Foam for seat cushions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
Foam for seat cushions

Where should I look to get new foam for the seats in my CT. What is in there needs to be replaced.
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Shop locally. Shipping foam is expensive because of size. Besides, if you can find something local, you can give it a "sit" test. And you will want to know about density/height... your needs may be different than others needs.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #3

Georgia
Registry
I guess just a regular upholstery shop. I'm going to have the original covers dry cleaned.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Donna has a good point about the density, online stores may give a figure for it, but I don't know what that translates to for feel. Foam sources are a frequent topic on teardrop forums, all those homemade campers need a mattress. Joann fabric stores may be a source. For a mattress for our Uhaul we got a 5" thick piece online from JC Penney and cut it to fit rather than use all the cushions. Our bed stays made up all the time. It was on sale at the time. I think I have a list of online sources, but it's home in my teardrop file and we won't be home for another month. foam can be quite expensive. It cuts good with an electric kitchen knife.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Ventura
We're using a foam called Ultracel 35. The firmness is a compromise for sitting and sleeping. If we weighed a few pounds more I would up it to 45 - for sitting comfort anyhow.
Darrell O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #6

Name: Deb
Trailer: Sold:::SCAMP
Arizona
After searching around we found the best price at JoAnns Fabric the week they had 50% off with an additional coupon they offered. Quite a savings.We bought 5" high density foam to sit on and had to throw out our original covers - they had decayed out here in AZ
Old 01-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #7

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Chris, do you have a local "Ollie's" Store? If so They sell foam, from time to time.
Really inexpensively. That's where I am going to get mine. Spring is the season they are most likely to have it. Good Luck!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
I bought 4" foam cushions from:

www.buyfoam.com/Store_Start.aspx

Custom cut foam to your door, fast and easy.

They sell several different types, take a look.

I got the XL-38 in 4"

1 - 26" x 76".....1- 20" x 76".....2 - 24" x 45"....2 - 15" x 43"

$316 delivered to Indiana

All the foam came packed in 2 boxes about 16" x 16" x 28" in size. When I cut the tape, the boxes started popping seams and expanding really quickly. It was a fantastic show!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #9

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
If your near an Ikea, they usually have a as-is section and Ive bought foam matresses for boat cushions in their at greatly reduced prices that were set up as demo bed's or unopened returns etc... worth checking out!

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I bought new foam for our boler a few years ago. Cost something like 400$ to do the dinette area! Very happy with it, and it's supposed to be top quality but MAN! It hurt to shell out that coin.
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:18 AM   #11

Georgia
Registry
That's going to be the hard part, the $. But I took one of the cushions apart and the foam has an odor to it that is just too bad to sprat it and move on. Besides we are a family blessed with allergies and this camper had set closed up with bad leaking windows for 5 plus years. Not taking a chance on mold or anything else that might be growing in them. And having the covers cleaned and a few of the zippers replaced at the same time will just make it that much better. If it needs to be cleaned again later there will not be a problem there either.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
I'm going to have the original covers dry cleaned.

You can wash them in the washing machine! Gentle, COLD! Hang to dry! I did my foam as well, but my foam was only a year old where yours may already be broken down. But it's worth a try!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #13

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
We washed our Uhaul cushions in a machine cold gentle cycle air dry with excellent results. New foam for the cushion part needs to be firm, made the mistake of buying some at a fabric store which was too soft. You will pay $$ for the right stuff . We bought surplus cushions from bottomdollarsurplus eBay store and put them under VT bed area with good results. The cushions were made out of the right foam.I think you could take the foam out of similar sized cushions and use 3m foam glue to add areas where needed to save $. Don't know the thickness of the CT bunk cushions I used 4" for mine.
Michael J
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #14

Georgia
Registry
I'm thinking mine is 4" as we'll. I will take some to the laundromat and give it a whirl!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #15

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
By air dry I ment line dry not dryer
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #16

Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
By air dry I ment line dry not dryer
Nice sunny day!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I replaced my lousy OEM foam with "superfoam" from a local shop, Oklahoma Upholstery Supply, Fabrics by OUS-Wholesale upholstery fabrics and supplies for home and office furniture and they cut it to my specs while I waited. They do ship the stuff, but no idea how much that costs.

"Superfoam" is quite dense and firm. Good to sit on, but not necessarily needed for back cushions, and makes a very firm bed. Their next step down in denseness and price was called "tulsafoam" (go figure).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #18

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
We bought foam from a local shop that specializes in boat cushions and marine upholstery. The advantage was that he had nice big pieces that we could lie and sit down on to test for firmness. He also wrapped the cushions in a nice soft fiberfill batting for an additional small charge. That means that the slipcovers, which I'm sewing, will fit nice and tight and look more professional.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:14 AM   #19

Name: Deb
Trailer: Sold:::SCAMP
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
We bought foam from a local shop that specializes in boat cushions and marine upholstery. The advantage was that he had nice big pieces that we could lie and sit down on to test for firmness. He also wrapped the cushions in a nice soft fiberfill batting for an additional small charge. That means that the slipcovers, which I'm sewing, will fit nice and tight and look more professional.
On making my own covers and I'm sure many of you know that wrapping the cushions with batting is a must. From YouTube we learned how to put the cushions into the cover without a hassle. Bag it, use vacuum to suck the air out which shrinks the foam, place in cover, release, and tear the bag out. Makes it so easy.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #20

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Mike, thanks so much for that link. I didn't know about that place.

Next time I am in Tulsa I'll have some measurements and visit the place, probably in November as I like to come down and get pecans. Bet the pecan harvest 2012 was pretty poor. We didn't come then.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote