided. Thanks yet again.
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that the advice you have been given is free and without conditions. But in fact, if we ever have the privilege of meeting in person, you are obligated to preform a short concert with the aforementioned fiddle. I'd love to hear it!
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote