First Scamp First Camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1981 13' Scamp
Wisconsin
Question First Scamp First Camper

Hello everyone. My name is Steve and I bought my first camper this past Friday. I looked at a lot of campers and my girlfriend and I decided that the Scamp was the best bet for us. I purchased a 1981 13' Scamp. This forum is what we based our decision on and using the checklist for buying a camper that I found on this site insured us that we were doing the right thing.

Right now we are just putting enough into it to get it campable. We could camp in it the way it sits but wanted to fix the few broken or missing items. We ordered a few parts for it. The electrical cover, Fresh water cover, bracket for the table, and a new set of rear jacks.

Now for all the newbie questions:

1. When I turn the burners on the one on the right burns funny where it is getting more of a yellow flame than blue and the flame is much higher. Is this just a cleaning issue?

2. The suspension is obviously sagging. I have about an inch and a half clearance. Will the tire hit in the wheel well sooner or later or is there some sort of block that stops the tire from traveling that far? I will put a new axle in it before traveling far with it but it isn't in the budget right now. I towed it home which was about 400 miles and it didn't seem to be an issue but I don't want to end up with a hole in the wheel well. We would like to get some use out of it but don't want to use it if we could damage it.

3. The Refrigerator. The freezer gets biting cold but the fridge hardly cooled a six pack of Coke after running for four hours. Does it take quite some time to distribute the cold? Would I have to run the fridge like 12 hours before leaving or is there something wrong with it?

3.b. Where can I get replacement parts for the fridge? The plastic lock is broken on the handle and the freezer door latch is broken off.

4. The roof vent is leaking just a drip in heavy rain, what is the best product to seal this with? Just a simple silicone?

5. The windows were all tinted badly. We pulled it all off and the glass windows came out fine but the plastic windows have a lot of glue residue. We tried Windex to take it off but it didn't touch it. Any ideas of what will take this off without harming the windows?

6. Since there was no cover on the Fresh Water Fill we have no idea what is in the tank, could be dead mice for all we know. What is the best way to clean this out or are we better off just replacing it?

7. We don't have a gray water tank. Our sink runs right out the side of the camper to a hose connection. being that we have never camped before with a camper we don't know anything. Is there a gray water hook up at sites or are we supposed to be catching the water ourselves somehow?

8. We have a small rock ding in the front about the size of a pinky tip. What is the best way to fill this without it looking like a patch job?

That is all I have right now. I hope I'm not asking too many questions right off the bat. We just have no idea what we are getting ourselves into and like to be prepared.

Thank you,
Steve
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe Deluxe Side Dinette
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
Hello everyone. My name is Steve and I bought my first camper this past Friday. I looked at a lot of campers and my girlfriend and I decided that the Scamp was the best bet for us. I purchased a 1981 13' Scamp. This forum is what we based our decision on and using the checklist for buying a camper that I found on this site insured us that we were doing the right thing.

Right now we are just putting enough into it to get it campable. We could camp in it the way it sits but wanted to fix the few broken or missing items. We ordered a few parts for it. The electrical cover, Fresh water cover, bracket for the table, and a new set of rear jacks.

Now for all the newbie questions:

1. When I turn the burners on the one on the right burns funny where it is getting more of a yellow flame than blue and the flame is much higher. Is this just a cleaning issue?

2. The suspension is obviously sagging. I have about an inch and a half clearance. Will the tire hit in the wheel well sooner or later or is there some sort of block that stops the tire from traveling that far? I will put a new axle in it before traveling far with it but it isn't in the budget right now. I towed it home which was about 400 miles and it didn't seem to be an issue but I don't want to end up with a hole in the wheel well. We would like to get some use out of it but don't want to use it if we could damage it.

3. The Refrigerator. The freezer gets biting cold but the fridge hardly cooled a six pack of Coke after running for four hours. Does it take quite some time to distribute the cold? Would I have to run the fridge like 12 hours before leaving or is there something wrong with it?

3.b. Where can I get replacement parts for the fridge? The plastic lock is broken on the handle and the freezer door latch is broken off.

4. The roof vent is leaking just a drip in heavy rain, what is the best product to seal this with? Just a simple silicone?

5. The windows were all tinted badly. We pulled it all off and the glass windows came out fine but the plastic windows have a lot of glue residue. We tried Windex to take it off but it didn't touch it. Any ideas of what will take this off without harming the windows?

6. Since there was no cover on the Fresh Water Fill we have no idea what is in the tank, could be dead mice for all we know. What is the best way to clean this out or are we better off just replacing it?

7. We don't have a gray water tank. Our sink runs right out the side of the camper to a hose connection. being that we have never camped before with a camper we don't know anything. Is there a gray water hook up at sites or are we supposed to be catching the water ourselves somehow?

8. We have a small rock ding in the front about the size of a pinky tip. What is the best way to fill this without it looking like a patch job?

That is all I have right now. I hope I'm not asking too many questions right off the bat. We just have no idea what we are getting ourselves into and like to be prepared.

Thank you,
Steve
The flame on your burner is probably due to dirt or cob webs or something in the burner, a simple cleaning should fix the problem.

The suspension on a scamp 13 is low from the factory, you are more than likely fine if you towed it 400 miles with no problems.

Your refrigerator is fine, the cold radiates from the freezer to cool the refrigerator part. It does take some time to cool the box enought to put in meats and such. I have found that starting the refrigerator on propane to get a quicker cool down then changing it over to electric after it cools is the best way to go.

Your roof vent leak, is it coming from the vent lid itself or from around the base? The best way is to remove it completely and clean the surface and reseal it with new butyl tape and reinstall it. If it is just the plastic lid, you can buy a new one for under $15.00 at your local RV store.

Amonia will remove window tint glue, thats why on window film it states to never clean your windows with amonia based cleaners.

On the fresh water holding tank, you can flush it with a mixture of chlorine and water, or buy some food grade sanitizer like they use for sanitizing wine bottles or canning jars. I myself use about a 1/2 cup of chlorox then fill the tank full and drain it, then flush it with fresh water just to rinse out any residue.

You can drain your grey water in a toter tank, but they are pricey. i just use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid that has a female hose fitting installed on top with a small hole drilled in it for a vent.

Smooth the ding over with a good quality white silicone caulk, and you are good to go!

These tips are not out of the RV bible, just things that work for me.

Mark
Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shaffer View Post
The suspension on a scamp 13 is low from the factory, you are more than likely fine if you towed it 400 miles with no problems.

Your roof vent leak, is it coming from the vent lid itself or from around the base? The best way is to remove it completely and clean the surface and reseal it with new butyl tape and reinstall it. If it is just the plastic lid, you can buy a new one for under $15.00 at your local RV store.

Mark
Wow Awesome, thanks for the reply.

I was concerned about the suspension because I have an enclosed trailer with a torsion bar set up that was sagging. While going down the freeway the tire started rubbing on the wood floor and actually caught fire. Luckily I had a friend with me that noticed the smoke and we were able to extinguish the fire before their was any major damage. I sure didn't want to have the same happen with the Scamp.

With the roof vent I believe it is coming from the base because the drip was coming from the insulation side of the vent on the ceiling.

We are planning our voyage trip for the last weekend of August so I am just hoping to have this little bugger figured out by then. We are only planning on going a few hours from home for four days so in case anything happens we are still close to home.

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 08-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool The Refrigerator

Quote:
This forum is what we based our decision on and using the checklist for buying a camper that I found on this site insured us that we were doing the right thing.

I usually run my refrigerator for at least 8 hours before leaving. Also, since the fridge compartment is cooled by the freezer, many need a small circulating fan set on the bottom to pull cold down, and push warm up to become cooled.
https://www.makariosrv.com/products/...ut-Switch.html

Call Scamp, they might be able to help with getting parts. Also look in the Document center for your make and model of Fridge under "appliances". You might be able to get parts from the manufacturer.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I usually run my refrigerator for at least 8 hours before leaving. Also, since the fridge compartment is cooled by the freezer, many need a small circulating fan set on the bottom to pull cold down, and push warm up to become cooled.
https://www.makariosrv.com/products/...ut-Switch.html
Thanks for the info, I ordered the fan.

I have another question about the front of the Scamp. The PO did some welding on the front and fitted it with a 11lb propane tank and took the battery off. I finally found the battery wires tucked away. I cut all the amateur welding off and I would like to fit the battery and a standard tank on the front but it seems tight. I was looking for pictures of the front with not much luck.

Are they built to have a standard tank or is the 11lb correct? Is the battery closer to the camper or the LP tank? How are they supposed to be mounted?

The voyage trip is going to be to a no electric no water site so I would like to run the lights off the battery and fridge off gas. The battery I took out of my boat so I assume it is enough for the four days we will be camping.

I apologize for all the questions but I am as new as they get at this stuff.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Congratulations Steve! For the grey water tank on mine, I repurposed a detergent bottle by drilling a hole in the cap to fit the diameter of the hose. It easily fits under the sink for storage while traveling.
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #7

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Another good solvent for removing sticky residue is carburetor cleaner. But test it on a small spot first to ensure it won't cloud up the plastic window... I have no idea if it would.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #8

Registry
Cool

Quote:
The PO did some welding on the front and fitted it with a 11lb propane tank and took the battery off. I finally found the battery wires tucked away. I cut all the amateur welding off and I would like to fit the battery and a standard tank on the front but it seems tight. I was looking for pictures of the front with not much luck.

Are they built to have a standard tank or is the 11lb correct? Is the battery closer to the camper or the LP tank? How are they supposed to be mounted?

I apologize for all the questions but I am as new as they get at this stuff.
Don't be embarrassed, That's what we are here for! We want newbies to have the best possible experience!

Here is a diagram from the Scamp website:

Name:   ImgLibrary_0005.gif
Views: 428
Size:  12.1 KB
The battery goes close to the body, and a standard 20lb Propane tank goes in front of it. However they both fit is good enough. I've seen some installations where they are placed side-by-side, too.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #9

Wisconsin
Thanks again for all the great info.

As far as the sticky stuff on the windows, I found a product called "Bumper Sticker Remover" which seems to be getting it off slowly. I haven't seen any fogging effects from it yet so I am hoping it is going to be ok. Both the front and back windows are a bit scratched up so I think we are going to replace them down the road anyways but from what I heard it is best to take it to Scamp to have them replaced.

I ordered the brackets to hold the 20lb tank from Scamp. The 11lb tank that was on it had a copper line running all the way to it so I cut that off about 6" from where it goes in to the camper, flanged it, and added a rubber line to run to the 20lb tank. After I get everything fit properly I am going to sand down the front and repaint it.

Question: Can I replace the front jack with out cutting the welds off of the mounting plate? I thought about just getting one that bolts on but I think the bolts would be in the way of where I want to mount the LP tank. So if I have to I will just reweld a new one on.

The battery I guess I am going to use two nylon straps to hold it on giving easy access to charge it. I would like to be able to charge it from the truck but haven't figured out the wiring yet.

As for the gray water tank, I came across a 4 gallon water bottle at the store that basically looks kind of like a gas can except blue and says "Water" on it for $5.00. I cut a hole in the main cap and fit a female hose connection with it. It has the vent on the back and I have a cap for the connection so I figure that should work pretty good.

My next Question: I am looking at replacing a few of the Pop Rivets on the trailer. They are all missing the snap caps and the plastic that holds the snap caps. I was looking at the Scamp site and I am confused about the "Acorn Nut" Does that screw on the pop rivet or how does it work?

One more Question(for now): The "Banana" cushion, I get where it goes when the bunks are set up but where does this thing go when you are in sofa mode?

Here is a pic of it from when I first brought it home.
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_0761.JPG  
Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #10

Wisconsin
I got my first order of parts today.

1. I got the new pins for the door, that really helped the door. I don't have to lift up on the door to open it anymore.

2. The rear jacks. I busted my butt off getting the bolts off to save them for the new ones rather than just easily cut them off. Turns out the old bolts are too big for the new jacks.

3. The table hardware. All I needed is the bar that the table swings on. The new bar is about an inch and a half narrower than the old hardware so I am going to have to put all the new hardware on narrower than the old hardware leaving visible holes in the Ensolite.

Next question: What size are the rivets that hold the fresh water cover and the electric cover? Are those supposed to have snap caps also?

This camper is turning into a real challenging project and would be a lot more enjoyable if it was about twenty degrees cooler outside.

Thanks again.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Question: Can I replace the front jack with out cutting the welds off of the mounting plate? I thought about just getting one that bolts on but I think the bolts would be in the way of where I want to mount the LP tank. So if I have to I will just reweld a new one on.

My next Question: I am looking at replacing a few of the Pop Rivets on the trailer. They are all missing the snap caps and the plastic that holds the snap caps. I was looking at the Scamp site and I am confused about the "Acorn Nut" Does that screw on the pop rivet or how does it work?

One more Question(for now): The "Banana" cushion, I get where it goes when the bunks are set up but where does this thing go when you are in sofa mode?
Answer: I'm not sure about the side-mount swing-up jacks. I think the mounting plate is an important part of the swing-up function. I'd re-weld the new one on.

My Next Answer: The Acorn Nut does not screw on after the pop rivet is installed. The Acorn Nut is held to the inside surface at the same time the pop rivet is installed thru the plastic ring outside. As the rivet gun squeezes the rivet shank, making it shorter but wider, it fills the interior of the Acorn Nut grabbing the threads and holding on. Don't get hung up on the word "Nut"; it's more like an interior "cap".

One More Answer: There is no one correct place to put it. I've seen many people just lay it on top of the "sofa" back. I've also heard that it can go behind the bottom of the "sofa back" to angle it back like an easy chair instead of so vertical like a straight-back chair...
Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
One More Answer: There is no one correct place to put it. I've seen many people just lay it on top of the "sofa" back. I've also heard that it can go behind the bottom of the "sofa back" to angle it back like an easy chair instead of so vertical like a straight-back chair...
When used behind the bottom of the "sofa back", the bananna cushion also keeps the sides of the sofa back from rubbing the walls. Plus it provides a storage space big enough for the poles, an endless breeze fan and other things.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:

Great looking Scamp. I love the wheels and tires.

As for the jack, if it's the swing up type that swivels on the bracket welded to the frame; I got a similar jack from Harbor Freight,
Heavy Duty 2000 Lb. Capacity Top Wind Trailer Jack
separated it from the plate that welds to the frame, removed the old one from the trailer and swapped them over. I had to use the old circlip as the new one was too big. Bit of a struggle to get the old one off but easier than taking it to a welder!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #14

Wisconsin
Thank you for all the answers.

I ordered the front jack from Scamp hoping that it will be the same thing or close enough. If I have to cut the old one off so be it but hopefully not.

Back to the rear jacks. I drilled out the holes to fit the 1/2 inch bolts and put them in but the holes didn't line up so I had to redrill them. They are in now. The next problem I have is they sent me a "Jack Handle" but I have no idea how it is supposed to jack them up. I am hoping I am just missing something stupid. Attached is the jack and jack handle. Jack handle is the metal rod.

Can anyone tell me how to use this?
Attached Thumbnails
2010-08-12_20-01-42_307.jpg   2010-08-12_20-02-14_918.jpg  

Old 08-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Back to the rear jacks. I drilled out the holes to fit the 1/2 inch bolts and put them in but the holes didn't line up so I had to redrill them. They are in now. The next problem I have is they sent me a "Jack Handle" but I have no idea how it is supposed to jack them up. I am hoping I am just missing something stupid. Attached is the jack and jack handle. Jack handle is the metal rod.

There's a graphic and some instructions at the top of page 9 that will be very helpful. I ordered a pair of these last week, myself:

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/images/n_chassis.pdf

Regards,

Matt
Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #16

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
There's a graphic and some instructions at the top of page 9 that will be very helpful. I ordered a pair of these last week, myself:

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/images/n_chassis.pdf

Regards,

Matt
Thanks Matt. Now that I see the graphic I had an "oh duh" moment.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
If you would also like to see a video here is one from Scamp.
" Choosing a camping spot "
There are other things in the same video.

Bill K

Scamp Trailers - Owners Manuals

Quote:
Thanks Matt. Now that I see the graphic I had an "oh duh" moment.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Thank you for all the answers.

I ordered the front jack from Scamp hoping that it will be the same thing or close enough. If I have to cut the old one off so be it but hopefully not.

It sounds like you would have a great time if you came to
"Eggfest 2010" next month at Goose Island just outside Lacrosse Wi.
There will be dozens of Scamps with hundreds of years of cumulative experience, and lots of ideas you could use. Plus food, fun and great conversation.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #19

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It sounds like you would have a great time if you came to
"Eggfest 2010" next month at Goose Island just outside Lacrosse Wi.
There will be dozens of Scamps with hundreds of years of cumulative experience, and lots of ideas you could use. Plus food, fun and great conversation.
I was at Goose Island just 2 weeks ago! I think the Goose Island I visited was a little south of the one you're talking about though, this one was on the TX Gulf Coast!
TPWD: Goose Island State Park

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:20 PM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
"Next question: What size are the rivets that hold the fresh water cover and the electric cover? Are those supposed to have snap caps also?"

No snap caps are used on either. I replaced both of mine a couple of years back but sorry I don't recall what the size of the rivets were that I used. Just make sure they are long enough to go through the cover and the trailer walls with a bit to spare inside and you should be fine.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp