Fiber Stream Door's Weather Stripping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2006, 06:47 AM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream
I am having a problem weather stripping the door on my Fiber Stream. The new floor gets wet when raining. If other owners could post pitures of their door's weather stripping that would be great.

thank you,

Charlie D
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:26 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
First, I'll take photos of mine later today.

I doubt if the problem is the door to door frame weatherstrip. I am currently working on my project Fiber Stream, and I can see daylight in places between the door and door frame. We have had some major storms in the past weeks, and no wet spots in the trailer.

If the leakage is occurring when the trailer is stationary, the likely culprit is the caulking between the door frame and the trailer fiberglass wall. You MAY be able to get a short term fix using something like silicone, but the only real solution is to remove the door, then remove the door frame, and re-caulk using the butyl caulk tape spoken of in other posts.

A more distant possibility is the rain awning over the door. Have a close look at the top of it; is it bent away from the trailer wall, or is it missing screws. The fix here is as above.

If the leakage does not occur when the trailer is stationary, but shows up after towing in the rain, there is another possiblity. The door is directlly behind the rear axle wheel. The trailer floor extends to within an inch of this rear wheel. All my aluminum sheeting has badly deteriorated over the bottom of the trailer, especially in this location. Also, in my Fiber Stream, the floor carriage bolts attaching the trailer to the frame are all loose. As a result, in places, the floor has broken away from the trailer shell, including at the entry door.

My solution is rather extensive:
<blockquote>1. Remove all accessible aluminum floor sheathing (Mine tore away easily by hand, only had to use a utility knife in the areas that the sheeting overlapped).
2. Replace floor-to-frame carriage bolts with elevator bolts. Due to head size and bolt hole spacing, I will leave a few of the old bolts tightened in place, and install new belevator bolts nearby.
3. Fiberglass (resin and chopped mat) the entire inside floor (the floor is actually invery good condition, but was wet when I removed the carpet).
4. Undercoat the trailer</blockquote>

Photos to follow, hope this helps.

Victor
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:18 PM   #3

Registry
Here's what I mean:
The entry door top drip edge can leak, as well as the door frame itself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sdoor_drip_edge_01.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	3132

The Fiber Stream Floor extends into the wheel well, as shown here.

Name:	swheel_well_at_door.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	3133

Note the bare plywood floor. I've already pulled out most of the worn out aluminum sheeting.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:08 PM   #4

Registry
And here is a shot of the floor at the entry door. You can see where the old fiberglass mat is cracked.

Name:	scracked_floor_at_door.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	3134

To repair this, I am first relpacing the old 1/4" x 2" carriage bolts with 5/16" x 1.5" elevator bolts as shown below.

Name:	snew_elevator_bolts.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	3135

Once had re-drilled the holes to 21/64", I puttied under the head of the elevator bolts with Powerfil 10 EH, an epoxy resin reccomended by my fiberglass supplier. Any resin that squeezes out is spread over the top of the bolt heads.

Victor
Old 05-23-2006, 09:47 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream
Quote:
And here is a shot of the floor at the entry door. You can see where the old fiberglass mat is cracked.

Attachment 3134

To repair this, I am first relpacing the old 1/4" x 2" carriage bolts with 5/16" x 1.5" elevator bolts as shown below.

Attachment 3135

Once had re-drilled the holes to 21/64", I puttied under the head of the elevator bolts with Powerfil 10 EH, an epoxy resin reccomended by my fiberglass supplier. Any resin that squeezes out is spread over the top of the bolt heads.

Victor

Victor,

Thank you for the photos and suggestions.

The leakage is occurring when the trailer is stationary. I have removed the door and e the door frame, and re-caulk using rope caulk not butyl caulk tape.

The rain awning over the door, I have repaired the same way.

I have replaced parts of the floor using pressure treated plywood anr replace the aluminum sheeting.
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiber stream