Fitting Burro in 7' Garage - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-13-2020, 09:53 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Connor
Trailer: scamp
California
Posts: 2
Fitting Burro in 7' Garage

I have seen some posts about fitting a 13' scamp in a 7' garage but I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with a burro? I am looking into the best trailer options and fitting into the garage is a must.

Does anyone know the exterior height of burros?

Thanks in advance!
__________________

cburkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:32 AM   #2
JMS
Member
 
JMS's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Posts: 75
Registry
13' Burro height

The height including the roof vent is approximately 7'6" to 7'8" in height
__________________

JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:46 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Posts: 111
As I posted earlier today: an old US Army trick- let the air out of the tires to lower the vehicle height to get through low overpasses. Used it to get my Boler into the garage while storing it at home.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:45 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Posts: 1,105
Look at the construction of your garage. Is it possible to raise the door opening?
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Kenny Strong's Avatar
 
Name: kenny
Trailer: Bigfoot 13'
Utah
Posts: 341
Hi as Nicolas suggests, or buy used rims on the web or junk yard remove the tires.
you can buy small utility trailer wheels. 12" to 16" same bolt hole pattern
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #6
Member
 
Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Posts: 94
Registry
You can do it. Here is my 17' Boler. Of course I had to take the roof vents off and put on the twelve in wheels without tires [IMG]20191127_162014_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:34 PM   #7
Member
 
felix2's Avatar
 
Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
Posts: 90
I had a garage with an 8' door, and I could roll my Burro right in. Very nice! Then i moved to a 7' garage door, and the only way I can get it inside is to reframe the door - raise the header 16" and have an extra panel installed on the garage door. Figured about $2400. That's over two years of my $90/month covered secure storage, and since I knew I'd be selling the burro within that time, i didn't do the remodel. What I'm replacing the Burro with would never fit garage anyway...
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #8
Member
 
Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
Posts: 57
My first thought is to use/construct two 2 solid tire drop center dollies, and set the lowest part of the suspension or hub on the dollies for transition into the garage. This only works well on flush surfaces, not so well if an irregular surface.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:12 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Rodcop9405's Avatar
 
Name: Rodney
Trailer: Casita
Indiana
Posts: 15
Registry
Fitting through a 7' door

I too would like to get my 16' Casita camper inside my garage with a 7' door and modifying my garage is not an option. I have been toying with the idea of making wheels, slightly larger than the diameter of the hubs, out of plywood. I have seen temporary plywood wheels used in hotrod restoration work and thought maybe I could adapt the concept.

I was thinking of using two layers of 3/4" plywood glued/screwed together then cut two 10" diameter wheels with the hub and bolt pattern drilled out. I expect I would need to countersink the lug holes to have enough threads exposed and use a washer under the lugnut. My plan would also use 2X8 boards for the camper to roll across as I pushed back into my garage, my driveway is loose gravel in front of my detached garage.

I am pretty confident it will work but I would really like someone else's thoughts.
Rodcop9405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Posts: 2,972
Registry
Google and you will see others have had success with plywood "wheels". Whether they are currently active to respond to your question, I do not know. But google will find their prior postings.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:55 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodcop9405 View Post
I too would like to get my 16' Casita camper inside my garage with a 7' door and modifying my garage is not an option. I have been toying with the idea of making wheels, slightly larger than the diameter of the hubs, out of plywood. I have seen temporary plywood wheels used in hotrod restoration work and thought maybe I could adapt the concept.



I was thinking of using two layers of 3/4" plywood glued/screwed together then cut two 10" diameter wheels with the hub and bolt pattern drilled out. I expect I would need to countersink the lug holes to have enough threads exposed and use a washer under the lugnut. My plan would also use 2X8 boards for the camper to roll across as I pushed back into my garage, my driveway is loose gravel in front of my detached garage.



I am pretty confident it will work but I would really like someone else's thoughts.


I posted earlier that the NATO boys used to let sufficient air out of the tires of their trucks to get the trucks under overpasses in Europe in the 60s. The same trick would work here plus give a better rolling surface if you have a gravel driveway.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Rodcop9405's Avatar
 
Name: Rodney
Trailer: Casita
Indiana
Posts: 15
Registry
Unfortunately, I need a little more space than the flattened tires will provide.
Rodcop9405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:17 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Egg White's Avatar
 
Name: Philip
Trailer: Casita
SEUSA
Posts: 14
Rodney,
I have a 2018 16 foot Casita and fit it through a garage with a 611 opening. I had to do two things to get it to fit. First, I deleted the vent fan on the roof when I ordered it. Then I swapped out the road wheels/tires with 12 steel rims. You have to use a 1/4 thick spacer between the drum and rim because the rim will not totally clear the drum. With this set up, I have approximately 3/4 clearance on the top and bottom.

It appears from your avatar that you have the roof vent. Since ordering mine, I have seen that Maxxair now offers a low profile fan with a flat cover that reduces the height by a couple of inches. I believe, with a little jockeying, it might fit through the opening. However, since we really have not missed the fan, I have not gone through the trouble of installing one.

Hope this helps.

Philip
__________________
2018 Casita 16 Liberty
2016 Tacoma 2.7l 4-cyl
Egg White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:57 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Rodcop9405's Avatar
 
Name: Rodney
Trailer: Casita
Indiana
Posts: 15
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg White View Post
Rodney,
I have a 2018 16 foot Casita and fit it through a garage with a 611 opening. I had to do two things to get it to fit. First, I deleted the vent fan on the roof when I ordered it. Then I swapped out the road wheels/tires with 12 steel rims. You have to use a 1/4 thick spacer between the drum and rim because the rim will not totally clear the drum. With this set up, I have approximately 3/4 clearance on the top and bottom.

It appears from your avatar that you have the roof vent. Since ordering mine, I have seen that Maxxair now offers a low profile fan with a flat cover that reduces the height by a couple of inches. I believe, with a little jockeying, it might fit through the opening. However, since we really have not missed the fan, I have not gone through the trouble of installing one.

Hope this helps.

Philip
Thank you for the info. The top half of our vent is easily removed and I can even remove the inter dome if necessary. I will do some more accurate measuring tomorrow.
Rodcop9405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:29 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Egg White's Avatar
 
Name: Philip
Trailer: Casita
SEUSA
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodcop9405 View Post
Thank you for the info. The top half of our vent is easily removed and I can even remove the inter dome if necessary. I will do some more accurate measuring tomorrow.
Just looked closer at the picture in your avatar. Your unit appears to be older than mine. I don’t recall the year that Casita upgraded to the 3500 pound axle, which has 10” diameter brake drums. I believe the earlier axle had 7” or 7.5” diameter drums, which I recall allows the use of 10” steel garage rims.
__________________

__________________
2018 Casita 16 Liberty
2016 Tacoma 2.7l 4-cyl
Egg White is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
burro


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fitting 13' Scamp into garage with 7' opening mkrueger Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 06-30-2016 03:58 PM
Steel wheels or fitting it in my garage?! PrettylilTrilly Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 14 07-11-2015 08:58 PM
Burro in the Garage Scott B. General Chat 12 06-28-2011 06:42 AM
Burro in a 7ft garage? B.Peterson Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 09-19-2010 10:52 PM
Really crummy Scamp shower fitting Steven Tonnesen General Chat 15 02-13-2006 11:39 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×