Fantastic Fan vent housing question: - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #1

Name: Sands
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
Fantastic Fan vent housing question:

We have a 2003 Scamp 16 and we are wanting to replace/cover the original Fantastic Fan housing with one that will keep the rain out while open. Amazon has three that look pretty much the same: Fantastic @ $55; MaxxAir @ $27; Camco @ $20.

The Fantastic offering says it allows better air flow. The Camco has easy to remove louvers for cleaning. They all get lots of good reviews. I imagine they will all three work, but is one easier to install or better designed?

Any feedback or recommendations will be greatly appreciated!
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:14 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I went with this one. Like you mentioned, it allows the vent to open more than some other covers but I don't know how much difference that really makes. I have always had the vent open an inch or so while parked at home since installing the cover (for ventilation) and seen some heavy rain here. Not a drop inside the camper as far as I can tell.

Note that the instructions talk about removing four screws to install the vent cover, but Scamp uses rivets, therefore I had to drill the four out and leave the rivet inside under the rat fur. Then, rivet the four brackets for the vent cover in place with plenty of lapseal. Not sure what the proper size rivet is to use here.

By the way, remove four clips (no tools needed) and the cover comes off for cleaning or whatever. Some people mentioned there is no bug screen but it does not seal so tight that a bug screen would make that much difference. I only have seen a few stink bugs come in and the fan chopped them up and spit them out.
Attached Thumbnails
P1090350.JPG  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:49 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
We have a 2003 Scamp 16 and we are wanting to replace/cover the original Fantastic Fan housing with one that will keep the rain out while open. Amazon has three that look pretty much the same: Fantastic @ $55; MaxxAir @ $27; Camco @ $20.
The Fantastic offering says it allows better air flow. The Camco has easy to remove louvers for cleaning. They all get lots of good reviews. I imagine they will all three work, but is one easier to install or better designed?
Any feedback or recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

I've always used the standard MaxxAir vent covers over the standard vents on all the RV's I've had as I leave the vents open 99% of the time. I just added a Camco cover on an enclosed trailer and could see the difference from the MA. I'm sure the Camco will be fine but I wouldn't buy one again to save a few $. Installation is the same for both. I have never had to remove a screen for bugs/debris so having it removable is moot for me. I did use the standard MA cover over my FF not the cover designed for the FF types with the extra side vents as I don't use the fan often. As far as rain, I've never had any water come in through the cover even with the vent wide open. YMMV
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:12 PM   #4

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have a FF on my slide in Camper and have had one on each of the 5 or 6 Eggs I've owned over the years.
I have never had a problem with rain and and an open vent and no cover.
In a real down pour I just close the vent about half way.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:46 PM   #5

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I have the Maxx Air Fan Mate on my Scamp. I hope this pic allows you to see it OK. It was more money than the ones previously mentioned, supposedly doesn't restrict air flow as much but that could be just their marketing thing.

No drilling into trailer required. Directions easy. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1452473170.938439.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	91619

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #6

Name: Sands
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
Thx for info/replies! Currently boondocking outside Ajo, AZ, will consider options & go forward. Or sideways!
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote