Floor insulation - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #1
Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
Posts: 56
Floor insulation

I have a 79 Surfside (with FG bottom). The original floor was half inch plywood directly on top of FG. Has anyone insulated the floor with a layer of insulation between the plywood and the FG? If so what did you use?
Dave
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
kirkman's Avatar
 
Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Posts: 657
Registry
I bought the foam pads that lock togeather like a puzzle. I got them at Walmart in the workout section for $10 they work great.
I camp in my egg camper all winter!
__________________
Jason
If you think you are to small to make a difference just try sleeping with a mosquito - The Dally Lama
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
I bought the foam pads that lock togeather like a puzzle. I got them at Walmart in the workout section for $10 they work great.
I camp in my egg camper all winter!
Thx Kirkman,
Good idea!
Are the foam pads below a layer of plywood or do you walk right on the pads. I am curious about condensation below the wood, with and without insulation.
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
John in Michigan's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Posts: 1,548
Registry
We do the same as Kirkman (puzzle shaped 1/2" thick 2'x2' foam tiles). On top of that we have small rectangular area rugs that cover the foam tiles. The foam tiles result in a much warmer floor.
John in Michigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
SilverGhost's Avatar
 
Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Posts: 329
I have a 2011 Egg and I like kirkman's idea. We camped one winter and the bed sheets froze to the fiber glass wall. Maybe that and add a layer of foam board (from home improvement store) right to the under side?

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:43 PM   #6
Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
We do the same as Kirkman (puzzle shaped 1/2" thick 2'x2' foam tiles). On top of that we have small rectangular area rugs that cover the foam tiles. The foam tiles result in a much warmer floor.
Hi John, thx for that. Are your foam pads overtop plywood or fibreglass. My fibre glass floor is flexible and therefore it needs plywood on top. I think the foam pads would work under the plywood.
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:22 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
Posts: 1,708
We use the same 2 x 2 x 1/2in foam pads, from home depot in our Boler and it just lays on top of the fiberglass and we walk on it.
We use to camp 52 weeks a year up here in central NH and Maine and it did help keep the cold out.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:55 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
John in Michigan's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Posts: 1,548
Registry
Dave, on our Trillium 4500 we put the foam pads on top of the floor. The floor of our Trillium 4500 is built like this from top to bottom:

1. rugs
2. foam pads
3. floor top (fiberglass)
4. plywood layer for strength and rigidity
5. trailer bottom shell (fiberglass)

If you want to put insulation under your plywood, you should probably use a rigid dense material such as extruded polyurethane board. Others may have suggestions.
John in Michigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:02 AM   #9
Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
Posts: 56
Thanks for the help on this everyone!
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:21 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
kirkman's Avatar
 
Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Posts: 657
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David D View Post
Thx Kirkman,
Good idea!
Are the foam pads below a layer of plywood or do you walk right on the pads. I am curious about condensation below the wood, with and without insulation.
I walk right on them. I laid them right over the existing floor.
__________________
Jason
If you think you are to small to make a difference just try sleeping with a mosquito - The Dally Lama
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:17 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Name: mary
Trailer: 2000 17' Burro
California
Posts: 25
what are your thoughts on using these foam pads then plywood then vinyl? I love the feel of these foam pads but not necessarily the look/ease of cleaning, particularly with my dog, as vinyl.
meryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:57 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
Posts: 1,708
This could be done but I think the squishing of the foam may take the insulation factor out of the equation.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:10 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Name: mary
Trailer: 2000 17' Burro
California
Posts: 25
Are you referring to the addition of plywood and then the vinyl? Other than the to the touch it would be different, wouldn't it still provide the insulation? This is considering we've removed the carpet down to the very uneven sub floor I guess you would call it. We would use these interlocking pieces as a means of insulation and cushion to then place a thin layer (size ?) of plywood that would then take the vinyl. Does this sound right or no?
meryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:35 PM   #14
Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by meryone View Post
Are you referring to the addition of plywood and then the vinyl? Other than the to the touch it would be different, wouldn't it still provide the insulation? This is considering we've removed the carpet down to the very uneven sub floor I guess you would call it. We would use these interlocking pieces as a means of insulation and cushion to then place a thin layer (size ?) of plywood that would then take the vinyl. Does this sound right or no?
Hi meryone, i recently removed the old plywood, installed reflextix insulation, then installed new plywood, then I will install vinyl. This should provide better insulation than the original and it only adds 1\8 to the floor height.
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:38 PM   #15
Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by David D View Post
Hi meryone, i recently removed the old plywood, installed reflextix insulation, then installed new plywood, then I will install vinyl. This should provide better insulation than the original and it only adds 1\8 to the floor height.
The reflextix is considerably cheaper than the interlocking foam pads. In Canada the pads are 24.00 CDN each Ouch!
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:38 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Name: mary
Trailer: 2000 17' Burro
California
Posts: 25
Hey David. when you removed the old plywood, do you mean you removed the plywood down to the trailer frame? If so, yikes, I'm new at this and don't know that I want to go that far. I must wanted to get rid of the carpet and put in vinyl but when I read all the posts on how great the foam pads were, I thought that would be a great cushion and insulator. We put the foam pads in this past week end and really like how they feel underfoot but definitely don't want that as a finished floor.
meryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:48 PM   #17
Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by meryone View Post
Hey David. when you removed the old plywood, do you mean you removed the plywood down to the trailer frame? If so, yikes, I'm new at this and don't know that I want to go that far. I must wanted to get rid of the carpet and put in vinyl but when I read all the posts on how great the foam pads were, I thought that would be a great cushion and insulator. We put the foam pads in this past week end and really like how they feel underfoot but definitely don't want that as a finished floor.
No, my Surfside has a FG bottom. So now I have from bottom to top: FG, reflectix, plywood, vinyl.
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:51 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Name: mary
Trailer: 2000 17' Burro
California
Posts: 25
What/how did you do to remove the plywood above the fiberglass given all the molded benches, cabinets, shower, etc.?
meryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:55 PM   #19
Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by meryone View Post
What/how did you do to remove the plywood above the fiberglass given all the molded benches, cabinets, shower, etc.?
I gutted the Surfside exposed the floor then removed it. The Surfside does not have molded FG benches. The benches are framed with wood. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170526_100436.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	106795photo shows the new plywood floor.
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:56 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Name: mary
Trailer: 2000 17' Burro
California
Posts: 25
Since I've already purchased and installed and when I say installed I mean interlock the pieces and cut to fit, does it matter if I just leave the plywood in, have the foam and can I add another piece of plywood, if so how thick, and then proceed with my vinyl?
meryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Insulation under the floor? hiker22 Modifications, Alterations and Updates 20 12-16-2016 04:34 PM
Under floor insulation? dylanear Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 27 03-01-2016 06:54 PM
Floor insulation jwcolby54 Modifications, Alterations and Updates 20 02-23-2016 08:22 PM
Boler Floor Insulation rubbie Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 7 04-26-2015 05:24 PM
Coroplast/Rigid Foam for Floor Insulation Evan Friesen Modifications, Alterations and Updates 14 05-30-2013 10:52 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.