Florida Newbie needs ac help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 05:30 PM   #1

Name: Shaun
Trailer: Uhaul 13
Florida
Florida Newbie needs ac help

I am about to start my reno on my Uhaul 13 and dont want make mistakes and therefore I reaching out to those who know more than me and I am sure that is everyone.

Reading threads I see lots of comments on ac but very few folks from Florida.

No ac, no camping.

I would prefer rooftop as it appears as if there is less modification.
What ac do you suggest and is it worth going with 24v. I see some folks say roof top is no problem, I see other say only with area reinforcement. Which is it.

If It has to be reinforced, how is this achieved. Photos would be amazing.

My goal is to decide what ac works best and then build a lithium/ solar system to try support as much of the load as possible.

Thanks for the help
Shaunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:24 PM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If you leave off the desire for having a solar/Lithium battery power for the AC then you have a much better chance of camping in Florida.
AC is needed basically 24/7 (at least for me at 72 in north Florida).
Further south then it is even more important.
We camp almost exclusively at powered campgrounds and have only occasionally "boondocked" out west and north at national and state parks.
This was NOT in hot and humid conditions and we also have inverter generators if necessary as we also use out Scamp as our hurricane go box and ham radio ARES / CERT emergency response unit.
If you feel that making the AC environmentally friendly I suggest you are making the system a magnitude more complicated and expensive.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:27 PM   #3

Name: Shaun
Trailer: Uhaul 13
Florida
Thanks

I am open to any and all suggestions. I just want top be well informed so my 1st mate wont have to tell me " see I told you so"

If it means ac runs of shore power or generator, then so be it. Ac wins at all costs.
Shaunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:17 PM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
IF you will always have shore power or a generator, Install (as I did) a window AC Unit from any discount box store and get the 2 year warranty for a few bucks more. 5,000 o5 6,000 more than enough and a good QUIET portable generator will run it nicely. For zero body mods, weld (bolt) a frame on the tongue to elevate it to the front window and then install it into the window which will need the plastic modified to accommodate the ac unit. I mounter mine below the Scamp belt and it has worked fine for almost 2 years with a few trips of over 1,000 miles away. Did have to make a reinforcement for the body just to be sure, but no weight on the roof as many older units do not have the strength for a 13,500 RV unit. ENJOY!
Bob Durrstein is offline   Reply With Quote