first trip out and I cracked my egg - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-12-2020, 08:40 AM   #41

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
My trailer came "pre-blemished." Not as severely as yours, and not in a place that really mattered, so I just left it. The advantage of getting past your first ding is you don't have to stress over the next one. Hopefully not as bad, but there will be gravel chips and perhaps a tree branch scrape or two. Now you don't have to treat it like a garage queen!

Happy camping!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:50 AM   #42

Name: Adam
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Thanks Jon. I agree this doesn't need to be a garage queen (barn queen in my case) and this also makes me glad to have a $6k camper and not a $16k camper. If it had been new I probably would have gone with a professional repair at a boat shop. I figure that I still can get a professional repair done someday if I ever have a change of heart. But as long as this holds up I suspect I'll leave it alone.

Also, if you have any small divots, I highly recommend the Marine-Tex product. It is ideal for little dings in the gel coat.

I am reading about painting on this forum. I see recommendations about fancy 2 part polyurethane products. Which make a tons of sense for a full camper paint job but I think I want to do something easier than that for such a small area. Ideally this would be a can of spray paint or a pint of paint.

If anyone has experience with painting over a small patch like this I'd like to hear how to did it.
AdamNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #43

Name: Sammy Joe
Trailer: Planning stage
Florida
Rust-Oleum makes Marine paints that are 1 part and mineral spirits clean up. Im using it as we speak on my boat restoration and its made for fiberglass/Gelcoat. Best part is you can find them at Home Depot,Lowes & other places. Im using them on floor ,insides and some smal parts and very reasonable price. I am goin with Total Boat brand paints for the outside hull and console you can get it in Quarts or by gallon($94.00 for my gal hull paint. If you get all your prep done ( dont skimp on products or time ) it will come out looking like new . You can check up on how well it holds up once I get it on the water hopefully next month
Sammy Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:22 PM   #44

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Adam,

I'm with Jon on the "pre-blemish", though I also anticipate that my wife might not entirely agree.

Have you contacted Scamp regarding what would work as a matching final coat? I'd thought I'd seen mention of this somewhere on the forum.

Here's some discussion of the gelcoat and some wisdom from Borrego Dave.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post550094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Jack L and Donna have it right, rock chips from traveling, it's patina. If you don't have some then you're not doing it right