Fiber Stream roof - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #1

Name: Rich
Trailer: Currently Shopping - Fiberstream
Minnesota
Fiber Stream roof

Good morning.

My 1984 Fiber Stream has a rooftop air conditioner unit. Last night I noticed water dripping inside the trailer. I want to clean our the rooftop unit. My question, can I stand on the roof of my Fiber Stream? or should I plan on working on it from a ladder? Tips or thoughts appreciated.

Rich
rmcgeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:41 PM   #2

Name: Randy & Ranae
Trailer: Fiber Stream
OR - Oregon
Registry
Fiber Stream Roof Loads

I wouldn't put a load on the roof of a Fiber Stream. The air conditioner, when installed, is in the strongest part of the roof between the fridge cabinet and the little pass-through window wall. These two structures are the only thing that keeps the walls from bulging out due to the forces of the roof. I've seen a few where the screws from the outside going into the wall and fridge cabinet have decayed, and the walls bulged out significantly. If you've torn a Fiber Stream apart before, you'll know that these walls and cabinets are extremely light weight, and not attached to the walls very well.

I took the A/C off my roof, but that was also due to a ridiculous installation that involved putting a 4' x 4' piece of plywood on the roof with no sealant below.

Definitely ladder work IMHO.

Randy
OR335d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:26 AM   #3

Name: Rich
Trailer: Currently Shopping - Fiberstream
Minnesota
Makes sense, thanks Randy.

I was able to take the AC cover off, no blockage of drain holes. A few old wasps nests. I suspect that gasket needs replacing and the fact the Fiber Stream was not totally level. It is difficult to level the rear corner with the drains. I need to figure out a better way to level that corner. The original jack stand is not cutting it.
rmcgeher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiber stream