Fixed my Elixir Travlr fridge in Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2021, 10:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Fixed my Elixir Travlr fridge in Trillium

Hi all! Thought my old fridge was done for on propane. I had a nice blue flame coming from the burner but it just wouldn't get cold. Did all the tricks I could find including cleaning the burner, tapping on and blowing out the flue and gently banging on the coils with a rubber mallet to free deposits. I also found online where someone had posted about cleaning the gas orifice but since I had a nice blue flame, figured this wasn't my problem. But, after I made an appointment at my RV shop to look at it - which was 3 months out - I figured I had nothing to lose. Soooooo, turned off the gas and removed the gas line, sparker line and thermocouple line. I separated the burner from the orifice assembly and then unscrewed the small, brass gas orifice which I soaked in a shot glass with rubbing alcohol for an hour. Before reassembly, I blew out the gas line, burner and orifice assembly. Nothing during this process convinced me that I was actually doing anything that would help. However, after reassembly, my nice blue flame was 3X the size it was previously - and the next morning, I had ice in my fridge. If you're at wits end and can't get in to see a professional, might give it a try - cheers!
TODD KLIETZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:12 AM   #2

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
YEAH!!!!
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:22 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
That's the kind of story I like to hear.
jwcolby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 02:52 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Had the same experience with my Dometic RM360 fridge when first attempting to operate this fridge in propane mode. Worked fine in 110 vac electric mode. Tried propane mode for the first time. The burner lit up, but the fridge was not cooling. Cleaned the burner but still no success. I then followed the Dometic manual instructions for cleaning the ruby gas jet which included removing it and soaking in alcohol for an hour. I used a magnifying glass to inspect the ruby jet both before and after soaking which revealed that the alcohol soaking had worked to completely clear the ruby jet orifice. Put the fridge back together and it worked perfectly.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, trillium