Fiber Glass interior top coat issue. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Fiber Glass interior top coat issue.

Greetings,
I have an issue and concern with a problem on my 86 LD and not sure how to handle it. I am doing a total restoration and have removed the interior. I want to do some fiberglass patching on some vents and holes that I am either removing or relocating.
My issue is that there appears to be a black top coat of some material that when I wiped it down with acetone it became very sticky before it dried again. At first someone had indicated that it might be a color that was integrated into the resin;however, this does not appear to be the case as I can see some run marks from after spray.
I am fairly confident that no fiberglass patch or resin in the world will adhere to this stuff. Has anyone else run into this delimna and if so what did you do?
Thanks
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Goop.jpg  
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Humm, I'm wondering if its a really horrible glue that was used to hold the carpet in place? You could either very carefully use a brass wire brush to remove it. Being careful to not dig into the fibers. OR, maybe seal it with Zinseer?

RustOleum.com I know Zinsser shellac is used to seal smoke damage after a fire. Prevents bleed through when painting. The stuff is tough.

Anybody else have any suggestions for Mike?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #3

Texas
I need to expose the base FG so that I can complete my patching of all the holes. So I really cant cover over it. This is on the inside. The contact glue is mustard yellow and not it. I called a FG place today but he didnt return my call. I can call Casita tomorrow and see if they know what it is. Not sure thats it used anymore as the newer Eggs from them seem to have the clear FG look when exposed. Thanks Donna for input
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 04-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Let us know what you find out Mike. Inquiring minds want to know.... besides the problem will probably come up in the future and your input will add to the archives
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #5

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Typically a black coating was used to make transluscent fg less so.

Often, after the gel coat was sprayed in the mold, even if it was white, an overcoat of black was sprayed on before laminations of glass etc. were started. I'm not sure if it also made laying up easier, because air was easier to spot or if it also made the color "deeper". Whatever the reasons a coating of black was often used.

This situation seems slightly different in that the coating doesn't seem to be polyester based. It seems to be more tar based. If so, it would have to be washed off with solvent before patching.
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #6

Texas
I wish I knew. So I am hitching up my wagon and heading to Rice this morning. I have tried washing it off with acetone and that doesnt do it. I have tried grinding it off but then it exposes only what I would call white caps or just traces of fiber glass threads that have become exposed to the surface -not a nice cream color FG that I have seen on some of the Scamp Renos. Hopefully my trip to the horses mouth will be successful?
I am counting on someone there telling me what I am up against as they must have had to initiate repairs along the way back then. Its possible that someone on this or the Casita forum knows the answer but just hasnt seen this question yet.
Will let you know what I find.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 04-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #7

Trailer: Home Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
I wish I knew. So I am hitching up my wagon and heading to Rice this morning. I have tried washing it off with acetone and that doesnt do it. I have tried grinding it off but then it exposes only what I would call white caps or just traces of fiber glass threads that have become exposed to the surface -not a nice cream color FG that I have seen on some of the Scamp Renos. Hopefully my trip to the horses mouth will be successful?
I am counting on someone there telling me what I am up against as they must have had to initiate repairs along the way back then. Its possible that someone on this or the Casita forum knows the answer but just hasnt seen this question yet.
Will let you know what I find.

you won't get a white color here as I have explained in your pm...grind it clean and glass away....easy
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #8

Texas
No I understand per our PM that I would never see white. I was just trying to get to the bottom of this. I went to Casita and showed it to them and non of the current employees had seen it. (Victor was busy). Tim took acetone and rubbed it on the black stuff and it got very sticky. My concern was trying to get something for the resin to sink its teeth into. Anyway I'm back and have sanded down to a stable surface am going to try one patch and give it a go per Dave and see how it comes out.

Lots of little houses sitting on the side lines in front and sides.
Attached Thumbnails
20130412_103002.jpg  
If you Rest, You Rust

Tags
casita