Hello everyone. My name is Steve and I bought my first camper this past Friday. I looked at a lot of campers and my girlfriend and I decided that the Scamp
was the best bet for us. I purchased a 1981 13' Scamp
. This forum is what we based our decision on and using the checklist for buying a camper that I found on this site insured us that we were doing the right thing.
Right now we are just putting enough into it to get it campable. We could camp in it the way it sits but wanted to fix the few broken or missing items. We ordered a few parts for it. The electrical
cover, Fresh water cover, bracket for the table, and a new set of rear jacks.
Now for all the newbie questions:
1. When I turn the burners on the one on the right burns funny where it is getting more of a yellow flame than blue and the flame is much higher. Is this just a cleaning issue?
2. The suspension is obviously sagging. I have about an inch and a half clearance. Will the tire hit in the wheel well sooner or later or is there some sort of block that stops the tire from traveling that far? I will put a new axle
in it before traveling far with it but it isn't in the budget right now. I towed it home which was about 400 miles and it didn't seem to be an issue but I don't want to end up with a hole in the wheel well. We would like to get some use out of it but don't want to use it if we could damage it.
3. The Refrigerator
. The freezer gets biting cold but the fridge
hardly cooled a six pack of Coke after running for four hours. Does it take quite some time to distribute the cold? Would I have to run the fridge
like 12 hours before leaving or is there something wrong with it?
3.b. Where can I get replacement parts for the fridge
? The plastic lock is broken on the handle and the freezer door latch is broken off.
4. The roof vent is leaking just a drip in heavy rain, what is the best product to seal this with? Just a simple silicone?
5. The windows
were all tinted badly. We pulled it all off and the glass windows
came out fine but the plastic windows
have a lot of glue residue. We tried Windex to take it off but it didn't touch it. Any ideas of what will take this off without harming the windows?
6. Since there was no cover on the Fresh Water Fill we have no idea what is in the tank, could be dead mice for all we know. What is the best way to clean this out or are we better off just replacing it?
7. We don't have a gray water tank. Our sink runs right out the side of the camper to a hose connection. being that we have never camped before with a camper we don't know anything. Is there a gray water hook up at sites or are we supposed to be catching the water ourselves somehow?
8. We have a small rock ding in the front about the size of a pinky tip. What is the best way to fill this without it looking like a patch job?
That is all I have right now. I hope I'm not asking too many questions right off the bat. We just have no idea what we are getting ourselves into and like to be prepared.