FantasticFan solution - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2006, 11:38 AM   #1

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Hi all:

I needed to clean the underside of the vent cover over my FanTastic fan (garden variety 3-speed reversible with automatic stock-market updates ). Six years of wonderful Oregon weather had finally produced a little dirt and the beginnings of black mold under the flap. I preferred not to climb on top and undo the Maxx cover, so the option was to clean it from the inside.

Using a long 3/32" Allen wrench ground to a usable length I managed to get the screw out, but then the fan blades absolutely refused to be wiggled free from the shaft. I called the company (nothing garden-variety about THEIR customer service!) and they suggested a penetrating oil as a first step. That didn't work, so I cobbled together a wooden version of a custom-sized gear puller from a disc of plywood, 4 threaded inserts, and 4 hex bolts. Easy if you have a drill press handy.

To my amazement the fan assembly pulled off with hardly a sneeze and enabled me to do the job. Slicker than snot, if you'll pardon the expression.

If anyone has faced this little problem let me know and I can fill in the details.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote