Fixing a Sagging Scamp Roof - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2022, 07:51 PM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: Scamp
MI
Fixing a Sagging Scamp Roof

My Scamp has a sagging roof near the middle of the arch. I would like your opinion on two different ways I am considering to fix it:

1. Reinforce the bottom by bolting on three or four 1" aluminum tubes, running from front to back, that I have pre-bent using my tubing bender, matching the arc.

2. Gluing (using epoxy) a sheet of FRP down the middle, either on the outside or inside. FRP is that sheet fiberglass material with the pebble finish that is used in cheap shower installations. The smooth surface would be oriented to be visible. Installing it on the outside would allow the elephant hide inside to remain intact.

Both methods would be accompanied by a supporting pole lifting the roof until installation is complete.

Any opinions, or better ideas?
Frank R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:07 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
There was this post....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
My Scamp has a sagging roof near the middle of the arch. I would like your opinion on two different ways I am considering to fix it:Any opinions, or better ideas?
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...oof-97117.html
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:09 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
My 40 year Boler 17 has a dip in the center of the roof so that it pools water. I plan to jack up the roof and either:

- add two layers of 1708 fiberglass material (with epoxy or polyester resin) to the roof (and finish with fairing compound), or

- peel back the ensolite on the ceiling and apply one or two layers of 1708 fiberglass material and maybe 1/2" plywood (?) to the ceiling

Youtuber BoatworksToday did the former on the very bouncy/spongy deck of his small boat resulting in a very rigid deck.

EDIT: If I go with option 1, I will grind off some of the gelcoat before laying the 1708 material.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:17 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
more info on 1708 fiberglass reinforcement

Here is the BoatworksToday thread on applying 1708 to stiffen the deck:

Also see post #8 of Steve Hague's thread where he reinforced the roof with 1708:

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post818973
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:46 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I often wonder if the walls are spreading due to lack of support structures drawing the roof down?
Old 05-03-2022, 10:29 AM   #6

MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
- add two layers of 1708 fiberglass material (with epoxy or polyester resin) to the roof (and finish with fairing compound), or
My second option is basically the same thing but less work. The FRP is fiberglass reinforced plastic.

Filon is a similar option. But I can get FRP at my local Home Depot.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:47 AM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The only thing I would sugest is some cross members on the outside of the roof from one side to the other. I would use 1" square tube pultruded fibreglass, but fibreglass the ends closed.
https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/S...-FT/p/WWG4ATN8
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:54 AM   #8

MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
I often wonder if the walls are spreading due to lack of support structures drawing the roof down?
I would guess No to this. It looks like a point load from snow.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:12 PM   #9

MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
The only thing I would sugest is some cross members on the outside of the roof from one side to the other. I would use 1" square tube pultruded fibreglass, but fibreglass the ends closed.
https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/S...-FT/p/WWG4ATN8
I think this would look okay if it was disguised as a roof rack.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:16 PM   #10

MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Also see post #8 of Steve Hague's thread where he reinforced the roof with 1708:

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post818973
Wow... seven layers of fiberglass. Well, he did say it was overkill.
Old 05-03-2022, 01:25 PM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
I think this would look okay if it was disguised as a roof rack.
At 1" higher than the trolly roof, with 45° beveled ends. I would be surprised if anyone notices it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 05:45 PM   #12

MI
I did an inventory of my supplies left over from my boat building days. I have several yards of 6" wide 12 oz. biaxial tape, several yards of 6 oz. cloth, and about a gallon of resin.

I will have to unroll the 12 oz. tape and see how many square feet I can cover with two layers laid down perpendicular to one another.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:56 PM   #13

MI
I am also tempted to just use two layers of lauan underlayment on the underside. Glue them to one another to maintain the arch and then glue the assembly directly to the elephant hide; then bolt the assembly through the fiberglass above. Then cover the whole piece with headliner material.

This would be a lot less work then the fiberglass.

Thoughts?

Maybe 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood. Better quality and I will probably be making the doors out of it anyway.
Old 05-07-2022, 11:08 AM   #14

Name: Nancy
Connecticut
Quote:
My Scamp has a sagging roof near the middle of the arch. I would like your opinion on two different ways I am considering to fix it:

1. Reinforce the bottom by bolting on three or four 1" aluminum tubes, running from front to back, that I have pre-bent using my tubing bender, matching the arc.

2. Gluing (using epoxy) a sheet of FRP down the middle, either on the outside or inside. FRP is that sheet fiberglass material with the pebble finish that is used in cheap shower installations. The smooth surface would be oriented to be visible. Installing it on the outside would allow the elephant hide inside to remain intact.

Both methods would be accompanied by a supporting pole lifting the roof until installation is complete.

Any opinions, or better ideas?
I had the same problem..was a snow load issue in the distant past. However I fixed the dip in the roof of my 1976 Scamp by adding a fiberglass beam. (Jacked up the ceiling to the proper height, cut and sanded down a bean shaped structure styrofoam material, then I glued it on the fiberglass after I cut away a bit of the elephant skin, sanded down the fiberglass surface and fiberglassed over it) . I’m not sure how to upload a picture since I don’t have a URL, but will email it to you have an address. I painted it white to match the ceiling elephant skin.
Nancy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 05:45 PM   #15

MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy. View Post
I had the same problem..was a snow load issue in the distant past. However I fixed the dip in the roof of my 1976 Scamp by adding a fiberglass beam. (Jacked up the ceiling to the proper height, cut and sanded down a bean shaped structure styrofoam material, then I glued it on the fiberglass after I cut away a bit of the elephant skin, sanded down the fiberglass surface and fiberglassed over it) . I’m not sure how to upload a picture since I don’t have a URL, but will email it to you have an address. I painted it white to match the ceiling elephant skin.
How hard was it to remove the elephant skin? Could it be re-used?
Old 05-08-2022, 06:13 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy. View Post
I’m not sure how to upload a picture since I don’t have a URL, but will email it to you have an address. I painted it white to match the ceiling elephant skin.
Sounds like you’re using the globe/link icon, which is used to creat a clickable link to an external website, hence the URL.

For pictures you want the paper clip icon on the top row. If you don’t see it, click “Go Advanced” under your post.

Your solution sounds interesting. Hope you post the pictures here so we can all see!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:42 PM   #17

Name: Bob
Florida
SAGGING ROOF? First things first

If roof is sagging, first restore the original structural support. When we got out 1982 Scamp 16, only one support was left for the roof - the closet across from the door. Had to determine the correct profile and make templates for the structure from floor to ceiling. With the original structural support provided, have taken several 1,000 plus mile trips with not problems. I made solid wood supports instead of the curled steel at the rear. With the proper factory support duplicated, the roof should be fine with the exception of an air conditioner.
Bob Durrstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:27 AM   #18

MI
This is what I am dealing with.

The structure is okay.

The second photo shows what it looks like after I put a board under it and propped it up from the inside. Much better but not perfectly smooth in either direction.

Working from the inside would certainly be easier, but anything I put in will interfere with head clearance (I am 6').

The first solution suggested, flat bar aluminum stock bolted across the ceiling, would probably be the simplest and least intrusive. Maybe two or three 1/4" thick pieces held on with stainless steel bolts. I could always add more.
Attached Thumbnails
20220508_150043b.jpg   20220508_203719a.jpg  

Old 05-12-2022, 03:23 PM   #19

Name: Lance
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot 1988 B13.5
Alberta
1988 13' Lil' Bigfoot interior Reno

Couldn't figure out how to get the link in the post. If you search it, it's still there.

I did this post a while back, it shows how I shored up the roof then used plywood and rivets to support then fiberglassed it all in. It has held up very well and no sag anymore.

Lance
Drtriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:43 PM   #20

MI
Thanks. I looked at the pictures. That is one way I am considering.

The hole for the roof vent is troublesome since it is right on the edge of the monitor roof.

Tags
scamp