Flashlight with a bonus - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2018, 09:35 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Flashlight with a bonus

I think I recall a recent thread about favorite flashlights.

Here's mine, it offers everyday personal safety, for under $10. Perfect for kids.
Yesterday a neighbor shared with me an article about "lessons learned". One is utterly simple: Carry one of those new LED tactical flashlights with high output. Don't fool around, get one with 15-20,000 lumens & a zoom lens, allowing use in broad daylight. A 60 watt incandescant light bulb is around 800 lumens.
"You can pull out your high lumens pocket flashlight and blind the guy (usually a guy). The high powered beam will take away his vision for 3-4 seconds, which is an eternity and enough time to flight or fight. There’s also no shame in surviving and getting you and your loved ones out of harm." This flashlight is great when you are out in public: "Use and carry your light with you at all times. It’s the best non-lethal and practical option available, in my opinion. You can take it anywhere – including on an airplane – and if it’s a high lumen model it will blind people in broad daylight. I can’t recommend this purchase enough."

TSA allows tactical flashlights upto 7" long in carry on bags:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/securitys...ms/flashlights

Here's a 15,000 lumen model I use, for $9ea., but it is 8" long, or too long for airplane carry on. It is Ok in checked bags, including lithium batteries. You can find more compact ones, usually with fewer lumens. This one's barrel is under an inch, and the head is 1 1/2". It also makes a nice baton.
PS, these same batteries power Tesla cars, but they use pallets of them. Enjoy.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Police-1.../251969789529?
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #2

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
My daughter bought me one of those tactical flashlights with the end tazer for Christmas one year....I nearly fried my sister! Light is good, light and tazer not so good.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Just like having a gun. You must never point it at someone unless you intend to hurt them. Same goes for laser pointers.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Enjoy your light, but don't expect 15,000 lumens. I am dismayed that sellers can get away with such an outlandish claim. I assume from the "T6" that the emitter is an XM-L T6, which might put out 1000 (or a bit more) lumens in a quality flashlight with good heat sink, wiring and contacts. In an Ultrafire I'd expect maybe 700-900 lumens. That said, the focusing head will certainly concentrate that output into a blindingly bright spot.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:46 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I'm a big fan of Maglite flashlights. Made here, quality, etc. A couple years back I bought one for the Trillium. Three D cells, very bright, LED. It worked so well we bought a second. It took about 2 months to fail. In order to provide the flashing, strobe effects, etc. they use a microcontroller inside. As such the flash light has a soft switch. Much like a remote control, the flash light is always on. When you press the on button the controller turn on the flash light. The problem is after time the ends of the batteries oxidize and make a poor connection. Until you clean them the light fails and must be continually restarted. Nothing worse than a flashlight that won't stay on. I'm not saying these will do the same thing but the flashing options scare me away.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:29 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Flashlights have come a long way since I bought this Kel-Lite in 1978. It served me well for many years including one night when I came across a guy who was on top of a girl in the street gutter in a warehouse area at night. He has just ripped her shirt buttons off and was trying to sexually assault her. At one point he grabbed my hand and I could not get free, and as he pulled me closer to him I used the flashlight on the back of his arm to get free from his grip.

Made of solid aircraft aluminum, this light still works but has become less practical than modern LED lights. Still, it has been good to me so I will keep it.

(click on photo to see it's scars better)
Attached Thumbnails
light.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:59 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Mike McGee, Thank you. I think you are telling me a merchant has exagerated the performance of his/her product. Now, why would they do that? Hah! I'm not surprised. That said buy the brightest you can in a size that suits you.

I agree that none should be used casually or carelessly.

Guns and yes, laser pointers are both in waay different categories. Both of those can cause permanent damage.

Here is the international standard for lasers and LEDs. There is a distinction.
Zoom lenses could be an issue.
https://www.lasermet.com/resources/c...n_overview.php

Here are three articles that say an LED flashlight will not cause permanent damage.

https://www.healthtap.com/user_quest...use-eye-damage

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/4...ng-flashlight/

https://www.healthtap.com/topics/how...mage-your-eyes

Your mileage may vary, but I see far less liability. "You will have to pry my flashlight from my cold dead hands."
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:47 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Here's the problem. When the attacker is attacking, in that dark room you inhabit, you need a flashlight, to find the flashlight.
Good luck.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:24 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
a car highbeam is around 1000 lumens... its ludicrous to claim 10000 or 15000 lumens from a LED flashlight. Even a 1000 lumen flashlight is far TOO bright for most purposes you would use a handheld light for

lumens is a measurement of the TOTAL light emitted, its NOT a measurement of how bright it is in the center spot (that would be 'lux' not lumens).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:21 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Just MHO/experience with LED flash lights that no one has mentioned. I've carried and used a MiniMag AA with the glass bulb for over 20 years, for work/home and use it everyday. After 10 years use the last one started acting up so I went to the big box store for a new one. They only carried the MM with the LED bulb and I bought one. I've found its light to be way to bright for almost everything you're looking at close up such as a part number. The intense brightness washes out what you're looking for/at and blinds you with the glare even with the beam well off center. It does work very well for distances over 3' though. One other thing I've noticed after using the LED MM for a while. Just like a Streamlight JR I once used for a while, the batteries seemed to only last about 1/3 as long with the same usage . LEDs are great inside the eggs but..... OK, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:10 AM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
flashlight lumens

no doubt everyone is overating their lights and a light bulb is only rated so many volts jacking it up is the only way to increase the lumins thus the lights are doomed to failure in a short time!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:00 AM   #12

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
A GOOD flashlight is worth its weight in gold. An 6" pink camouflage flashlight with light on one end and a tazer on the other end, not so good. I'd throw it in the dumpster, but don't want to contaminate the dumpster.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:32 AM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
funy

the best flashlight I ever saw was my granpas 4 cell everready. it had a real glass plate and he was constantly polishing that thing. worked great for coon hunting that thing would spot em!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Just MHO/experience with LED flash lights that no one has mentioned. I've carried and used a MiniMag AA with the glass bulb for over 20 years, for work/home and use it everyday. After 10 years use the last one started acting up so I went to the big box store for a new one. They only carried the MM with the LED bulb and I bought one. I've found its light to be way to bright for almost everything you're looking at close up such as a part number. The intense brightness washes out what you're looking for/at and blinds you with the glare even with the beam well off center. It does work very well for distances over 3' though. One other thing I've noticed after using the LED MM for a while. Just like a Streamlight JR I once used for a while, the batteries seemed to only last about 1/3 as long with the same usage . LEDs are great inside the eggs but..... OK, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it .
*good* LED flashlights have a current regulator circuit, so they aren't stupid bright with a new battery but rapidly fall off and get dimmer with battery age. if the flashlight has 3 AAA or AA batteries for 4.5V, its almost certainly unregulated.

My preferred single AAA keychain sized lights have typically 3 brightness levels, a dim mode very suitable for close range work in dark places, a medium mode for most things and a turbo bright mode where you need the extra kick, like for seeing across a dark field at night. the one I carry every day lasts like 5 hours of continuous on in 'medium' on a single AAA cell, its 0.5" diameter, and 2.5" long, and has a tempered glass lens so it doesn't scratch. the brightest 'turbo' mode is about 100 lumens. its also a very natural white, neither cool nor warm. if anyone cares, its a Fenix LD01, but I think that model has been replaced. it also wasn't cheap.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:01 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
At the Big Tent Show at Quartzsite this year I purchased a rechargeable Nitecore TINI keychain flashlight. $20.00, although they went up to $25.00 the next day due to supply & demand. It produces 3 brightness levels with the "standard" button, and has a "Turbo" button that is scary. More light than my full sized 3 "C" cell flashlight, although it only lasts 15 minutes on turbo, and gets hot.

Recharges via USB cable. My only complaint is it sometimes turns on in my pocket (on the low settings) when I bend just right (or better said, wrong).
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #16
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
*good* LED flashlights have a current regulator circuit, so they aren't stupid bright with a new battery but rapidly fall off and get dimmer with battery age. if the flashlight has 3 AAA or AA batteries for 4.5V, its almost certainly unregulated.

My preferred single AAA keychain sized lights have typically 3 brightness levels, a dim mode very suitable for close range work in dark places, a medium mode for most things and a turbo bright mode where you need the extra kick, like for seeing across a dark field at night. the one I carry every day lasts like 5 hours of continuous on in 'medium' on a single AAA cell, its 0.5" diameter, and 2.5" long, and has a tempered glass lens so it doesn't scratch. the brightest 'turbo' mode is about 100 lumens. its also a very natural white, neither cool nor warm. if anyone cares, its a Fenix LD01, but I think that model has been replaced. it also wasn't cheap.
I have a simple version of the Fenix. Like a Maglite, you rotate the head to turn it on. As white LEDs require 3+ volts to bias they have incorporated a DC to DC converter to run on a single AAA. Very clever.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:18 AM   #17

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I'm a flashlight fanatic by most.. to the point Surefire offered to make me a dealer in 03... I've got quite a few of them. (Replaced most bulbs with Malloff LEDs). LED Lenser makes a few really good flashlights that use 3 AAA battery's 60 lumin rated like Surefire P60 started but with LED. Done the Brinkmans for years almost all have choked on me when needed. Currently have a Bushnell 1AA battery, IPROTEC 1AA battery, Top tactical flashlight on my vest. All 3 of them have been good for there purpose. I've got 2 Streamlight rechargeable duty issued that fail to work when needed. Now the TLR2 issued works without failure. The Bushnell is a good working light the others good for temp blinding of someone it will too with fresh battery too. Don't know about the stungun flashlights... I carry a X26E for that duty 😉 i've probably spent average $500 a year or more on flashlights and battery's but I do work at night.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light