first trip out and I cracked my egg - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #1

Name: Adam
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
first trip out and I cracked my egg

Hello forum, short time reader first time poster here. I have been reading on the forum since the beginnning of the summer and used it to find a great little Scamp 16 Standard, layout 4 that I bought at the beginning of September for our family of 4. Its a 2001 and it was completely restored by the previous owners with a new floor and many new systems. It was a great deal and is (was) in phenomenal shape.

Two weekends ago we took it up for an overnight camping trip near Conway NH. We "dry camped" because the camper was still winterized from the prior year and it wasn't worth the trouble. The camper worked out great for us and the wife and kids love it. All was good until we got home. We arrived after dark after several hours of driving. I had a plan for how I wanted to back it into the yard to unpack it but realized that I didn't have the space so I had to back down the drive way and "pull through". I thought all was fine until the next day when I got home from work and discovered that I had backed into a stump at the corner of the driveway. It managed to catch the corner that extends beyond the metal bumper (wish that bumper was a little wider on both ends!). I've attempted to attach pictures of the damage to this post. I hope they show up.

Anyway, I need some advice on what to do about this. I was so upset about the damage that I haven't been able to do anything beyond throw some duct tape over it to keep water out temporarily, but I need face this issue, fix it and move on. On the plus side (maybe) I did insure it and have a $500 deductable. At this point I figure I have 3 choices.

1) Repair it myself (no idea how to do this right)
2) Call my insurance company and try to find a professional repair shop (I'm assuming maybe this means a boat repair shop?)
3) Skip insurance but go with the pro repair.

So, what should I do?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3790.jpg   IMG_3793.jpg  

IMG_3794.jpg  
AdamNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Ouch....
Old 10-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Most boat repair places can do a nice job,
Scamp also does "Like New" repairs at reasonable prices.
I would get an estimate or two before deciding whether to file a claim.

Other options... maybe a cargo door or a creative bumper pad.
You could look into do it yourself videos, maybe you could do a better job than you suspect.
After a rough in, it can be finished with automotive body filler if you choose.
When done and not quite perfect, that might be a great place for some cartoon character art work, or some other design.

How about a 3TREES painting in honor of the original Scamp logo.

floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:30 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Fortunately this is an area that’s fairly easy to access from inside the trailer, so a DIY is certainly possible. There’s a very helpful thread “You Can Repair Fiberglass,” which a site search should turn up. Read through it and decide if you want to give it a try.

If you decide to go pro, I would get a couple of bids and then decide whether to file a claim.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
First thing I would do is get out the chainsaw and cut the stump flush so it doesn't happen again. Then find a boat repair shop and get an estimate. The estimate will tell you if you can live with a not so perfect do it yourself fix. West Marine will have what you need if you chose to go that route. Good luck.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:19 AM   #6

Name: Adam
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
First thing I would do is get out the chainsaw and cut the stump flush so it doesn't happen again.
This self inflicted damage is even worse than that. The stump is actually a giant hollow stump "planter" that put there a couple months ago. I had a large hollow maple cut down and thought it would look nice. Major regrets there and yes I'll be disposing of it soon.

The consensus seemed to be to get quotes for a professional repair and THEN contact insurance if its worthy. I was hoping some people who had been through fiberglass repair might be able to look at it and say immediately whether it was worth going through insurance. Has anyone ever dealt with an insurance company on getting something like this repaired? I suspect most insurance dealings are for total losses like the poor folks with the Scamp 13 that got rear ended in Maine recently.

I'm also not sure how long I have to report something like this to insurance. Its already been two weeks and by the time I am able to find a place willing to quote a repair and get it towed to them and get a quote it could easily be another couple weeks.

Its nice to know that Scamp has the ability to fix it well. But Minnesota is quite a drive from NH so that probably won't be top on my list, but I could see getting out there eventually. If I prevented water intrusion by covering it with something like 8" wide white Flexseal tape could the repair be delayed indefinitely and the trailer still be used?

It is going to be really tough to end up with an ugly repair right here on the side of the trailer where the awning and door are. I may have to sell the trailer so I don't have to look at it anymore.
AdamNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:59 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Since you have really good insurance and are unsure how to do it yourself, I would get it repaired professionally.

+10 Police your driveway/backup area and immediately remove all possible obstacles! In the dark, you will find them....

I've learned how to back up pretty darn good, but in the dark, not so much..

Yes it’s worth an insurance claim unless you want to eat $2000 plus. Get bids and you will know for sure.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:42 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Discuss the time issue with your agent. They can advise you regarding any time window for initiating a claim. With my company, an incident only goes against my claim history if they actually pay out. If I open a claim and later decide to take care of it myself, no harm, no foul.

Noting what you said about a less-than-perfect repair bothering you enough to sell the trailer, it sounds like a professional repair is the way to go, with or without assistance from insurance. To keep this in perspective, consider that just replacing a damaged bumper fascia on an automobile can easily run $1-2K. Don’t beat yourself up.

And yes, you can certainly seal up the damaged area and use the trailer until you arrange a repair. One member had a tree limb fall on his Scamp during a months long trip, and that’s exactly what he ended up doing.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Registry
If you are a handy guy and willing to learn as you go then maybe a DIY BUT, get an estimate first. I agree with everyone who suggested that and even though I would fix this myself, I would still get the estimate. Professional repair is always nice but not always affordable. And the stump removal is a given. Fiberglass repair takes time but if you goof up, it can always be redone. The spot you damaged is not too hard to get at which is at least some reprieve.
Steve Stresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #10

Name: Pete
Trailer: U-Haul 1986 -- got it 7/2013
Virginia
Registry
If you go the DIY route, get hold of some of the literature from Gougeon Brothers, the makers of West System resins and supplies. They walk you through the process step-by-step. The material used to be free for the asking; I don't know if that's the case any more. By now, it's probably all online. West Marine is a good source for the products (I don't think they're connected except in having the same name).
Pete Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Adam, it's an easy fix,, done the same type of thing on my boler, TWICE!
Lots a guidance here on the forum, watch some vids on YouTube to educate yourself and have at it!
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:17 AM   #12

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
If you are handy and have the time...you can do this repair...see video below. A boat shop can also repair as others have said. Good luck.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...B&&FORM=VDRVRV
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Sorry for your misfortune.

Fiberglass is very repairable and easily done if you know what you're doing, otherwise it can be a challenge.
I see two concerns here; make the repair as strong as the original and do it well enough so that the repair doesn't show.
It's been my experience that the first goal is more easily achieved than the second.
If your insurance deductible isn't too much I'd check out that option first.
Good luck!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNH View Post
This self inflicted damage is even worse than that. The stump is actually a giant hollow stump "planter" that put there a couple months ago. I had a large hollow maple cut down and thought it would look nice. Major regrets there and yes I'll be disposing of it soon.

The consensus seemed to be to get quotes for a professional repair and THEN contact insurance if its worthy. I was hoping some people who had been through fiberglass repair might be able to look at it and say immediately whether it was worth going through insurance. Has anyone ever dealt with an insurance company on getting something like this repaired? I suspect most insurance dealings are for total losses like the poor folks with the Scamp 13 that got rear ended in Maine recently.

I'm also not sure how long I have to report something like this to insurance. Its already been two weeks and by the time I am able to find a place willing to quote a repair and get it towed to them and get a quote it could easily be another couple weeks.

Its nice to know that Scamp has the ability to fix it well. But Minnesota is quite a drive from NH so that probably won't be top on my list, but I could see getting out there eventually. If I prevented water intrusion by covering it with something like 8" wide white Flexseal tape could the repair be delayed indefinitely and the trailer still be used?

It is going to be really tough to end up with an ugly repair right here on the side of the trailer where the awning and door are. I may have to sell the trailer so I don't have to look at it anymore.

I had a guy run into my Scamp in a parking lot. His insurance was responsible. I went to an RV repair shop and was given a preliminary estimate of around $4000. I then wen to a boat repair shop the estimate there was $1800. I made an appointment and took the trailer in. Repaired in less than 2 weeks and you can't tell it's been wrecked.

Insurance paid without any question. You'll probably have to pay a deductible. Call your insurance agent for information. Since boat repair shops for the most part are not very busy this time of the year it should be an easy fix.

FYI the damage was done to the right side just behind the wheel well.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I see two concerns here; make the repair as strong as the original and do it well enough so that the repair doesn't show...
The first goal is done from the inside by applying glass cloth over the affected area (after aligning and stabilizing the cracks from the outside). Happily, the damaged area is inside the rear bench so the work will not show and does not have to be pretty. You'll have to remove the bench, water tank, and peel back the rat fur and insulation.

The second goal is done from the outside by grinding away the rough edges, feathering the cracks, filling in the gaps and cracks, smoothing, and then applying a tinted gel coat restoration product. If I left anything to a professional, it might be the last step.

The biggest downside to DIY is not the technical difficulty but (1) you need a fair bit of protective equipment to work with fiberglass, (2) with winter approaching, you need a protected and temperature-controlled space to do it in, and (3) it's messy.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Fortunately this is an area that’s fairly easy to access from inside the trailer, so a DIY is certainly possible. There’s a very helpful thread “You Can Repair Fiberglass,” which a site search should turn up. Read through it and decide if you want to give it a try.

If you decide to go pro, I would get a couple of bids and then decide whether to file a claim.
It's in the area of the fresh water tank, so inside access would require removal of the tank.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #17

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
It's in the area of the fresh water tank, so inside access would require removal of the tank.
Yes, as I noted in my most recent post, and yes, that does add some complexity. How much is involved depends on whether the OP just has the basic cold water hand pump set-up or full hot and cold plumbing with 12V pump. Nice thing about the rear benches is they come out easily with no rivets to deal with, just some screws.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #18

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNH View Post
Hello forum, short time reader first time poster here. I have been reading on the forum since the beginnning of the summer and used it to find a great little Scamp 16 Standard, layout 4 that I bought at the beginning of September for our family of 4. Its a 2001 and it was completely restored by the previous owners with a new floor and many new systems. It was a great deal and is (was) in phenomenal shape.

Two weekends ago we took it up for an overnight camping trip near Conway NH. We "dry camped" because the camper was still winterized from the prior year and it wasn't worth the trouble. The camper worked out great for us and the wife and kids love it. All was good until we got home. We arrived after dark after several hours of driving. I had a plan for how I wanted to back it into the yard to unpack it but realized that I didn't have the space so I had to back down the drive way and "pull through". I thought all was fine until the next day when I got home from work and discovered that I had backed into a stump at the corner of the driveway. It managed to catch the corner that extends beyond the metal bumper (wish that bumper was a little wider on both ends!). I've attempted to attach pictures of the damage to this post. I hope they show up.

Anyway, I need some advice on what to do about this. I was so upset about the damage that I haven't been able to do anything beyond throw some duct tape over it to keep water out temporarily, but I need face this issue, fix it and move on. On the plus side (maybe) I did insure it and have a $500 deductable. At this point I figure I have 3 choices.

1) Repair it myself (no idea how to do this right)
2) Call my insurance company and try to find a professional repair shop (I'm assuming maybe this means a boat repair shop?)
3) Skip insurance but go with the pro repair.

So, what should I do?
Some auto body shops do fiberglass repairs. So much stuff on cars are fiberglass and plastic now that many do fiberglass repairs. Call them and ask if they do the work you need then take the trailer to them for an estimate. Check with your insurance company to see if they recommend anyone in your area.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:19 PM   #19

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I would file a claim for that. It is what your insuarance is for. I think it will be between a grand and two grand to fix attractively.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:46 PM   #20

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I had a guy run into my Scamp in a parking lot. His insurance was responsible. ...
Insurance paid without any question. You'll probably have to pay a deductible. ....
There can be a world of difference between a collision where the insured was at fault, vs not at fault. A collision where the insured was hit is VERY different from one where the insured hits a fixed object, depending on state laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Discuss the time issue with your agent. They can advise you regarding any time window for initiating a claim. With my company, an incident only goes against my claim history if they actually pay out. .. ...
This is an important point. If you even mention that you had an accident, some insurers can then consider you a greater risk and either increase your rates or deny future coverage.

You need to have an agent that actually looks out for your interests and that you can trust. Ideally you would have "the talk" long before damage is done. Ask what happens if you have an accident and make an inquiry but dont make a claim. Ask what effect a claim has on future rates. Sometimes its best to pay for repairs yourself and keep your current insurance rate. Sometimes its better to take the payout, and maybe even pay a higher rate for a few years.

The only thing you can be sure of is, that when your policy is included with thousands or more of others, the insurance company will still make money. So you might get a payout at the expense of those who dont make claims, or only make small ones. Or, you might be one of those subsiding the other insured who seem to be more accident prone.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote