Foam liners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2007, 11:41 AM   #1

Trailer: Predom Prespol (N126N) Captain
Registry
We are trailer newbies and have obtained a Predom Prespol fiberglass trailer (shell made in Poland, then interior was finished in Canada, 1988) and the lining was pretty gross so we ripped it all out. It was a knitted material with a foam backing that had totally disintegrated.

I've read the threads about Ensolite and automotive headliner. I went to an Ensolite dealer website and had trouble figuring out which is appropriate. The customer service rep was less than helpful. Soooo I have a couple of questions.

1. What is the number/type of Ensolite - there are quite a few types.

2. Is the ensolite always painted once it is installed as many of the products seem to come in black?

3. Are Volara/Volextra/Minicel brands the same thing (made by Sekisui Voltek)? There seem to various polymers used and I don't know if that matters.

4. Is this stuff fire-retardant?

5. Do you glue it on to the shell with adhesive (spray or otherwise)?

6. Is automotive headliner reasonable waterproof so condensation doesn't form on the shell when cooking, breathing, etc.

Thanks for any help. We need it!!
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
2. Is the ensolite always painted once it is installed as many of the products seem to come in black?
The original Ensolite as used in Bolers seems to black natural rubber foam with a plastic top layer (probably PVC, a.k.a. "vinyl") - the Ensolite documentation tends to call this "NBR/PVC". Lots of people paint it to improve the appearance when it gets old, but I don't think it's ever black to start; perhaps a black "Ensolite" is the rubber foam without a plastic top layer?

Quote:
5. Do you glue it on to the shell with adhesive (spray or otherwise)?
Yes, it's normally glued on. To re-install some foam lining in my Boler (but mine's not Ensolite...) I used a spray adhesive from 3M.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:35 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
6. Is automotive headliner reasonable waterproof so condensation doesn't form on the shell when cooking, breathing, etc.
Condensation is the result of a cold surface in contact with moist air. Whether the material is waterproof or not will not affect the formation of condensation; it's the insulation value which matters.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote