FGRV Documentation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
FGRV Documentation

I am still quite new to FGRVing. While I had planned to be "traveling" ie my "travel" trailer at this time, my brand new Casita has become a nice fixture and potential guest house along side of my home. The only traveling it has done other than a trip from Rice, Texas home, is up and down my driveway.

All of that aside, one of the things I started to do immediately after getting home, was to consolidate and put together a book that contains all of the documentation for my trailer. I used a 3" 3-ring binder with protective sleeves for each piece of documentation. It is my intent to keep this book with the trailer at all times to answer many of the questions I see popping up on the forums on this site for both the Casita and other named brands of trailers.

I find myself frequently referring to my Casita book to find answers to my questions. Unfortunately, not all manufacturers are complete in documenting their product.

Not all of the documentation came with the trailer, though Casita does provide a pouch with most of the documentation that comes with the various components in the trailer. I found it interesting that a few minor items Casita had little or no information. I found some of it by Googling the information on the Internet. I printed out my findings and added them to the book. I also included all of the sales receipts and related documents, photos, brochures, business cards and other items related to the purchase of my trailer.

I say all of this because I have found that if one does not collect as much information on a product, trailer, car, etc. immediately after purchase, you will never get the documentation or information you seek. Companies keep poor or incomplete records in many cases. And if they are using components from other companies, then getting any documentation after the fact may be almost next to impossible.

An example of one component for which I experienced this with Casita is the installed TV antenna (if you select that option). In my case, after my harassing Casita, I finally was given a one page sheet of paper that had a diagram of the antenna. No specifications, no antenna gain, no pictures, no real electrical diagrams. Even the manufacturer is in question. I have to go by Casita's word on this. The antenna is installed in the front of the trailer between the shower wall and the shell of the trailer. From what I can tell, this is a Chinese made antenna that probably cost about $10 to $15. Need I say more. In retrospect, I would have opted to install my own antenna. I suspect that for most camping situations, this antenna will be worthless.

The purpose of this post was to suggest that for those who have not done so yet, that they put together their own book. In my opinion, that should help maintain or increase the value of a trailer at resale. It not only helps the owner, but also future owner's to find resources and information about the trailer that may not otherwise be available.

While some of you have great memories, I have to confess to living in the era of the "golden years" of my life. Unfortunately, good memory is not a part of the "golden years". So a book like this is a huge help.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My binder even includes a brochure from Thetford, flogging their portable waste tanks. I keep all receipts for repairs etc with the instruction manuals in the binder sleeves. I think I replaced my battery two years ago, but according to the receipt, it's actually four years old. Time flies.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:29 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
My binder even includes a brochure from Thetford, flogging their portable waste tanks.
I have no documentation regarding my fresh water tank, or the waste tanks. I will need to contact Casita to get that information.

Thank you for jogging my mind that I should keep all receipts for everything for the trailer as I age with it.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:58 AM   #4

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
It's a really good idea.

I'll add that many, if not most members here bought used trailers, often with zero documentation. Some are old enough that no one offers documentation.

In both cases, I think it's at least as important to compile your own "owners manual". My trailer came with handwritten instructions on how to winterize and de-winterize. It's saved me a few times. To this I'd like to add instructions on operation and trouble shooting for the furnace, fridge, water pump, hitch connection, fuse panel/converter/inverter/plugging it shore power etc.

It begins to seem obvious at some point how to use these if you spend enough time in your trailer, but for those using theirs for a couple weekends a month, then putting it away for the winter, you sometimes never quite get the hang of any of these systems. Plus, when/if you sell the trailer, like Bob says it's a selling point. May not increase the price, but increases the likelihood that a buyer is comfortable that you were a good owner.

Like the old truck/car that only you could start because there were so many tricks that you didn't even think about anymore. We often see people post on this forum asking what to us seem like such simple, common sense questions on the basic operation of simple appliances. We forget the learning curve we went through years back.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:41 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
There's an awesome detailed in depth A-Z guide specifically for Casitas that covers every aspect, sold by Love my Casita, A-Z Casita Owner's Guide
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote