FF Still Leaking - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2016, 08:14 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
FF Still Leaking

Ok, I'm at my wits end with this stupid Fantastic Fan. It's leaked every since I picked it up at the Scamp Factory in 2012. I returned to the factory in 2013 and had Scamp fix it and it still leaks. I've had 2 different boat repair places seal it and it still leaks. This last time they sealed it with a below water line sealant that they said will last on fiberglass boats stored in the water for 20 yrs and yet I still have a leak!!! It's the driver side rear corner is all. I have to keep a bucket under it now and after Hurricane Matthew the bucket had over an inch of water. We've come to the conclusion that it must not be the vent fan but a leak somewhere else (AC maybe??) yet runs to that spot on the fan. I felt the walls, the ceiling, the floor, under the windows....every where possible after this hurricane and no dampness anywhere so where could it possibly be coming from??? My temporary solution has been to keep it covered but obviously in a hurricane I had to remove the cover and also that doesn't help much when camping and you get a drip over your bed. Any ideas are much appreciated.

Melissa
Old 10-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Had a leek in The Scamp 5r and did not find it until someone slept under the antenna. It came down the anrenna that is i. The back driver side of the camper. Reason we did not find it earlier is because when we had the table in place, it driped there then ran somewhere else.

Solution: Park it with the front down and the camper leaning in the oppisite direction so as to make the water run in a different direction then look.

You could also get a moisture meater a d probe the rat fur.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #3

So let me see if I understand what you mean. Tilt the camper the opposite direction of the leak and stand inside and see if water comes from another source? I don't have an awning or antenna so at least that limits the number of possibilities up there....
Old 10-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #4

That is exactly what I recommend as water does not run uphill.
If it still leaks in the same spot that tells you what you want to know.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe side bath
Minnesota
Leaking

I too have a problem with leaking in that same area. Driver side rear corner of fantastic fan. The trim frame has turned color from water damage and the fastening screw rusted thru. Not much water appears, just enough to be annoying to my wife who gets hit in her position.

I've tried re-caulking all the rivets and it sometimes works for a while. Did not notice any water this summer camping but now that it's starting to turn colder the water has returned during heavy rain. I check the bed after the rain and look for wet spots.

Caulk might be shrinking in the cold revealing places for water to go.

It's interesting that we have the same leak in the same position. My wife says also the leak was happening before we installed the AC in 2013. So.........eliminate that? The escape hatch has lots of rivets so it could be coming from there. It's just in front of the Fantastic Fan. The rat fur never seems wet from a water trail.

I will find the source even if I have to tear the whole ceiling apart. Well maybe.............

Hopefully someone out there has solved this problem that happens to only Scamp Deluxe 13 and 16's?
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:59 AM   #6

Sweeny: B 4 you tear the ceiling apart you might want to try the moisture meter. Just probe around to find the water trail.
http://t.harborfreight.com/digital-m...ter-67143.html
Old 10-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #7

Minnesota
Good idea! Think I'll order one.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I think you are correct that the leak is not at the fan. While pin holes in the fiberglass is possible, I would look at everything on the roof. And agree that tilting the camper to see if the water flows differently is a good idea. I had a devil of a time finding a leak but finally traced it to the A/C (< see link!). Have you ever tightened the screws on the A/C air distribution box?

Remember that water will often flow between the insulation and the fiberglass and come out where it wants. I have seen a roof leak not show up at all except at the bottom of the insulation and rat-fur inside the cabinet (at the floor).

Also I see some RV dealers use the SealTech leak detection system but I have no idea who well it works or how much it costs.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:37 PM   #9

The meater should give you a reading of the damp areas. The unit has 2 sharp pins and you just place then into the object.

I think you could also use a multimeter on a high ohm setting. If you have one of those try it B 4 ordering the meter.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #10

So glad to hear your story too Tim as I thought I was going crazy! Yes, my wood trim piece is also discolored in the corner now and same with the rusted screw! Also, just an annoying drip generally but over time adds up. I actually had to remove mold from the bench as I'd left the cushion in place and water made its way all the way through over a period of months in storage. You are the first person Ive found with this issue. I don't have an escape hatch just the Fantastic Fan and AC. Has yours leaked since you picked it up at the factory too?

Darwin, I'm definitely getting one of those meters, thank you!!

Gordon, interesting you mention pin holes in the FG shell from the factory...I had to return to the factory for repairs to my brand new trailer on both front corners for spider web cracks. They said they'd never seen it before and it must have come out of the shell that way meaning either the glass wasn't thick enough or some other oddity happened during the process so now I wonder if there is a defect up there that is hard if not impossible to see......No, I haven't tightened the screws on the AC but will try it. I will look into the Leak Detection System you mentioned as it would be worth it if it works. This is my only complaint on my otherwise perfect trailer. I don't want to return to Scamp a 3rd time as this go around I'm sure I would be charged and also the fan is so well sealed from the boat repair shop that I shouldn't have to perform any maintenance on it for a long time if ever and I don't want Scamp removing that sealant. Off to get that meter!

Thanks everybody!

Melissa
Old 10-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
.....No, I haven't tightened the screws on the AC but will try it. .....
NO !! DON'T DO IT!

I'm talking about the screws that hold up the air distribution box. Read my thread. These screws WILL go through the roof if you are not careful and create a leak.

Now the A/C unit hold down bolts are a different story. It is not uncommon for them to need a little tightening after a time so that the A/C seal gets properly compressed after a break-in period. But too much torque is about as bad as too little. Check you manual for the proper torque figure. You can try to do it by feel but that is risky.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:08 PM   #12

Well after talking to Kent at Scamp he thinks I have a bad seal on my AC unit....in 2012 they were using Colemans bolted in and he doesn't believe a screw penetrated my roof but more than likely the seal shifted and is no longer seated properly. He suggests I take it to the boat repair shop and have them remove the AC and check the seal and look for leaks. Or I can travel to Scamp and have them do it. Hopefully it's less expensive to pay a boat shop rather than travel to the factory a third time from Florida. I will not mess with tightening anything and will leave it to the professionals lol. Thanks again ebody....looks like I'm saving up my pennies to take her into the shop
Old 10-11-2016, 04:19 PM   #13

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Jack the Scamp up tongue high. Get on a step ladder and use a garden hose and run water from the AC back and see if you have a leak. If no leak then go tongue low and run water from the AC to the front. If no leak then level the camper and then run water around the AC. If it leaks BINGO
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:00 PM   #14

Minnesota
My 2012 16' deluxe was built in early January. Originally took delivery without AC in April of that year but came back in 2013 to have it installed at the factory. Could be a bad seal but my wife thinks it was leaking before the AC was installed.

Anyway..............I ordered the moisture meter and will have it in a few days.
I plan to aim a sprinkler at the roof and let it rain down for as long as it takes to develop the leak...then like Sherlock Holmes.........track it down with my new meter.

I will let you know the results.

Tim
Old 10-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #15

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
you can rent a Moisture Meter at just about any rental place.

Quote:
So let me see if I understand what you mean. Tilt the camper the opposite direction of the leak and stand inside and see if water comes from another source? I don't have an awning or antenna so at least that limits the number of possibilities up there....
: but first let your fingers do the walking and phone around.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:20 PM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: but first let your fingers do the walking and phone around.
Stude
I'm not saying that a moisture meter might not be worthwhile.. but let me point out that a leak with rain water going between the insulation and the fiberglass (on a Scamp), might not show up on it. The water might well stay under the insulation, except in inaccessible areas, until it come out at some lower point. That is the way it was with my leak.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I had a small leak about like you describe around the ceiling vent. The fix was simply to reseal the revit heads that are all around the vent. No problems for several years now
Old 10-11-2016, 07:44 PM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Or you could tape some plastic right over the fan.
Then hose down well around the outside of the AC and see if any water still comes out under the fan.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:01 AM   #19

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Gordon I used to find roof leaks in flat roofing with tar and gravel roofin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon2 View Post
I'm not saying that a moisture meter might not be worthwhile.. but let me point out that a leak with rain water going between the insulation and the fibre glass (on a Scamp), might not show up on it. The water might well stay under the insulation, except in inaccessible areas, until it come out at some lower point. That is the way it was with my leak.
: I would find the source sometimes 200' away, I had one leak that drove me nuts for about 6 months one winter and it started 100' on the dry side of the roof but after real heavy rain and snow sitting on the roof I finally found where it came in, I was stumped by it and so were the roofers it dropped down onto the Rafters then dropped down onto the Gas lines for rooftop AC units the traveled down some more lumber finally landing on some very expensive equipement areas and whay finally found it for me was something contractors used to find water problems which I borrowed from one of the guys who worked for my boss but even with the use of it I got to it but 6 months went by.
It just takes persistence.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:58 AM   #20

Gordon2: The meater has 2 very small sharp pins sticking out of the business end. You press it into the object - so I would suspect it would go all the way through to the shell. It just may or may not work. If it does then it will be far easier than some of the other options. Anyway, I hope it works.