Fibreglass cleaning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2008, 09:06 AM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Thumbs up

We have a friend who opted for a VW Westphalia (didn't have a TV for an egg) and he wants to clean the fibreglass pop-top on the Westy. Any suggestions as to what will work best? Because there's no gel coat I'm not sure if the many suggestions made the forum will work for him.
thanks
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Ian, We just bought a Casita this week, Stoped at a friends house on the drive home from buying it. He's a tinker-er-er-er. We were talking about the dullness of the fiberglass and he pulled out a product called NU Finish, he said he got it at Wallie World, less than $6 a bottle. Bottle is bright orange with black lettering. Anyway, he rubbed an area on our Casita. I was shocked how much dullness and dirt it took off. I was going to ask about the product here, I don't know if it's good or bad. But I know it sure made that little spot shine like you wouldn't believe! Hopefully someone here will be able to tell us about this stuff and if it's ok to use on the fiberglass. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
We have a friend who opted for a VW Westphalia (didn't have a TV for an egg) and he wants to clean the fibreglass pop-top on the Westy. Any suggestions as to what will work best? Because there's no gel coat I'm not sure if the many suggestions made the forum will work for him.
thanks
Ian
No Gel coat? What happened did it wash off? Gel coat is what releases the form from the molding process (actually it's a wax-type product on the gel coat). Are you saying it's bare fiberglass fibers? Or is so chalky he/she thinks there's no gel coat?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Was curious about Nu Finish. Found this thread on the Casita Forum:

Nu Finish

Nu Finish site:

Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:55 PM   #5

hmmmmm, interesting Booker. Glad you found that! Honestly I was shocked how good the spot looked. If it weren't raining puppy's and kittens here, I would run over and take a pic. There is that much differance. You can see the circle, and compared to the area's around the circle it looks like new. Anyway.................... I went and bought 3 bottles today. Hopefully no rain this weekend here. I am going to go for it. Don't think it can hurt! I will take before and after pics'. It says it doesn't require a buffer, but cause I don't relish hand buffing, I bought a small buffer to use with it as well. We will see!
Old 06-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Have lots of clean towels handy. If I remember right Nu Finish is similar to other products that are cleaner/polishers. Without enough clean applicator towels you'll just end up pushing the dirt around.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #7

Thanks Donna for the heads up!
Old 06-05-2008, 02:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Yep, pictures would be great. I have a package of Poliglow but I don't know if I will have time to do the whole treatment this spring, might go with something easier.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #9

Booker, I just ran over and tried to get a good pic, It's soooooooo overcast here. You can't see the difference. I will try and take some tomorrow cause the weather is suppose to be nicer. Sorry!
Old 06-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #10

Booker,

Ok here's a pic. Still not as good as what it looks like in person (too much sun today!) But gives you an idea of how well it cleaned. Robin
Attached Thumbnails
Nu_finish_Fiberglass.JPG