Fantastic fan orrrr the Max air fan? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2016, 03:28 AM   #1

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
Fantastic fan orrrr the Max air fan?

Hi all....

Just wondering what your thoughts are about the two different fans? Which one is best and why? Thanks so much for your time & valuable opinions!
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:33 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I just replaced a 6 year old maxx fan with a fantastic fan. One of the motor support arms failed on the maxx fan. A design flaw in my opinion. I opted for the model 1250 which is a 3 speed with reverse. The motor support is a curved H which will better support the rotational forces. Also the knob to lift the lid is recessed so it's less of an obstacle. My maxx fan had more features but I never used them so the simpler fan was a better choice for me.
Attached Thumbnails
1465558192834.jpg   1465558209162.jpg  

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:37 AM   #3

Florida
Smile Thank you Raz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I just replaced a 6 year old maxx fan with a fantastic fan. One of the motor support arms failed on the maxx fan. A design flaw in my opinion. I opted for the model 1250 which is a 3 speed with reverse. The motor support is a curved H which will better support the rotational forces. Also the knob to lift the lid is recessed so it's less of an obstacle. My maxx fan had more features but I never used them so the simpler fan was a better choice for me.
Appreciate your input very much! Yes indeed, sometimes simple is BEST!Where did you purchase yours if I may ask?
Old 06-10-2016, 05:47 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I bought it from Vintage Technologies through Amazon for $144. There is no listing now. They also sell on eBay.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:48 AM   #5

Florida
fantastic fan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I bought it from Vintage Technologies through Amazon for $144. There is no listing now. They also sell on eBay.
Wonderful! thanks much Raz!
Old 06-10-2016, 07:45 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Fans

Both fans are good quality fans. You can get the Maxxair fan with a handheld clicker but generally speaking, both fans are reversible, multi speed and can be temperature controlled. I just removed the fantastic fan in my casita and replaced it with the Maxxair. I'll use the fantastic fan on a Sunrader rehab. I chose the Maxxair fan because the fan cover can be left open when it's raining. The fan cover on the Maxxair is superior to that on the Fantastic fan.
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:35 AM   #7

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarie View Post
Hi all....

Just wondering what your thoughts are about the two different fans? Which one is best and why? Thanks so much for your time & valuable opinions!
I installed a Fantastic Fan in my Boler and am quite happy with it. I installed a dpdt switch to make it reversible and saved a few bucks.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape
Fans

I have had both, like the maxx better with the 12 selection of speeds, temperature sensor, and the rain cover. I did think the fantastic fan moved air better but it has no cover for the rain. Would not be without one or the other.
Grant Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I have had both, and the MaxxAir has two lid supports as opposed to only one on the Fantastic Fan, and I like having more speed selections with the Maxx Air, and the fact that the lid can stay open during rain. Typically Lil Snoozy installs the fan vertically on the bathroom wall as it is a flat surface, whereas the roof has compound angles over the bathroom area, so if a Fantastic fan is mounted in the vertical location, using it during showering could put on quite a show for those camped near by.....the Maxx Air lid prevents any peep shows.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01392.jpg   DSC01390.jpg  

DSC01391.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Allen View Post
I have had both, like the maxx better with the 12 selection of speeds, temperature sensor, and the rain cover. I did think the fantastic fan moved air better but it has no cover for the rain. Would not be without one or the other.
Of course there is a rain cover for the Fantastic Fan. It's a standard size. I have one.

I do agree that the rain cover is a MUST HAVE. I have always left my FF vent open an inch or so for ventilation (except on the road of course), and never seen rain get in.

I have the three speed Fantastic Fan, no thermostat (standard Scamp option) and I wish the lowest setting was slower. Even on the slowest setting I find it quite loud, but I cannot compare to the Max Air.

There are also published mods for turning the three speed FF into a continuously variable one, with much lower speed which makes it quieter. Its on my list of mods to do, but is is down the list a ways.

If buying a new Fantastic Fan, I would go with MODEL 7350.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Having had both types of fans I like the MaxxFan best because of it's built in rain shield and it has 10 speeds whereas Fantastic has to have a resistor installed to slow it down and an extra rain shield.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:46 PM   #12

Name: Bob N Judy
Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Texas
Should buy the delux series...

...of the MaxxAir because it says the plastic body is a different profile thickness than their standard series and works with our thin walled FG.
Like others here I've had both and prefer the Maxx 6200k and 7500k for quiet op, 2 yr warranty, no added cover needed, ceiling fan type running during rain, smoke color top, and other stuff.
Use butyl tape and urethane based (NOT silicone) sealant for install of all exterior RV products.
Have fun and happy camping!
bobnjudy78748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:27 PM   #13

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
We've had both on two different trailers, the Fantastic Fan was first and as was previously stated, it does have a rain cover (optional, extra $$) that is functional albeit always in the "up" position. It's roughly the size of the cupola on a caboose.

The Maxxair is hands down slicker and at less that $30 difference, Why wouldn't you?
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:37 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I would go with the MaxxAir that David has posted the photo's of.

I had the basic Fantastic Fan in my Scamp and was sorry I did not get a different model. To few speeds and none that were really low speed & no rain sensor.

Current trailer has a Fantastic Fan with rain & temp sensor and multi speeds and remote..... not overly happy with it either as it opens and closes on its own and that wakes me up at night. It also can not stay open in the rain without a separate high profile cover.

The front fan on current trailer is a basic unknown brand and is about to be replaced with the MaxxAir due to it having a permeant cover that allows it to remain open without worry and its lower profile when closed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:41 AM   #15

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I have had both, and the MaxxAir has two lid supports as opposed to only one on the Fantastic Fan, and I like having more speed selections with the Maxx Air, and the fact that the lid can stay open during rain. Typically Lil Snoozy installs the fan vertically on the bathroom wall as it is a flat surface, whereas the roof has compound angles over the bathroom area, so if a Fantastic fan is mounted in the vertical location, using it during showering could put on quite a show for those camped near by.....the Maxx Air lid prevents any peep shows.
Dave & Paula
Looks like a good retro fit idea love the pictures
Old 06-14-2016, 08:43 AM   #16

North Carolina
Well it certainly looks like the Maxx Air models are the preferred choice for people in this thread. I expect if I need to replace my FF I would go that route also.

It is true that the FF cover is rather high profile. I was not worried about that because my A/C is in front of the FF cover and the A/C is a little higher, so airflow in travel is no worry. If I did not have the A/C then I would prefer lower profile.

My question is about replacing the Maxx Air covers when they deteriorate in the sun or otherwise get damaged. The FF cover can easily be replaced... just pull four clips (no tools needed), lift out the old one, and put in new one. Also easy to remove it for low clearances when storing the trailer if you wish, although a short ladder might be needed.

How hard is it to replace the Maxx Air cover?
Old 06-14-2016, 09:12 AM   #17

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
The Fantastic Fan on our 2003 Scamp is still going strong. I installed a Maxxfan rain cover so we could keep the vent open in all weather. The cover is high profile and has a 3 sided louvered opening facing the rear. The single sided opening style vents cut down the CFM of the blower, thus 3 sided is superior. The cover removes for cleaning by pulling 4 pins.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:25 AM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Well it certainly looks like the Maxx Air models are the preferred choice for people in this thread. I expect if I need to replace my FF I would go that route also.

It is true that the FF cover is rather high profile. I was not worried about that because my A/C is in front of the FF cover and the A/C is a little higher, so airflow in travel is no worry. If I did not have the A/C then I would prefer lower profile.

My question is about replacing the Maxx Air covers when they deteriorate in the sun or otherwise get damaged. The FF cover can easily be replaced... just pull four clips (no tools needed), lift out the old one, and put in new one. Also easy to remove it for low clearances when storing the trailer if you wish, although a short ladder might be needed.

How hard is it to replace the Maxx Air cover?
Not hard to do, I replaced my opaque one with the smoke on my Escape, did it from a ladder. About 6 screws and you are done.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
NAICT...Fantastic Fan has a lifetime warranty while the Maxx Fan has a 2year warranty (lifetime on the lid only).
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #20

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
NAICT...Fantastic Fan has a lifetime warranty while the Maxx Fan has a 2year warranty (lifetime on the lid only).
FF is two years now also, except lifetime for the dome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Of course there is a rain cover for the Fantastic Fan. It's a standard size. I have one.

I do agree that the rain cover is a MUST HAVE. I have always left my FF vent open an inch or so for ventilation (except on the road of course), and never seen rain get in....
I see there is a newer model from Fantastic Vent Co (AKA Atwood) that incorporates a built in rain cover.