Fantastic Fan Whistling Noise on "In" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2014, 06:57 AM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Fantastic Fan Whistling Noise on "In"

My 2012 new to me Scamp runs nice and makes normal fan noise on "out" at all speeds. Turned on the "in" fan selector for the first time yesterday and heard what I would call a whistling noise as the fan spins

Keep in mind I do have installed a MaxAir Roof Vent Cover. Just saying that in case it would make a difference in the diagnosis.

The whistling can come and go at times. Didn't know if there's any maintenance I should be doing to the motor or what not?

Your help is always appreciated.

Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Are you saying you have the MaxxFan or fantastic fan with a cover on it? Did it make the noise prior to installing the cover?
Old 08-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #3

New York
Registry
Hi CPAHarley,

I have a fantastic fan, original to the trailer. Installed the MaxAir cover after the fact. Can't think of the model number...it's called fan mate.

I never used the fan prior as this is my first summer camping. Cover is supposed to allow max air flow.

Whistling comes and goes. Can't hear it on number 2 or 3. But I suppose that makes sense. Do these fans have bearings?

Old 08-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I am not sure if they have bearings or bushings but mine had a small hole drilled into the top end to add oil. The motor and fan can be removed with 4 screws and be flipped over to add oil to the bottom bearing. If you could remove the fan without breaking it, the motor could be taken apart for a good cleaning and lubing. My fan blades were in pretty bad shape and were stuck to the shaft like glue (16 years old). Fantsatic Fan will sell you a new one(yes I tried to get a free one but no go) and they will sell it to you for cheaper that their dealers.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #5

Pennsylvania
Registry
Sometimes these fans will resonate and it will go away if you change speeds or tighten the screw on the fan or even put some oil on the shaft, any little change can eliminate the sound. Try it with the vent cover off, that maybe the culprit.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I think it is applying pressure on a bearing that could use oil.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:02 AM   #7

New York
Registry
Dear CPA Harley,

I'll have to get up there and check my owners manual on the fan. Not sure which screw you mean. Is there one at the top that holds the fan blades to the motor housing? Also not sure where the oil hole is but I suspect doing both of those things and otherwise monkeying around ill fix it.

Thank you!
Wendy

Old 08-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I think the screw he is talking about is the hex head screw that holds the blades to the shaft. when you remove the motor /fan assembly, you can see it from the side (I think there was a cutout in the fan to allow an allen wrench to tighten it. My motor had a small hole drilled in the top of the motor but that may have been done by a previous owner. I used some oil call Triflow which is very light and flows well, it also contains teflon, but anything like sewing machine oil or even light engine oil should work. I do not recommend WD40 at all except to help with the hex screw if it will not move. WD40 is mostly alcohol and contains very little oil at all.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #9

New York
Registry
Yes now I understand. Watched a vid on YouTube today of the whole process of cleaning. Just came back from a camping trip the other day and have been busy with laundry, grocery shopping and washing trailer. Plan on getting up there tomorrow to take a look see as to how dirty it is and get busy cleaning and oiling if I can find an oil hole. I have 3 in 1 but no sewing machine oil. I suspect it needs some cleaning and perhaps oil but can't be sure as I've never run the fan without the max air fan mate cover I installed in May.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I think 3 in 1 is the same as sewing machine oil.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:11 AM   #11

New York
Registry
Looked up there last night and did not find an oil hole. Checked top if motor and back sides as I faced it on the ladder. I did vacuum and clean it up good, although not very dirty, and got out a rather long piece of spidey web. Didn't hear any whistling on intake this time, but I would love to find an oil hole just the same.

Anyone know if that's a factory thing or just a mod that people do?

Old 08-12-2014, 06:20 AM   #12

Pennsylvania
Registry
there may no be a hole but a little oil may seep down the shaft and keep the bearings happy.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:23 AM   #13

New York
Registry
In a sincere effort not to expose my stupidity, alas I fail. Where to squirt the oil then CPAHarley? Where the fan motor meets the blades?

And is CPA cert public acct?

Old 08-12-2014, 08:28 AM   #14

Pennsylvania
Registry
sent you a p/m
Old 08-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
A lot of motors these days are "lifetime lubricated". There will be no place to add oil. They will work for their "lifetime". The fan in my furnace was "lifetime lubricated" which, lucky for me, started squealing before the warranty expired. Motor was replaced by service depot under warranty.