Fixing Scamp Door Part 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
heavy door/cut guts out refilled/refiberglasses and recovered with vinyl..

Lightened my scamp door...any questions just ask otherwise I'm just posting photos
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_door_003.jpg   scamp_door2_001.jpg  

scamp_door2_005.jpg   scamp_door2_004.jpg  

scamp_door2_006.jpg  
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #2

ohhhh brandy thats so nice....
Old 02-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
ohhhh brandy thats so nice....
Feeling purty proud of yourself for such a fine job huh?? See, I told ya not to be afraid of fiberglass work.... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hee hee! I saw your post last night, but I thought maybe you were going to add more photos, so I held off in replying.

Good for you for tackling the job yourself

I have a couple of questions, as long as you're here:

1) What did you put back in for core?

2) Was the curve of your door already a good fit, and did you use some kind of jig to hold that shape while you worked on it? And/or did you do some shape tweaking as part of the job?

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #5

Insulation...from a cooler cut it up into workable pieces (please don't tell me if I shouldn't have done that

and as far as the shape I had a rachet strap all the way around.
I placed the door on the hinges, wrapped the strap around the door and proceeded to rachet away until I got the right bend. The door itself didn't seem to want to spring flat so I wasn't to worried. If you look at how I cut out the pieces I had three seperate pieces. I left a good one inch around the edges to help keep that shape and even left a 3 inch piece intact to make sure the door wouldn't twist like a rag.

I did some tweaking on the hinges by adding more spacers to force the door upwards. The I took the door off and proceeded to fiberglass away.

The bottom left of the door fits more snug now by far. I am very pleased with the results. I have some more fiberglassing to be done where the threshold is.

Quote:
Hee hee! I saw your post last night, but I thought maybe you were going to add more photos, so I held off in replying.

Good for you for tackling the job yourself

I have a couple of questions, as long as you're here:

1) What did you put back in for core?

2) Was the curve of your door already a good fit, and did you use some kind of jig to hold that shape while you worked on it? And/or did you do some shape tweaking as part of the job?

Raya
Old 02-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #6

*struts like a peacock*

Why thank you Larry

Quote:
Feeling purty proud of yourself for such a fine job huh?? See, I told ya not to be afraid of fiberglass work.... Larry
Old 02-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 1984 Perris Pacer ('Tillie')
Brandy,
I am very impressed with the work you have done, you deserve to... !
I will have to do something like that as my pacer door is off quite a bit at the bottom. I was hoping a couple of rachet straps would work, thank you for trying it first!! My door is not very heavy, so with any luck it's not wet or rotten inside.
Thanks for the pics, they help a lot.
Vicki
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I applaud your fortitude Brandy to try it and then to succeed very well. What an inspiration! Thanks for posting the pictures too
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
I did some tweaking on the hinges by adding more spacers to force the door upwards. The I took the door off and proceeded to fiberglass away.

The bottom left of the door fits more snug now by far. I am very pleased with the results.
Brandy--- what do you mean by adding mores spacers to force the door up? Mine was low and I had a machinest friend make me some larger brass thingies. (I would call them by another name, but I would never hear the end of it.....) see picture. Larry
Attached Thumbnails
IM_A0295.JPG  
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:29 AM   #10

Funny thing I was going to go to tacoma screw today looking for thingies...I will take a photo and post it here or send it to you tomorrow....so are you saying I can't buy brass thingies?...cause if not I need your friend to make me some too. Went to the pull apart place today ...SCORE found some edging "stuff" for my door..$4 whooo hooo

Quote:
Brandy--- what do you mean by adding mores spacers to force the door up? Mine was low and I had a machinest friend make me some larger brass thingies. (I would call them by another name, but I would never hear the end of it.....) see picture. Larry
Old 02-28-2010, 04:15 AM   #11

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Scamp sells the brass ball "thingies" that go inside the hinges (if that's what you're meaning). They come as part of a hinge rebuild kit.

Note that the Scamp kit fasteners (the vertical rod) in the kit are mild steel so you would want to replace them with stainless; I'd probably go for grade 316.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #12

Thanks Raya...I will check local first becasue shipping from scamp is a wee bit steep for just one item.......

Quote:
Scamp sells the brass ball "thingies" that go inside the hinges (if that's what you're meaning). They come as part of a hinge rebuild kit.

Note that the Scamp kit fasteners (the vertical rod) in the kit are mild steel so you would want to replace them with stainless; I'd probably go for grade 316.

Raya
Old 05-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #13

Name: Stacy
Trailer: "79 Scamp "Tiny Tow"
Texas
Well, it's been a couple years, but do you remember what you used to glue the vinyl that would allow it to be smoothed out?
Thank you.
StacyJayT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp