Flooring - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Flooring

Anyone have an easy way to remove old vinyl flooring from the plywood floors of a Boler? I have been at it with a chisel for 2 days now and only 1/2 way done. Worst part is the last owner put stick on tiles over the original floor and I want it all out and replace with a lightweight flooring.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
Anyone have an easy way to remove old vinyl flooring from the plywood floors of a Boler? I have been at it with a chisel for 2 days now and only 1/2 way done. Worst part is the last owner put stick on tiles over the original floor and I want it all out and replace with a lightweight flooring.
Try one of the multi function oscillating power tools like the one in the link below.
They are frequently on sale for $29.

Oscillating Multifunction Power Tool & Other Oscillating Tools - Harbor Freight Tools
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #3

Registry
That's fine once the flooring is actually out and just have the paper backing to get off the plywood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
Try one of the multi function oscillating power tools like the one in the link below.
They are frequently on sale for $29.

Oscillating Multifunction Power Tool & Other Oscillating Tools - Harbor Freight Tools
Old 04-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
That's fine once the flooring is actually out and just have the paper backing to get off the plywood.
If you use the scraper blade and put the blade between the vinyl flooring and the plywood while lifting the vinyl it should work better than anything else that I can think of. The expensive brands of this type of tool advertise using it for removing flooring. I have not used mine for removing flooring but it works much better than I expected for many things.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
If it's stuck down that well, can you just apply the new vinyl over the top? I'm lazy, and I don't know any better, so that's what I would do.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
I used a heat gun and a paint scraper to remove the linoleum in my 17 ft Boler. I first scribed the lino into small manageable squares, applied heat at the high setting and scraped the squares up. Works fairly well. Use the proper respirator. I will be posting a video shortly showing this method. Look for it in 17 ft. Boler restoration part 7.
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:59 AM   #7

Registry
Flooring

I want to get the 2 layers that are in there out , it is all about weight savings. Every pound lost is added gas mileage.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
If it's stuck down that well, can you just apply the new vinyl over the top? I'm lazy, and I don't know any better, so that's what I would do.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:00 AM   #8

Registry
Flooring

Now there is the anwser I was looking for, thanks for the suggustion. Will give that a try.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin61 View Post
I used a heat gun and a paint scraper to remove the linoleum in my 17 ft Boler. I first scribed the lino into small manageable squares, applied heat at the high setting and scraped the squares up. Works fairly well. Use the proper respirator. I will be posting a video shortly showing this method. Look for it in 17 ft. Boler restoration part 7.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
I want to get the 2 layers that are in there out , it is all about weight savings. Every pound lost is added gas mileage.

Rick
I am inclined to think otherwise. I tow a cargo trailer every day for work, and it seems to make no difference whether it's empty or loaded up with 1800 lbs of books, fuel economy is the same. A headwind or lack thereof makes far more difference.

Anyhow, glad you got a good suggestion to help you achieve your goal.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote