Flat Pin vs Round Pin Connectors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2003, 01:55 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Flat Pin vs Round Pin Connectors

I've always replaced those flat plastic round pin connectors, thinking they were a little cheap and cheezy, with the big 7-pin Bargman type with the flat pins. However, it seems that just about every other time I hook up, something doesn't work. A little fiddling with the connector, scratching the pins and sockets with a small screw driver, etc. ususally gets the connection going. But I wonder if there is a better solution

I checked out a truck stop. The connectors that are sold at that place all had round pins. I would imagine a fellow making his living driving an 18 wheeler wouldn't have much patience with a truck-trailer connector that had to be massaged every other time it was used.

Does anyone have a serious opinion on which is better, flat or round connector pins?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 02:26 PM   #2

Loren,
You might consider buying some electronics cleaner and spraying off your connectors periodically. The cleaner can be found at Radio Shack or auto parts stores.

I also use a liberal amount of di-electric grease in my connectors to keep the contacts free of corrosion.

Old 04-05-2003, 03:51 PM   #3

Hi Loren
We had the same problem and usually ended up replacing the connector on the van every 2 years it got so bad. Then we decided to keep the connector inside the van instead of screwed on the hitch. When we tow the trailer we just hang the plug out under the back of the hatch. Been like this for 4 years now and not a problem.
Nancy

Old 04-05-2003, 05:27 PM   #4

Nancy, that is a good idea. It is obviously rain-water that is causing tarnishing of the contact surfaces, and it rains a lot here in western Washington. The problem for me is that I use a Pull-Rite hitch, so it wouldn't work for a hitch that swings around the back of the towing vehicle.

Actually, I have found my problem is usually in the trailer side plug. The contacts in the plug lose their spring arc shape and don't exert enough pressure on the pins from the vehicle socket.

I also agree that if I would be more diligent in my connector maintenance, much of my problem would be resolved. But it is one of those things that is "out-of-sight -- out-of-mind" until I need it to work. If I had my choice, I would throw a few bucks at it and an afternoon and not have to attend to it again. That's why I wondered if those truckers might just be on to something.

Old 04-05-2003, 10:43 PM   #5

trailer plug

Loren, I spray both plug and socket with WD40 and I do it every
few months on all my trailers and don't have any trouble with them.
Two of my trailers are over 10 years old and are out all year, I turn the plugs down so the water won't get in to them. Jay

Old 04-06-2003, 07:42 PM   #6

Protect from Weather

My Scamp uses the 7 ping connectors with round conductors the Scamp installed when new. I've had no problems. :wink

One secret I have is the tow vehicle side connection is kept inside the back of my Jeep. The trailer side is stored under the propane bottles, somewhat protected from weather. :thumb

-- Dan Meyer

Old 04-06-2003, 10:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Orginally posted by Dan Meyer

My Scamp uses the 7 ping connectors with round conductors the Scamp installed when new. I've had no problems. :wink

One secret I have is the tow vehicle side connection is kept inside the back of my Jeep. The trailer side is stored under the propane bottles, somewhat protected from weather. :thumb

-- Dan Meyer
I tuck my trailer side under the bottles too. :)

Old 04-07-2003, 11:34 AM   #8

Thanks for all your suggestions. It's probably a pipe-dream to think I could install a new connector of a different style and then never have to think about it again. My wife complains that because I fix everything, we can never get anything new. Now I'm beginning to think she's right. Because I can fix the old connector, I can't even justify getting a new connector.

Actually, my brother who lives down in Oregon, had an interesting idea. He claims he has never seen our Jimmy more than 6 feet from the Scamp. So why not just leave them hitched up, delete the connector and hard-wire the electrics straight through. Just think'in: I'd probably be a rich man if I had followed through on all my brother's advice. And he would likely be a rich man if he had followed all my advice!!