flame in 2-burner stovetop - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
flame in 2-burner stovetop

I bought our Boler in the spring and just now am tackling the LP system. The regulator was trash, so I blew out the lines (from the stove out - got all kinds of powder, gunk, and water) and put a new regulator on. Then, I lit the stove. Here is a pic of the flames, everything fully opened. I would have guessed that it would kick out a bigger flame... does this seem normal? Thanks for your help!
Luke
Attached Thumbnails
007.jpg  
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Looks normal to me!
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Those flames look a little bit small to me, so I just lit my stove to compare. I think the flames look larger on mine. If you look down from above, they "stick out" about 1-1/4" on the left burner, and 1" on the right burner (I don't necessarily think they are supposed to be different though).

I'll take a couple of photos and add them shortly.

Edited to add: Hmm, well maybe flames are like waves and snowdrifts, and photographs shrink them Because when I look at these photos.... maybe they are the same as yours? (Now I can't see your photo because I am in the editing screen.) No, looking back at yours, I still think they look a bit "wimpy." Anyway, here are some 1974 Boler flames for comparison:

Click image for larger version

Name:	flame single.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	30853

Click image for larger version

Name:	flame double.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	30854

Oh and I meant to say: Blue counters?! Cool!

Oh, and .... clean! Does the stove cover just pop off? Or? Is yours a Coleman?

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Raya's are bigger but not enough to worry about. Look pretty much the same on our mid/late 70s stove.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #5

Although, I have to say that cooking time on the right-hand burner of my stove (on which the flame is slightly - but not that much - smaller than on the left-hand one) is noticeably longer. Say for making toast or boiling water for coffee. I know it's not the end of the world, but I definitely wouldn't want both my burners like that if I could help it (I have not investigated why the one is smaller, and I don't think it used to be that way but I'm not sure).
Old 08-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #6

Registry
top view

thanks for the thoughts. I'm going to attach a pic I just took from the top, so I can compare it to Raya's top-view. I know how long it takes to boil water with my home stovetop on low, and this is about the 'strength' of the current flame on the stove.

Anybody know how to check the burners themselves?

ALSO Raya, it IS a coleman. And the top easily pops off, and the counter is blue
Attached Thumbnails
003.jpg  
Old 08-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #7

Good idea on the same angle. That makes it much more clear. Hope you didn't melt your camera (of course with that tiny flame, no worries ). I was taking the photo *really* fast over that flame!

This is a bit subjective, but on my left-hand burner (the one you see from above) I really don't notice that it is not a home stove. I have to keep a sharp eye on my toast! But on the right one (which is not that small, and is maybe still larger than the ones on your stove), it takes MUCH longer. So I think it's well worth improving yours (and maybe I will learn something to check for on my right burner).

Coleman stove - okay, yep, that's what mine is. Thanks for the tip on removal of the top; I had to crop my photo so you could not see how many crumbs were down in the knob area

Oh, and speaking of the knobs, that is one thing I love about this stove model. It's the way the burner knobs are recessed below the top of the stove, so you can use that area for a bit of counter space or set a pot there or etc. I've noticed that a lot of other (newer?) stoves do not have that, and so you "lose" the knob area for other purposes.

Blue cabinetry - neato. Have you posted any photos of that, or... would you?

Raya
Old 08-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I think that RV stoves in general are pretty weak compared to household gas stoves. It takes me a long time to cook anything or boil water in my trailer, the Atwood I have is rated 6500 BTU for front burner, 5500 for the rear two. I'm guessing my household stove puts out at least 3x that BTU. I looked around for a higher output replacement stove but the 6500/5500 rating seems pretty standard for camper stoves.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe Deluxe Side Dinette
Registry
Sometimes on older campers, the gas regulator on the outside of the camper gets mucked up or clogged with some corrosion caused by electrolosis from being attached to a steel tank with brass fittings and galvanized parts as well as it being aluminum. If you run one burner at a time, it should be a bigger flame. The gas regulator is easy to replace and not very expensive either.
Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:25 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Our two flames are also small, but we rarely cook inside. We use our Coleman grill outside for 99% of our cooking. Cooking inside adds so much moisture to the trailer!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:47 AM   #11

Registry
sure, I'll clean up my mess and take some pics of the blue cabs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Good idea on the same angle. That makes it much more clear. Hope you didn't melt your camera (of course with that tiny flame, no worries ). I was taking the photo *really* fast over that flame!

This is a bit subjective, but on my left-hand burner (the one you see from above) I really don't notice that it is not a home stove. I have to keep a sharp eye on my toast! But on the right one (which is not that small, and is maybe still larger than the ones on your stove), it takes MUCH longer. So I think it's well worth improving yours (and maybe I will learn something to check for on my right burner).

Coleman stove - okay, yep, that's what mine is. Thanks for the tip on removal of the top; I had to crop my photo so you could not see how many crumbs were down in the knob area

Oh, and speaking of the knobs, that is one thing I love about this stove model. It's the way the burner knobs are recessed below the top of the stove, so you can use that area for a bit of counter space or set a pot there or etc. I've noticed that a lot of other (newer?) stoves do not have that, and so you "lose" the knob area for other purposes.

Blue cabinetry - neato. Have you posted any photos of that, or... would you?

Raya
Old 08-31-2010, 06:50 AM   #12

Registry
I was thinking the same thing Mark, but this is after the regulator was replaced. Interestingly, the flame doesn't change a bit regardless of 1 or both are lit - which was another reason I was thinking something may not be exactly right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shaffer View Post
Sometimes on older campers, the gas regulator on the outside of the camper gets mucked up or clogged with some corrosion caused by electrolosis from being attached to a steel tank with brass fittings and galvanized parts as well as it being aluminum. If you run one burner at a time, it should be a bigger flame. The gas regulator is easy to replace and not very expensive either.