Originally Posted by jmanlove
Painting them is a good idea, I was really just planning on printing a bunch of extras, they're only 2 minutes or so a piece and use basically no plastic.
ABS would definitely be more UV resistant, but they have to flex to get into the holes, so I was worried about breakage. Maybe I'll try a couple and see how it works.
I think you could reduce the size and thickness of the detent latches. ABS is quite a bit stronger than PLA. Just as long as it is still wide enough to print properly. Of course Nylon is even better for such things in terms of flexing combined with strength but I don't know what materials you are able to work with. Assuming it is your personal printer versus being printed for you by a company with a wide range of materials to choose from.
I made several replacement weep covers using thin aluminum formed over the edge of a 3/4" thick board. The original weep hole covers on my Sunrader are 3/4" wide. The originals had no detents on them for a clip to latch into. I used Gorilla brand super glue to attach my aluminum replacements. That glue is rubber fortified and works great for bonding metal. Four years later now and they are still holding on tight.
Looking at the original weep hole covers on my Sunrader I realized they had been made with styrene plastic. I still have a few of those left to replace this spring. I do have a 3D printer now and I have used it to make a few window track replacement pieces for my Campster
. Those little pieces were also made from styrene plastic. Fortunately I had a couple of damaged ones still partially intact to reverse engineer from. Pretty amazing that any styrene weep hole covers from 1980 actually managed to last this many years but four of them did. But they are in a very fragile state.