Floor "Firmness" In Bigfoot 25'ers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
Floor "Firmness" In Bigfoot 25'ers

Hi,
I'm about to drive a very long way from Portland, Oregon to Duluth, Minn. to buy a 2005 25' rear bed Bigfoot. The owner told me on the phone that when he walks directly above the three 45 gal. tanks, he can feel the floor "give" a little. Those areas are not as solid feeling as the rest of the floor. Would you please be so kind as to tell me what you think about his comments and what you experience with your 25' rear bed trailer?

Ron Nixon
canadian1946@gmail.com
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I don't have a Bigfoot, but while we're waiting to hear from someone that does:

I wonder how "big" the owner is, if you know what I mean...I wouldn't be surprised at a bit of flex above a broad expanse like a tank, though.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #3

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
I have a 2007 25' rear queen and I have not noticed any flex in the floor. It is not possible to see how the floor is supported around the tanks because they are enclosed. There are quite a few cross members everywhere else under the trailer, so I would imagine they put one between each tank. That might be a bit wider than elsewhere, but the underside is fiberglass with insulation and a plywood floor and should be fairly sturdy. The tanks sit below the fiberglass underbelly. I highly doubt that there has been any kind of water damage that would have affected the floor.

We have had the Bigfoot for about a year. Previously, we had a 1985, 16' Scamp that I renovated and used for about 5 years. We plan to travel for longer periods in a few years and our Scamp was a basic model without a bath, so we intended to upgrade eventually. We stumbled across the Bigfoot before we really needed it, but it was 10 minutes down the road and the price was right. I knew that if I passed it up I would have to work much harder to find one later on. (I drove across the state, from Port Angeles to Goldendale, just to buy a Scamp that was much more beat up than it looked in the photos.) So far we really like the trailer. It is certainly much bigger and heavier than the Scamp, but it has everything. My wife loves it. After redoing the Scamp and seeing every aspect of how it is constructed, the Bigfoot is simply put together better. Of course, it weighs over twice as much and cost three times more, so it should be. If it were me, I would make the drive to MN to get one. Just get lots and lots of photos first so there are no surprises--you are not in a very good bargaining position after having driven that far if you find a problem. If the person thinks that the floor is an issue, maybe use it to negotiate a lower price, but I can't imagine there being any trouble.

One problem I did have was a water leak from the fridge side vent--the plastic frame was slightly twisted and since there was no lip inside the vent door the water went right in, ran across the board underneath the fridge, and into the trailer from just under the fridge. I believe the fridge vent cover is a flawed design. I added a lip inside fabricated from weatherstripping and caulk. The framing around the cabinets is, unfortunately, vinyl covered wood and is slightly damaged from the water. I wish they used real wood for the frames like they do for the cabinet doors. Another problem was the furnace refusing to kick on. The cause, after much trial and error, was due to one loose connection. One of the wheel bearings was damaged and had to be replaced, and the previous owners had blown a tire due to neglecting the tire pressure. I would be a little concerned with towing a trailer as far as you intend without checking it over myself. Hopefully they can prove the bearing have been done recently. When I sold our Scamp, it took time to help the buyer set up the weight distributing hitch to work with his vehicle. Particularly problematic was the ball height--be sure you have the right tools or know for certain that your hitch setup will work. By the way, my total weight is around 5600 lbs. with nearly a 600 pound tongue weight.

Other than that, I have been adding improvements rather than repairing. The trailer is solid, but it seems that all manufacturers skimp on things that aren't readily visible to a potential buyer or likely to increase the probability of a sale. I have added a few items I considered necessary and done a number of minor repairs:

hardwired surge protector
charge wizard (critical if wish to recharge the batter with a generator in less than 12 hours)
Trimetric battery monitor (without this you won't really know when to start the generator)
LED bulbs throughout (they use about 1/10th the electricity)
Fantastic vent outside cover (the vent is above the bed, so don't want to risk water intrusion here)
Antenna (the "hidden" antenna is a few strips of foil stuck to wood behind fridge--it never found a channel)
Heat strip for AC (just because the knob says "heat" doesn't mean that it will...)
stainless hardware (nuts, washers, and screws in misc. spots like spare tire, propane cover, etc.)
hinge support for lid behind dinette (got tired of holding it up with my head)
painted bumper (poor paint adhesion--scraped right off; I hope the frame paint lasts longer)

I wish the trailer had room for two batteries, as we can only go about two days if we use the furnace. Keep this in mind if you don't have hookups on your way home.

Well, that's probably more than you wanted to know. Feel free to ask if you have other questions.

Derek
Derek Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: Bigfoot 25.5 RQ
British Columbia
Bill on VanIsle

Ron....I sent you an email on your gmail address in your post....did you get it?
Bill
Bill on VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #5

Name: Joe
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
I have a 2004 25 ft. RQ with the same soft floor problem. I'm confident there is no moisture problem and I attribute it to the 230 I'm putting on it. We don't pay attention to it.

I know this is late as I am new to this foum. I hope you brought back a fine example of the 25 rear queen.

This won't make you feel better. We decided to move up from our Coleman tent trailer to relish a toilet, shower and walk around bed. I did my research and determined the 25B25RQ was the trailer I wanted. I searched long and hard and got frustrated then gave up. On a lark, 4 months later, I checked Craigs List and lightly used sample had just been posted in North Portland 15 miles from my house! I beat the other callers there and bought it on the spot.

There were some problem areas that were easy fixes but overall we are extremely happy with the trailer.
BurbDurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
Talking

Thanks everyone for your comments. I decided to not buy the one in Duluth because of the distance and cost of fuel for my 2013 Silverado, 3/4 ton, 6 liter, gas engine. I get on average 9.8 mpg.
I did, however, end up owning two 25'ers at one time for about three weeks. It's a very long story. I did keep the 2007 rear bed one because it had the interior wood color I wanted as well as the appliance color I wanted. The previous owner did an incredible job installing a 300 watt solar system in it which means that I can live entirely off the grid (unless I need to fire up the A/C). This makes my fourth Bigfoot that I've owned so you must know that I'm convinced that Bigfoot makes the best trailer on the planet. I even tried a 2012 Airstream 19'er (same floorplan as a Bigfoot 21'er) for six weeks. I couldn't wait to sell it. Shiny walls and ceiling. Horrible "cold", as in bright white interior lighting. It was $42,000. The new owners were happy to pay the money for the tin can. And I'm happy too with my new-to-me 2007 Bigfoot. It's a good choice for my upcoming full-time adventure.
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot