Fiamma Awning and rain - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2018, 08:29 AM   #1

Name: Harry
Trailer: Parkliner
Virginia
Fiamma Awning and rain

I learned the hard way to not leave the Fiamma awning up in the rain. I had the center rafter installed and the awning sloped away from the camper. My son had recently dumped the accumulated rain water. We were sitting at the inside table when we heard a loud noise, the awning had collapsed. We bought used and got no awning instructions with the Parkliner. Now I know the awning is only to block the sun.
The RS articulated arm cast end yoke had broken off the shock absorber at the inboard rail and broke the plastic retainer on the outboard rail. The center rafter was bent into a U.
The repair is expensive!
RS articulated arm $255 (only outboard end piece available, otherwise must replace entire arm assy). RS leg kit $18. Center Rafter $ 59 (also must get entire assy), S&H $25.
Outboard end cap and inboard winch assy must be removed first to replace the right arm. All the parts are slid into grooves on the rails, then tightened in place. BEFORE removing the damaged parts, mark the positions of arm's ends attaching hardware on the two rails, as they need to be properly positioned for awning to properly retract. Leave the new arm folded until later.
ATTENTION: Once the inboard RS winch assy is removed, there is nothing holding the awning and its roller, it can completely fall out! I tied the roller up with a rope to keep it in place until I was ready to reinstall the winch. The replacement arm is folded under spring tension, so be prepared to deal with that as the arm is unfolded.
Attach the winch end (inboard) of the extension arm first in the marked position and tighten the two allen screws. Be sure left end of the roller is still in place in its bushing. Reinstall the winch assy. Next, remove the outboard end cap assy by loosing one nut and slide this leg retaining assy off the mounting rail. Then loosen one nut on the outboard extension arm mount and slide off the rail. Now, carefully cut the plastic strap holding the arm extension folded and SLOWLY let the arm extend. Once the arm is extended, it will easily slide into its groove in the outboard rail. Slide it to the marked position and tighten its retaining nut. Then reinstall the RS outboard leg assy. Test the awning for proper extension and retraction.

The service at Fiamma was excellent and I had the parts on hand in two days.
Fiamma Tel: (407)-672-0091
2427 Forsyth Rd, Orlando FL 32807
hp in va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #2

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by hp in va View Post
I learned the hard way to not leave the Fiamma awning up in the rain. I had the center rafter installed and the awning sloped away from the camper. My son had recently dumped the accumulated rain water. We were sitting at the inside table when we heard a loud noise, the awning had collapsed. We bought used and got no awning instructions with the Parkliner. Now I know the awning is only to block the sun.
The RS articulated arm cast end yoke had broken off the shock absorber at the inboard rail and broke the plastic retainer on the outboard rail. The center rafter was bent into a U.
The repair is expensive!
RS articulated arm $255 (only outboard end piece available, otherwise must replace entire arm assy). RS leg kit $18. Center Rafter $ 59 (also must get entire assy), S&H $25.
Outboard end cap and inboard winch assy must be removed first to replace the right arm. All the parts are slid into grooves on the rails, then tightened in place. BEFORE removing the damaged parts, mark the positions of arm's ends attaching hardware on the two rails, as they need to be properly positioned for awning to properly retract. Leave the new arm folded until later.
ATTENTION: Once the inboard RS winch assy is removed, there is nothing holding the awning and its roller, it can completely fall out! I tied the roller up with a rope to keep it in place until I was ready to reinstall the winch. The replacement arm is folded under spring tension, so be prepared to deal with that as the arm is unfolded.
Attach the winch end (inboard) of the extension arm first in the marked position and tighten the two allen screws. Be sure left end of the roller is still in place in its bushing. Reinstall the winch assy. Next, remove the outboard end cap assy by loosing one nut and slide this leg retaining assy off the mounting rail. Then loosen one nut on the outboard extension arm mount and slide off the rail. Now, carefully cut the plastic strap holding the arm extension folded and SLOWLY let the arm extend. Once the arm is extended, it will easily slide into its groove in the outboard rail. Slide it to the marked position and tighten its retaining nut. Then reinstall the RS outboard leg assy. Test the awning for proper extension and retraction.

The service at Fiamma was excellent and I had the parts on hand in two days.
Fiamma Tel: (407)-672-0091
2427 Forsyth Rd, Orlando FL 32807
Never leave the awning out unattended in case of wind. The wind will whip it all over and you'll have damage also. The awnings are just not that sturdy. We have only had ours out a few times in 11 years. Even the big $500,000 rigs with awnings have auto retractors for wind and rain. So that tells you an awning is usually fairly weak.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
HMmmm?
And here I thought that Fiama was just doing a CYA so they would not be liable for damage claims.
Why have an awning if you can't get some shelter from rain?
Perhaps, if you keep the thing slanted downward, and lower at one side, the rain will not pool on top. … if that was why it got too heavy.
For windy (not a gale) situations, I add guy ropes to stakes set out at 45 degrees to help hold it.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
HMmmm?
And here I thought that Fiama was just doing a CYA so they would not be liable for damage claims.
Why have an awning if you can't get some shelter from rain?
Perhaps, if you keep the thing slanted downward, and lower at one side, the rain will not pool on top. … if that was why it got too heavy.
For windy (not a gale) situations, I add guy ropes to stakes set out at 45 degrees to help hold it.
Maybe we have been lucky(or you weren't)...I have done the same as above and been in rains of biblical proportions w/winds in excess of 30mph blowing straight into awning side...no problems...in fact winds strong enough, I wish I had stowed the awning but was afraid to touch for fear that DW and I wouldn't be able to safely stow by ourselves...truly sorry you had such serious problems.....
madjack😎
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
All awnings can be damaged by heavy rain and weather.
I just had a Fiamma installed at the Scamp factory and I believe that it will be OK in the rail and have left it up during the rain, but it MUST be tilted down and to one side to let the water run off and not pool on the fabric.
This applies to every RV awning out there, all of them.
The pins on the bottom of the legs need to be firmly planted.
I plan to add the clips to the Scamp sides ASAP as they might be more secure than the pins in the ground as they would resist uplift to some extent.
If you are expecting some wind then add some rope hold downs per the instructions.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I don't have a Flamma - have Carefree Fiesta. If I anticipate rain or wind, I reef the awning so it is only half way extended, and tilt it. Provides enough cover to keep chairs dry but doesn't pool water or catch the wind.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning half open.jpg  
Old 08-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Just got back from our first camping trip with our new Fiamma awning.
Love it!!
Yes the Fiamma is a very fragile awning. If there is a chance or rain or high wind and I'm not there to watch it, I'll retract it (takes a minute or two). Same thing if there's a risk of thunderstorm, or if we're away from the trailer for the day.
I did install the wall brackets and we used the awning this way all the time.
The awning can also be partially extended, which makes it less vulnerable to wind, and since the poles are shorter the whole thing is more rigid.
I did left it open during light rain with a good angle away from the trailer and one side higher than the other so the the water didn't pool (as with any awning).
Despite these drawbacks, we really love it, and honestly I couldn't imagine any other type of awning on our trailer.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:44 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
I am a Fiamma fan. My previous Catalina awning was ruined because I left it open and too high so the rain pooled and the awning collapsed and the structure was destroyed. I learned, it always seems the hard way! My fiamma is always at a height where the rain runs off and does not pool. I don’t trust wind. The awning is wonderful in sunny campsites!
John
Old 08-23-2018, 08:54 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
the Carefree on our Escape is far more robust than the Fiamma on our Casita. I too lower one side in the rain and keep it only partially extended, and so far all the rain has run off rather than puddle. I try and park the trailer so the street side is facing west to northwest, which is the predominant wind direction on the west coast, and also the sunset direction, this way the trailer itself blocks the worst of the wind (and late afternoon hot sun)...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:40 PM   #10

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Fiama

We were instructed @ Casita factory, to retract the awning when away. Period.

We do occ use the awning but often only to 'shade' the frig or keep lite rain out when opening the door..but we usually only put out the awning a foot or two for that stuff. For serious shade we use our Gazelle "screen house", well-anchored to ground, trees, bumpers etc etc.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning