Floor repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2017, 04:14 PM   #1

Name: ed
Trailer: 17 boler
British Columbia
Floor repair

Hi I have a1977 rear gaucho 17ft boler my boler has fiberglass cabinets fiberglass on top of floor then plywood then fiberglass on bottom I've have a soft spot by the door and by the bathroom door cabinets r u big to get thru the door so how can I repair these spots and is there supports under the plywood
elash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:00 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
That may be where it is soft, but do not be surprised if the damaged area is larger.

Not sure if yours is like this one, but I really liked this video:

thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #3

Name: ed
Trailer: 17 boler
British Columbia
Floor repair

Thanks yes I've seen that video still I have to work around cabinets I can't move a little tricky
elash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #4

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
I haven't got my build thread up to date but if you want to check out how I dismantled the floor area needing repair, and the tools I used, you can check out my build thread in the link below (if you see a VW Bug build thread pop up it's the other link). I was able to leave much of the lower layer of fiberglass in place and also left a shelf, or flange, in place along the outer edge so the body would be supported by the floor going into and under it. I laid fiberglass on the bottom of the plywood before installing it, and let that resin cure before flipping it over and wiggling it into place. Maybe some of these tools would be useful to your approach as you can't just run a sawzall across the whole thing like that guy in the video (it wasn't my approach either). Good luck!!!!
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:42 PM   #5
AKS

Name: Amanda
Trailer: 1977 Boler '13
Tennessee
Interesting. I am trying to imagine what you are referencing...is the top layer of fiberglass connected to the cabinets etc? Or? I also have a 77 Boler and I only had carpet on top of fiberglass. How do you know the plywood is there? I'd love to hear how you solve the soft spots! I laid underlayment and vinyl planks on mine for support, but may need to follow your lead at some point.
AKS is offline   Reply With Quote