Floor insulation - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #21

Name: mary
Trailer: 2000 17' Burro
California
so it would be from bottom to top:
fiberglass, plywood, foam, plywood, vinyl.
meryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:19 PM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by meryone View Post
Since I've already purchased and installed and when I say installed I mean interlock the pieces and cut to fit, does it matter if I just leave the plywood in, have the foam and can I add another piece of plywood, if so how thick, and then proceed with my vinyl?
You can add more plywood but: it adds weight and reduces your head space.
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:21 PM   #23

British Columbia
Quote:
Since I've already purchased and installed and when I say installed I mean interlock the pieces and cut to fit, does it matter if I just leave the plywood in, have the foam and can I add another piece of plywood, if so how thick, and then proceed with my vinyl?
If you want to keep the plywood and foam already installed, then you could add a very thin plywood subfloor (as thin as you can find) then add vinyl.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:23 PM   #24

California
and would I just secure by screwing some sort of trim around the edges?
Old 05-30-2017, 08:46 PM   #25

British Columbia
Quote:
and would I just secure by screwing some sort of trim around the edges?
Good question, but i would secure it well with screws or glue otherwise your the plywood will move and the vinyl will not stay together properly Cut round holes in the foam (the diameter of the washers) where you want to screw down the plywood. Stack washers (or another spacer of some kind) the thickness of the foam, then screw down. This will prevent compressing the foam.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:49 PM   #26

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by David D View Post
Good question, but i would secure it well with screws or glue otherwise your the plywood will move and the vinyl will not stay together properly Cut round holes in the foam (the diameter of the washers) where you want to screw down the plywood. Stack washers (or another spacer of some kind) the thickness of the foam, then screw down. This will prevent compressing the foam.
Countersink the screws so they do not protrude. Then fill screw head with filler. Then install vinyl.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:55 PM   #27

California
Great Tip! When you screwed down your plywood after using the reflectix did you need to add spacers of any kind or was it thin enough not to require them?
Old 05-30-2017, 10:16 PM   #28

British Columbia
Quote:
Great Tip! When you screwed down your plywood after using the reflectix did you need to add spacers of any kind or was it thin enough not to require them?
It was thin enough no spacers required.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:16 PM   #29

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by David D View Post
It was thin enough no spacers required.
Good luck email anytime about anything
Old 05-31-2017, 03:55 AM   #30

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I have learned in the 30+ years in the building trades that the only way that insulation works efficiently is not to compress it. The air spaces in the product, no mater what it is, foam, fiberglass (Pink Stuff) or bubbles, is the insulateing factor and makes it work.
I think if the 1/2 inch thick foam pads are used, one would have to support the plywood with 1/2 inch spacers, to allow the insulateing air bubbles in the foam to work. If compressed...it wouldn't be any more then putting a sheet of rubber down for insulation.
I have insulated water-lines in a campground, New Hampshire, that were only down 15 inches with just straw. The trick is to fluff this straw up over it to allow air-space...
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote